Document Type : Review
Ph.D. in Educational Research, Professor of Management and Educational Planning Dept., School of Psychology and Education, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Background: Quality of higher education has been drawing more attention over the past two decades Hence concerted efforts have been increasingly made to assess and improve higher education quality worldwide Some of these attempts have led to establishing local national and international organizations for assessment and accreditation Based on the above this study is discussing the answer to the question concerning “To what extent attempts towards quality assessment in Iran have been directed to establish a national agency for assessment and accreditation?” To address this question first ground breaking experiences experience of Iran in this regard are described Then international experiences and challenges of building a national quality assessment and accreditation in higher education system in general and in medical education in particular are reviewed Finally perspectives of establishing Iranian Universities Quality Network are analyzed Conclusion : Institution building in assessment and accreditation would help strengthening of ownership of quality assurance in faculty members as a result continuous quality assessment and improvement of higher education would become an integral part of higher education system
- Hernes G, Martin M. Accreditation and the global higher education market. Paris: International Institute for Educational Planning; 2008.
- UNESCO. World conference on higher Education: The new dynamics of higher education and research for societal change and development. Paris: UNESCO; 2009.
- Global Universities Network for Innovations (GUNI). Higher education at a time of transition (new dynamics for social responsibility). New York: Palgrave Macmillan; 2009.
- Bazargan A. Introduction to assessing quality in higher medical education in Iran: Challenges and perspectives. Quality in Higher Education 1999; 5 (1): 61-7. [In Persian]
- Bazargan A. Self-Evaluation for University quality improvement: A glance at a decade of experience in Iran. 2nd conference of internal evaluation for university quality improvement: The case of Tehran University. Faculty of Psychology and Education, University of Tehran. Tehran: State Organization for Educational Evaluation; 2006. [In Persian]
- Bazargan A, Fatehabadi J, Ainollahi B. An appropriate internal evaluation approach to continuous quality improvement in medical sciences Universities. Journal of Psychology and Education 2001; 5 (2): 1-26. [In Persian]
- Vroeijentijn AI. Towards a quality model for higher education. Journal of Philippine Higher Education Quality Assurance 2003; 1 (1): 78-95.
- Bazargan A. Problems of organizing and reporting internal and external evaluation in developing countries: The case of Iran. Quality in Higher Education 2007; 13 (3): 207-14. [In Persian]
- Madaus GF, Stufflebeam D, Scriven MS. Program evaluation: A historical overview. In. Stark JS, Thomas A. Assessment and program evaluation. Boston MA: Pearson Custom Publishing; 1994: 23-8.
- International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE). Quality assurance agencies. Dublin: Higher Education and Training Awards Council;2003.
- Brennan J, Shah T. Quality assessment and institutional change: Experiences of 14 countries. High Educ 2000; 40 (3): 331-49.
- Oman accreditation council enhancement of quality assurance and institutional planningUNDP project. Available From: URL http://english.anqahe.org/cms.php?id=publicati on_listing&type=8.
- General Medical Council (GMC). Outcome of consultation on review of tomorrow’s doctors. UK Medical Schools-Quality Assurance Results, 2009. Available From: URL:http://www.gmc-uk.org/about/council/papers.
- Australian Medical Council. Guidelines’ for the assessment and accreditation of medical schools. 2nd ed. Canberra: Australian Medical Council; 1998.
- Association of American Medical Colleges and the American Medical Association (AAMC & AMA). Functions and structure of a medical school. Standards for accreditation of medical education programs leading to MD degree. Washington, DC: Laison Committee on Medical education; 1997.
- World Health Organization. WHO guidelines for quality assurance of basic medical education in western pacific region. Manila, Philippines: WHO regional Office for the Western Pacific; 2004.
- Westbye H. The bologna declaration and medical education: A policy statement from the medical students of Europe. Med Teach 2005; 27 (1): 83-5.
- Bazargan A. Transnational medical education through e-Learning: Challenges and prospects. 2nd Conference of e-Learning in Medical Sciences. Tehran: Center for Medical Education Studies and Development, TUMS; 2009: 33-4. [In Persian]
- Gynnilld V. Quality assurance reconsidered: A case study. Qual High Educ 2007; 13 (3): 263-73.
- Kells HR. Self-Stuy processes: A guide to selfevaluation in higher education. 4th ed. Phoenix: American Council on Education and Oryx Press; 1995.
- Stella A, Woodhouse D. Ranking higher education. (AUQA Occasional Publication No.6). Melbourne: Autralian Universities Quality Agency; 2006.
- Bazargan A. From internal evaluation to quality assurance in higher medical education: The case of medical education in Iran. Journal of Medical Education Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences & Health Services 2001; 1 (1): 23-7. [In Persian]
- Mousavi S, Bazargan A, Malek F, Malek M, Babaei M, Ghahremanfard F, et al. Internal evaluation for quality improvement in medical education: The case of Semnan University of medical sciences. Research Journal of SUMS 1999; 1 (2): 11-8. [In Persian]
- Ministry of Science, Research and Technology (MSRT). Guidelines for internal evaluation. Tehran: MSRT; 2003. [In Persian]
- Bazargan A. Enhancing institutional capacity for evaluation and quality assurance in higher education systems: international experiences and national requirements for organizational development. Council and Research 2004; 41:141-58.[In Persian]
- Bazargan A, Eshaghi F. Analysis of goalsetting process in internal quality assessment of University departments: A case study. Journal of Studies in Education and Psychology (Ferdowsi University of Mashad) 2008; 9 (1): 57-72. [In Persian]
- Internal Evaluation Committee (IEC). Final report of internal evaluation of educational management and planning Department University of Tehran. Tehran: Faculty of Psychology and Education (UT), State Organization for Educational Evaluation; 2006. [In Persian]
- Irish Universities Quality Board (IUQB). Good Practice in Strategic Planning for Academic Units in Irish Universities (National Guideline No.4), 2006. Available From: URL: http:// www.iuqb.ie/info/iuqb-good-practice-guides. aspx?article=c2fd92a2-b5f3-40ad-a4bd6dcdc76cadf9.
- Irish Higher Education Quality Network (IHEQN), 2009. Available From: URL: http://www.iheqn.ie/member_organisations/default.asp?NCID=133.
- Report on the Second Meeting of Central Council of Internal Evaluation. Teharan: Ministry of Science, Research and Technology (MSRT); 2005.
- Spanish Network of University Quality Assurance Agencies (REACU). Charter of the Spanish Network of University Quality Assurance Agencies (REACU). 2006. Available From: URL: http://www.acsucyl.es: 8080/acsucyl/export/system/modules/org.open cms.module.acucyl/elements/galleries/galeria_ descargas/A05_DOC_CONSTITUTIVO_REACU.pdf.
- Bienzle H, Jutte W, Katrina K, Meyer N, Tilkin G. The art of networking: European networks in education. Wein: die Berater;2007.
- Bazargan A. A proposal for establishing "Iran Universities Quality Network." Computer Report, Journal of Informatics Society of Iran 2008; 180: 24-7. Available From: URL: http:// www.isi. org.ir/ Magezin/ 180/24.asp. [In Persian]
- Bazargan A. Institutional building for higher education quality assessment in Iran: From ideals to realities. 3rd Conference of Internal Evaluation for University Improvement. University College of Fine Arts, University of Tehran (UT). Tehran: UT, Center for University Quality Assessment; 2007: 6-16. [In Persian]
- Institute for Research and Planning in Higher Education (IRPHE). Establishing the UNESCO chair in management, planning and quality assurance in higher education, IRPHE. SDME 2009; 6(1): 89-90. [In Persian]