Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Educational Management, Expert in Evaluation Office, Medical Education and Development Center, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
Ph.D. in Health Services Management, Assistant Professor of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
Ph.D. in Management, Manager of Provincial Affairs, Management and Programming Organization, Tehran, Iran
M.Sc. in Research, Research Expert, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
Background & Objective : One of the main problems which must be considered by the universities of medical sciences nationwide is to establish a solidarity system for providing desirable services and use of strategic methods in order to increase quality of services Determining gap in quality of services can facilitate backgrounds for preparing programs for improvement of educational quality of services This study was performed to determine the gap between college students expectations and provided educational services in Zanjan University of Medical Sciences 2007 Methods : In this descriptive study 362 students in medical sciences participated Data was collected using a questionnaire based on SERVQUAL By filling in the questionnaires students defined realities and their expectations in five aspects of quality of services including physical trust reliability responsiveness and sympathy The gap in services was calculated by subtracting students scores in realities from their expectations Results: Results showed that there were gaps in all five aspects of quality of services The highest gap mean was in sympathy aspect (167) and then in aspects of responsiveness (162) reliability (154) and physical aspect (152) The least gap mean was in trust aspect (146) There was a significant difference between realities and expectations in all aspects (P=00001) Students of higher levels mentioned higher gaps in a significant way (P
- Kebriaei A, Roudbari M. [The quality gap in educational services at Zahedan University of Medical Sciences: based on student’ perceptions and expectations]. IJME 2005; 5(1): 53-61. (Persian)
- Karydis A, Komboil-Kodovazeniti M, Hatzigeorgiou D, Panis V. Expectations and perceptions of Greek patients regarding the quality of dental care. Int J Qual Health Care 2001; 13(5): 409-16.
- Lim PC, Tang NK. A study of patient’s expectations and satisfaction in Singapore hospitals. Int J Health Care Qual Assur Inc Leader Health Serv 2000; 13(6-7): 290-9.
- Berry L, Zeithaml VA, Parasuraman A. SERVQUAL: a multi-item scale for measuring customer perceptions of service. J Retal 1988; 64(1):12-20.
- Parasuraman A, Zeithaml V, Berry LA. Conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research. J Mark 1985; 49: 41-50.
- Alvani SM, Riahi B. [Measuring service quality in the public sector]. Tehran: Iran Technology Education Center; 2000:7-15. (Persian)
- Riahi B. [Total quality management in public sector]. Tehran: Iran Technology Education Center; 2000:12. (Persian)
- Parasuraman A, Zeithaml V, Berry LL. SERVQUAL:a multiple item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality .Journal of Retailing 1988; 64(1): 12-40
- Zifko B, Robert K. Managing perceptions of hospital quality: negative emotional evaluations can undermine even the best clinical quality. Mark Health Serv 1997; 17(1):28-35.
- Babakus E, Mangold W. Adapting the SERVQUAL scale to hospital services: an empirical investigation. Health Serv Re 1992; 26(6):797.
- Kebriaei A, Roudbari M. [Assessing quality of educational services at Zahedan University of Medical Sciences]. Tabib Shargh 2005; 7(2):139-46. (Persian)
- Aghamolaei T, Zare S, Abedini S. [The quality gap of educational services from the point of view of students in Hormozgan University of Medical Sciences]. SDMEJ 2006; 3(2): 78-85.(Persian)
- Sabahi Bidgoliy M, kebriaie A. [The quality gap of educational services Kashan University of Medical Sciences: based on student perceptions and expectations] .8Th NCME 2007; 139. (Persian)
- Richard E, Adams JN. Assessing collage student perceptions of instructor customer service to students questionnaire: Assessment in higher education. J Assess Evalu High Educ 2006; 31(5): 535-49.
- Peter S, Michael H, Debra H. Why do they leave, why do they stay? Perception of service quality at a new university. ANZMAC 2000: 1197 -200.
- Shahin A.SERVQUAL and model of service quality gaps. Available form: URL: http://www.qmconf.com /Docs/oo77.pdf.
- Lameaei A. [Quality management]. Tehran: Ministry of Health and Medical Education, CQMI; 1999: 57. (Persian)
- Ruby CA. Assessing student satisfaction with selected student services using SERVQUAL, a market driven model of service quality. NASPA J 1998; 35(4): 331-41.