Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Educational Management, Senior Expert of Educational and Research Affairs, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Ph.D. in Educational Sciences, Professor of Educational Sciences Dept., School of Educational Sciences and Psychology, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: To ensure students research experience acquisition is o ne of the most important goals of conducting a thesis In such a process evaluating students satisfaction is one of the most significant challenges Hence this research was aimed to study students satisfaction of thesis conducting process and its related factors in Tabriz University of Medical Sciences Methods: In this survey 100 medical dentistry and pharmacy students who were becoming graduates and were about to defend their thesis participated Samples were selected using stratified sampling Data was collected using a questionnaire which its reliability and validity were already confirmed Results: According to the results mean (±SD) of supervision on thesis scientific skill development research bases skill development of research and thesis assessing process were 331(±095) 342(±071) 226(±080) 337(±070) and 347(±092) respectively The mean score of research bases was significantly less than others (P= 00001) The mean score of female students satisfaction of research bases and developing research skill was significantly higher than male students (P= 0026 and 004 respectively) Conclusion: The results of this study revealed that the lowest students satisfaction belonged to “scientific seminar planning” “financial support of scientific activities” and “scientific and research atmosphere” all belonged to research bases As research infra structure and atmosphere are important factors in research activities they should be among priorities of higher education planning
- Eftekharzadeh A. National health research system from the viewpoint of international organization. Tehran: Publication Center of Medical Sciences Research; 2003: 22. [In Persian]
- Aminipour MR, Ghasemi MH. Evaluation of research proposals and medical student’s theses. Journal of Shaheed Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences and Health Services 2000; 8 (2): 86-90. [In Persian]
- Mohammadi R, Fathabadi J, Yadegarzadeh GR, Mirzamohammadi MH, Parand K. Quality evaluation in higher education: Concepts, principles, approaches, criteria. 1st ed. Tehran: Publication Center of ational Organization for Educational Testing; 2006: 110. [In Persian]
- Organi H, Mahdavi R, Farajallahi AR, Mahjale Nayebi AR, Pourabbas R, Mohammad Alizad S, et al. Writing a thesis in Tabriz University of Medical Sciences. Tabriz: University of Medical Sciences, Office of Vice Chancellor for Research; 2004: 3. [In Persian]
- Mirsamadi M, Chehrei A, Bagherzadeh AH. An investigation of methodological format preparation of these by medical students of Iran University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, 1999. Journal of Iran University of Medical Sciences 2003; 9 (32(Special Issue)): 741-50. [In Persian]
- Bazargan A. Quality and it’s evaluation in higher education: A look at national and international experiences. Rahyaft Quarterly 1997; 15: 60-71. [In Persian]
- Marsh HW, Rowe KJ, Martin A. PhD students’ evaluations of research supervision: Issues, complexities, and challenges in a nationwide Australian experiment in benchmarking Universities. J High Educ 2002; 73 (3): 313-48.
- Pender JP. Policy, Planning Academic Support, PREQ Report: 1999-2002. Postgraduate Research Experience Questionnaire. Graduate Careers Council of Australia. 2003. Available from: URL:http://www.ecu.edu.au/GPPS/qatl/assets/pdf/PREQRep 2002.pdf.
- Peddler PJ. Learning innovation and future technologies quality assurance unit. Postgraduate research experience questionnaire PREQ 2000 summary. Graduate Careers Council of Australia. 2003. Available from:URL: http://www.ecu.edu.au/GPPS/qatl/assets/pdf/PREQRep2000.pdf.
- Barnacle R. Postgraduate Research Experience Questionnaire: PREQ 2003. Summary of results for Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology. 2003. Available from: URL:http://mams.rmit.edu.au/kfj8j9ypwtynz.pdf.
- Ginns P. Quality assurance and improvement of the research higher degree experience at the University of Sydney. Paper presented at the Australian Universities Quality Forum, Adelaide, 2004. Available from: URL:http://auqa.edu.au/auqf/2004/proceedings/AUQF2004_Proceedings.pdf.
- Postgraduate Research Experience Questionnaire 2005. University of Sydney. Available from: URL: http://www.itl.usyd.edu.au/PREQ/reports.cfm.
- Jowett CL. Senates Postgraduate Studies Committee. Postgraduate Questionnaire for Research Students 2004/05.University of Edinburgh. Available from: URL:http://www.aaps.ed.ac.uk/committees/spgsc/postgraduate_questionnaire.htm
- Chris P, Andria H, Malgorzata K, Lee H.Postgraduate Research Experience Survey –Final Report 2007. The Higher Education Academy. United Kingdom. Available from:URL: http://hca.ltsn.ac.uk/assets/York/
- Rose R, Nick S-R. PREQ Report 2007.TLD Teaching Evaluation Group, James Cook University. Available from: URL: http://www.jcu.edu.au/teaching/idc/groups/public/documents/statistics/jcuprd_025473.pdf
- Bazargan A. Educational Evaluation: (Concepts, Models and Operational Process). 4th ed. Tehran: SAMT Pub; 2005: 55-8. [In Persian]