Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Nursing, Instructor of Psychiatric Nursing Dept., Razi School of Nursing and Midwifery, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Epidemiology, Assistant Professor of Statistics and Epidemiology Dept., School of Public Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective : To assess the characteristics of a good teacher one must inquire the teachers opinion in addition to the students Hence this study was aimed to determine the characteristics of effective teachers and pertinent effective educational factors according to the nursing teachers and students point of view in schools of nursing in Kerman University of Medical Sciences Methods : In t his descriptivecomparative study 358 students and 89 teachers from Kerman Bam Zarand and Jiroft schools of nursing participated Data was collected using a researchermade questionnaire which covered five domains Results : A ccording to the students point of view interpersonal communication teaching skill personal characteristics evaluation skill and educational rules were priorities in order of importance whereas teachers gave priority to teaching skill educational rules evaluation skill personal characteristics and interpersonal communication The importance of interpersonal communication and personal characteristics according to the students opinion was significantly higher than what teachers believed (P=00001 and P=004 respectively) However the importance of teaching skill and educational rules was significantly higher in teachers opinion when compared to the students (P=00001 in both cases) Lack of enough time to study was the most important effective factor in teachers efficacy regarding the opinion of both teachers and students Conclusion : Despite the big difference between the teachers and the students point of view it is suggested to consider improvement of communication skills together with modern teaching methods in teachers empowerment programs Educational managers should also direct their programs to gain a better background for studying learning and efficacy with a decrease in working hours
- Kebriae A, Rodbary M, Rakhshani M, Mir Lotfi PR. Evaluation of students about quality educational services to them in Zahedan University of medical sciences. Tabib Shargh 2005; 2 (7): 139-46. [In Persian]
- Sarmad G. Operational attitude to teaching style and teacher ship. Tehran: Avaie Nour; 2003. [In Persian]
- Rahimi A, Ahmady F. The obstacles and improving strategies of clinical education from the viewpoints of clinical instructors in Tehran’s Nursing Schools. IJME 2005; 5(2): 73-9. [In Persian]
- Mazlomy S, Ehramposh MH, Kalantar M, Karimi H, Harazi MA. Opinion’s students about characteristics of good teachers in Yazd University of Medical Sciences. Yazd Medical Science J 1998; 8 (2):104-8. [In Persian]
- Lee WS, Cholowski K, Williams AK. Nursing students’ and clinical educators’ perceptions of characteristics of effective clinical educators in an Australian University school of nursing. J Adv Nurs 2002; 39 (5): 412-20.
- Tamara L, Buchel TL, Edwards FD. Characteristics of effective clinical teachers. Fam Med 2005; 37 (1): 30-5.
- Iranfar SH, Azizi F, Valai N. Status communication skills of teachers and it roles in evaluation students of them. Kermanshah medical science J 2003; 4 (2): 83-8. [In Persian]
- Gillespie M. Student-teacher connection: A place of possibility. 22 (4): 96-107. J Adv Nurs 2005; 52 (2): 211-19.
- Shakornia A, Motlagh ME, Malaiery AR. Students’ opinion on factors affecting faculty evaluation in Jondishapoor Medical University. IJME 2005; 5 (2): 101-9. [In Persian]
- Sharifi M, Jurabchi Z, Alipour Haydari M. Teachers effectiveness on student assessment of teachers and the course. Qazvin University of Medical Sciences J 2002; 6 (2): 81-7. [In Persian]
- Zareeian Jahromy A, Ahmadi F. Learning needs assessment in bachelor of nursing: A qualitative research. IJME 2005; 5 (2): 81-91.
- Wills ME. Link Teacher behaviors: Student nurses’ perceptions. Nurs Educ Today1997; 17 (3): 232-46.
- Zani AV, Noqueira MS. Critical incidents in the teaching-learning process of a nursing course through the perception of students and faculty. Revolation-Am Enfermagem 2006; 14(5): 742-48.
- Ursano AM, Kartheiser PH, Ursano RJ. The teacher alliance: A perspective on the good teacher and effective learning. Psychiatry 2007; 70 (3): 189-94.
- Pourfarzy F, Naftchy P, Hajiaghakhany S. Opinions teachers about characteristics of good teachers in Ardebil University of Medical Sciences. Abstract of 10th Congress on Medial Education, Shiraz University of Medical sciences. Sabz J of MSE 2009; 6: 170. [In Persian]
- Moghadesian N, Malaky N, Maghboly L. Opinions teachers about important criteria for role modeling teacher. Abstract of 10th Congress on Medial Education. 10th Congress on Medial Education. Sabz J of MSE 2009; 6:163. [In Persian]
- Safikhani F, Dianat M, Saiah M. communication skills of teachers in Ahvaz University of medical sciences. 10th Congress on Medial Education. 10th Congress on Medial Education. Sabz J of MSE 2009; 6: 34. [In Persian]
- Seif AA. The methods management and evaluation in education. Tehran: Dooran; 2004. [In Persian]
- Hossini M, Sarchami R. Attitude of students of Qazvin Medical University towards priorities in teachers’ assessment. Qazvin University of Medical Science J 2002; 6 (2): 33-7. [In Persian]
- Roshanpour F, Olfatizadeh M, Galilian N. Comparison opinions teachers and students in Kermanshah University of medical sciences about priorities of evaluation teachers in theory teaching. Abstract of 10th Congress on Medial Education.Sabz J of MSE 2009; 6: 233. [In Persian]
- Zareeian P, Farahnegad Z. Opinion nursing students in Jahrom University of Medical Sciences about characteristics efficiency teachers. 10th Congress on Medial Education. Sabz J of MSE 2009; 6: 236. [In Persian]
- Hosnian M. Opinions teachers Hamedan University of medical sciences about effective motivation factors on their educate and search actions. Yazd University of Medical Sciences J 1998; 8 (2): 83-8. [In Persian]
- Sabzmakan L, Bahramkhani L, Sarreshtehdary M. Opinions teachers Qazvin University of Medical Sciences about effective motivation factors on their educate action. 10th Congress on Medial Education. Sabz J of MSE 2009; 6:182. [In Persian]