Document Type : Original Article
Pharmacist, AIDS Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences,Iran
Subspeciality in Gastroentrology, Associate Professor of Internal Medicine Dept., Shiraz University of Medical Sciences ,Iran
Subspeciality in pediatrics Nephrology, Professor of pediatrics Dept., Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Iran
General practitioner, CME Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences,Iran
M.Sc. in Biostatics, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences,Iran
Background & Objective : Medical education provides an opportunity to train individuals for patient care Evaluation of physicians capabilities as an important part of each educational system can reflect the efficacy of Medical education curriculum and also continuous educational programs The aim of this study was to evaluate the clinical skills of family physicians in Fars/Iran by using Observed Structured Clinical Evaluation (OSCE) Methods : In this cross sectional study from a total of 320 physicians employed in the family physician project of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences 79 physicians were selected by systematic sampling and participated in 19 designed stations Data were gathered by a structured questionnaire with acceptable validity and reliability Correlation tests and ttest with significant level of 005 were used for data analysis Results : From 79 participants 49 ones (62%) were male The total OSCE score was 190 and the acquired mean score by participants was 113±15 There was a significant relationship between OSCE score and participants gender (0004) while no significant relationship was observed between OSCE score and variables of graduation place and employment status Conclusion : Poor capability of family physicians in providing good health care services requires several interventions for improving their clinical skills
- Definition and Policies. American Board of Family Medicine. Available From: URL:https:// www. theabfm.org /about/ policy.aspx.
- Definition, what is family medicine? American Academy of Family Physicians. Available From: URL: https://www.theabfm.org/about/policy.aspx.
- General practitioners and family physicians need the following skills and ability. Available From: URL: https://www. mb.jobfutures.org/profiles.
- Official publication of the college of family physicians of Canada. Can Fam Physician 1995; 41: 1561-3. Available From: URL: http://www.cfp.ca/misc/cfp_about.dtl.
- Joulaei H, Hatam N, Askarian M. [Survey of cost-effectiveness of family physician program in Fars province]. MS Thesis. [In Persian]
- Ghareh Gozli K, Arami M, Kholghi Y, Farhoudi D, Farivar S. Survey of knowledge of general practitioner occupied in emergency medicines in Tehran about epilepsy. Iranian Epilepsy Association. Available From: URL: http://www.iranepi.org/ Published/ magazine/detail. aspx. [In Persian]
- Mohammad Jafari H, Vahid Shahi K, Mahmoodi M, Abbaskhanian A, Shahbaznegad L. Survey of effect of continuous medical education on knowledge of general practitioner. Koomesh, Journal of Semnan University of Medical Sciences 2008; 9 (4): 255-62. [In Persian]
- Jefferies A, Simmons B, Tabak D, McIlroy JH, Lee KS, Roukema H, et al. Using an Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) to assess multiple physician competencies in postgraduate training. Med Teach 2007; 29 (2-3): 83-91.
- Frohna JG, Gruppen LD, Fliegel JE, Mangrulkar RS. Development of an evaluation of medical student competence in evidence-based medicine using a computerbased OSCE station. Teach Learn Med 2006; 18 (3): 267-72.
- Fernandes PT, Noronha AL, Sander JW, Bell GS, Li LM. Training the trainers and disseminating information: A strategy to educate health professionals on epilepsy. Arch Neuropsychid 2007; 65: 14-22.
- AL–Alaboud LA, Kurashi NY. The effects of breast cancer early detection training program on the Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practice of female. PHHC Physician, Middle East J Fam Med 2006; 4 (1): 31-7.
- Haughwout JC, Eglash AR, Plane MB, Mundt MP, Fleming MF. Improving residents’ breastfeeding assessment skills: A problembased workshop. Fam Pract 2000; 17 (6): 541-6.
- Moattari M, Fallah Zadeh MH. [Senior medical students’ self evaluation of their capability in general competencies in Shiraz University of Medical Sciences]. IJME 2008; 7 (2): 371-7. [In Persian]
- Shaneyfelt T, Baum KD, Bell D, Feldstein D, Houston TK, Kaatz S, et al. Instruments for evaluating education in evidence-based practice: A systematic review. JAMA 2006; 296 (9): 1116-27.
- Fliegel JE, Frohna JG, Mangrulkar RS. A computer-based OSCE station to measure competence in evidence-based medicine skills in medical students. Acad Med 2002; 77 (11): 1157-8.
- Bradley P, Humphris G. Assessing the ability of medical students to apply evidence in practice: The potential of the OSCE. Med Educ 1999; 33 (11): 815-7.
- Tudiver F, Rose D, Banks B, Pfortmiller D. Reliability and validity testing of an evidencebased medicine OSCE station. Fam Med 2009; 41 (2): 89-91.