Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. in nursing Education, Assistant Professor of Community Health Dept., Medical Education Development Center, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Golestan, Iran
Ph.D. in Nursing Education, Assitant Professor of Pediatric Nursing Dept., School of Nursing, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Golestan, Iran
Background & Objective: Evaluation of academic staff is conducted in different ways One of these methods which are commonly applied nowadays is asking students (the only group that experience the direct effect of teaching during the course) about their opinions Hence this study was conducted to present the students viewpoints about the evaluation of academic staffs performance using evaluation forms Methods: In this qualitative using phenomenology 40 students of nursing midwifery medicine and allied health sciences from different semesters were participated in individual semistructured interviews and group discussions in order to understand their viewpoints and experiences about evaluation of academic staff in theoretical courses The interviews were taperecorded and transcribed verbatim The data was analyzed using the content analysis method Results: Our findings suggest that although the students are in agreement with evaluating the academic staff they are reluctant to fill in the forms and stated that the current situation is not satisfactory Change relativity a student as a judge noneffective time open doors effective question and noneffective question represent students viewpoints and experiences about evaluating academic staff in theoretical courses using evaluation forms The participants emphasized the evaluation should be used as a positive reinforcement for improving education quality Conclusion: Academic staff is the main elements in students learning and could act inhibitors and facilitators By teaching evaluation one can make changes or corrections in further programs Meanwhile creative interventions are essential to satisfy students
- Cahn S. Faculty members should be evaluated by their peers, not by their students. Chron High Educ 1987; October 14, B2.
- Khaldi N, Sheikhani A. Comparison of teacher evaluation by students, peer and teacher in Shahed Medical School. Research in Medical Education 1998; 3 (1): 49-51. [In Persian]
- Metcalfe DH, Matharu M. Students’ perception of good and bad teaching: Report of a critical incident study. Med Edu 1995; 29(3): 193-7.
- Jouybari L, Sanagoo A. An effective instructor: A deep look at students and instructors’ experiences and perspectives. SDME 2009; 2 (6): 119-28. [In Persian]
- Johnson D. Joining together group theory & group skill. 2nd ed. Englewood: Prentice Han Co; 1999.
- Jouybari L, Sanagoo A. Chraghali F. Do the students’ feedbacks improve academic performance? The faculty members’ experiences. 10th Congress on Medical Education. Shiraz: University of Medical Sciences; 2009: 216-7. [In Persian]
- Nikbakht Nasr Abadi A, Parsa Yekta Z. Study on the evaluation of teaching in Tehran University of Medical Sciences. List of dissertations and essay papers and project abstracts of medical education 1979-2008: 139. [In Persian]
- Sanagoo A. Jouybari L. The pains and pleasure of evaluation: The experiences of Golestan University faculty members. International Congress of World Federation for Medical Education (WFME). Kish, 2008. [In Persian]
- Seif AA. Teacher’s evaluation of student: How can it be trusted? Psychological Research 1992; 1 (2): 12-24. [In Persian]
- Graneheim UH, Lundman B. Qualitative content analysis in nursing research: Concepts, procedures and measures to achieve trustworthiness. Nurs Educ Today 2004; 24(2): 105-12.
- Sharifi F, Masoumi S. A qualitative study of nursing student experiences of clinical practice. BMC Nurs 2005; 4: 6.
- Polite DF, Beck CT. Nursing research: Principles and Methods. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2003.
- Streubert HJ, Carpenter DR. Qualitative research in nursing: Advancing the humanistic imperative. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Company; 2003.
- Seldin P. The use and abuse of student ratings of professors, The Chronicle of Higher Education. 1993. Available from: http://trc.ucdavis.edu/TRC/ta/TAdevel/seldin.pdf.
- Emery C, Kramer K, Tian R. Return to academic standards: Challenge the student evaluation of teaching effectiveness. Available from: URL: http://www.bus.lsu.edu/academics/ accounting/ faculty / lcrumbley/stu_rat_of_%20instr.htm.
- Shakurnia A, Malayeri AR, Torabpour M, Elhampour H. Correlation between student evaluation of teaching and students’ grades. IJME 2006; 6 (1): 51-8. [In Persian]
- Karam Doost N. Study of relationship between student evaluation of educational sciences faculty of psychology and teaching faculty with a mean score of their masters course in school 1998-1999 years to 2000-2001. Journal of Psychology and Educational Sciences 2004; 34 (1): 57-76. [In Persian]
- Sharifi M, Jorabchi Z, Alipour Heidari M. Teacher effectiveness on student evaluation of teacher and course. Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences 2002; 22: 81-7. [In Persian]
- Rafiee M, Seifi M. Study of factors related to teacher evaluation by the students in Arak University of Medical Sciences. 1st International Conference on Reform and Change Management in Medical Education, 6th Congress on Medical Education. Tehran: Shahid Beheshty University of Medical Sciences; 2003: 66. [In Persian]
- Shkournia A, Latif SM, Torab Pour M. Alireza M. Is there any relationship between students’ academic performance and faculty evaluation by students? 1st International Conference on Reform and Change Management in Medical Education, 6th Congress on Medical Education. Tehran: Shahid Beheshty University of Medical Sciences; 2003: 62. [In Persian]
- Mason PM, Steagall JW, Fabritius MA. Students’ evaluations of faculty: A new procedure for using aggregate measure of performance. Econ Educ Rev 1995; 14 (4): 403-16
- Adams JV. Student evaluations: The ratings game. Inquiry 1997: 1 (2): 10-6.
- Sproule R. Student evaluation of teaching: A methodological critique of conventional practices. Education Policy Analysis Archives. Educ Policy Analysis Arch 2000; 8(50): 125-42.
- Adhami A, Nakhaee N, Fasehi Harandi T, Fattah Z. The validity and reliability of faculty evaluation forms by students in Kerman University of Medical Sciences during 2002-2003. 1st International Conference on Reform and Change Management in Medical Education, 6th Congress on Medical Education. Tehran: Shahid Beheshty University of Medical Sciences; 2003: 59. [In Persian]
- Tamizifar B. Is the faculty evaluation from student perspective related to student’s scores? 5th National Congress on Medical Education. Tehran: University of Medical Sciences; 2000: 21. [In Persian]
- Greenwald AG. Validity concerns and usefulness of students’ ratings instruction. Am Psychol 1997; 52 (11): 1182-6.
- Jirovec RL, Ramanathan CS, Alvarez AR. Course evaluations: What are social work students telling us about teaching effectiveness? J Soc Work Educ 1998; 34 (2): 229-37.
- Sanagoo A, Joibari L, Cheraghali F. The story of teacher evaluation is always rather talked. 10th Congress on Medical Education. Shiraz: University of Medical Sciences; 2009: 213-4. [In Persian]
- Joibari L, Sanagoo A, Sabzi Z. Teachers review the views and experiences of Golestan University of Medical Sciences to the teacher evaluation process. 10th Congress on Medical Education. Shiraz; University of Medical Scienc: 2009: 216. [In Persian]
- Beran TN, Rokosh JL. Instructors’ perspectives on the utility of student ratings of instruction. Instr Sci 2009; 37 (2): 171-84.