Document Type : Original Article
Senior Expert of Medical Education Development Center, Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Tehran, Iran
Specialist in Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Professor of Infectious Diseases Dept., UromiehUniversity of Medical Sciences, Uromieh, Iran
Specialist in Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Associate Professor of Developing Education Dept., Medical Education Development Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. of Educational Management, Assistant Professor of Management Dept., School of Human Sciences, Tehran Payamnour University, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective : Total Quality Management (TQM) is a new approach to management which must be implemented gradually during some stages The first step is to create readiness for change conducting quality management is not possible before acquiring enough readiness This study was conducted to evaluate the readiness of Iran Universities of Medical Sciences for conducting Total Quality Management (TQM) according to educational managers point of view Methods : In this descriptive study the participants were all educational managers of 34 Universities of Medical Sciences including 314 vice chancellors for educational affairs heads of Medical Education Development Centers deans and provice chancellors for education Data was collected using a researchermade questionnaire containing 27 questions about 11 signs of readiness Results : The results of this study revealed that considering readiness for conducting Total Quality Management 9% of the universities were moderate (50 to 59% of the score) 79% were approximately good (60 to 69% of the score) and 12% were good (70 to 73% of the score ) The mean score for universities readiness was 645% Readiness for applying TQM philosophy in behavior had the highest score while readiness for allocating resources had the lowest score (78% and 4786% respectively) Conclusion : The results imply that the universities have had an improving trend and an appropriate atmosphere is ready for conducting Total Quality Management
- Tabibi SJ & et all .Total Quality Management in health care system.1st ed. Tehran: Jahan Rayane Publication; 2001: 3. [In Persian]
- Lameei A. Essential of Quality Management. National Committee of Quality Improvement in Ministry of Health and Medical Education, 1999: 11-2. [In Persian]
- Biech E. TQM for Training. New York: McGraw-Hill; 1994.
- Lameei A. Total Quality management principles, Application and lessons from an experionce . Tehran: Teb Novin Publication; 2003: 6. [In Persian]
- Padhi N. The eight elements of TQM.2005. Available from: URL: http://www.isixsigma. com/library/content/c021230a.asp.
- Sallis E. Total Quality Management in education. London : Kogan Page ; 2002: 107.
- Creech B. The five pillars of TQM: How to make Total Quality Management works for you, plume. New York: Truman Talley Books; 1995: 243.
- Stamatis DH. Total Quality Management in Health Care, Implementation strategies for optimum results. Chicago: Irwin Professional Pub; 1996: 212.
- Drennan L. Total Quality Management in the Scottish Universities, 1999. Available From:URL: http://www.llanes.panam.edu/journal/library/Vol1No4/drennan.html.
- Lameei A. Assessment of organization readiness for TQM implementation. Iranian Journal of Public Health 2005; 34 (2): 58-63. [In Persian]
- Lameei A. Total Quality Management in Higher Education. Uromia: Medical Education University, Shahed and Eisargran Cultural Institution; 2001: 13. [In Persian]
- Khazaei A. Study the Knowledge attitude and performance of personnel of Kordestan Medical Education University about Total Quality Management. Abstract book of first provincial congress in Quality Management. Kordestan Medical Education University 2004:25. [In Persian]
- Kanji GK, Malek A, Tambi BA. Total Quality Management in UK Higher Edueation Institutions. Total Quality Management 1999; 10 (1): 129-53. [In Persian]
- Lameei A. Total Quality Management in governmental organizations. National Commitee of Quality Improvement in Ministry of Health and Medical Education 2001: 16. [In Persian].
- Malek A, Kanji GK. TQM in Malaysian Higher Education Institutions 2000. Available From: URL: http\www.blweb.IT/esoe/tqmhe2/25.PDF. [In Persian]