Document Type : short communication
Ph.D. in Biostatistics, Associate Professor of Biostatistics Dept., Microbial Resistance Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
B.Sc. in Public Health, Health Network Development Unit, Ilam Province Health Center, Iran
Background & Objective : The academic progress of university students and its related factors are among research priorities in education This study was performed to assess the academic progress of students in Zahedan University of Medical Sciences and the related factors Methods In this crosssectional study 380 students of Zahedan University of Medical Sciences in the first semester of 2009 were studied Data related to the students demographic features and academic standing (University and high school grade point averages number of failed courses and probation cases) were collected using a questionnaire Data analysis was done through SPSS 15 and using ttest Chi square Analysis of Variance and coefficient of correlation Results : There was a significant difference among students in regard to their university grade point average There were a significant relationship between the grade point average in university and high school (p < 005) The university grade point average showed significant relationship with variables of sex residency state and using university accommodation In whole 24% had experienced probation in at least one semester and 50% of those who were not interested in their field of study had failed in some course There was a significant relationship between the rate of interest in field of study and the rate of failed courses (p=005) Conclusion : Attention to some factors in student admission such as students residency and high school grade point average as well as improving dormitory conditions can be effective in academic progress of students
- Hazavehei SMM, Fathi Y, Shamshiri M. The study of the causes of students` academic probation in Hamadan University of Medical Sciences; 2001-2002. SDME 2006; 3(1):33-42.[In Persian]
- Keyvani J. The national report of higher education in Iran. Tehran: The Ministry of Science, research and technology; 2001.[In Persian]
- Mohammadi A, Mojtahedzadeh R. The data bank and the order of medical schools in Iran. First ed. Tehran: The Ministry of health and medical education; 2001.[In Persian]
- Kebriaei A, Roudbari M. [Quality gap in educational services at Zahedan University of Medical sciences: Students viewpoint about current and optimal condition]. IJME 2005; 5(1):53-61. [In Persian]
- Holmberg MB. Longitudinal studies of drug abuse in a fifteen- years- old population: 5 prognostic factors. Acta Psychiatr Scand 1985; 71(3):207-10.
- lazin R, Neumann L. Student characteristics as predictors of drop-out from medical school: admission to Beer-sheva over a decade. Med Educ 1991; 25(5): 390-404.
- Meilman PW, Pattis JA, Kraus -Zeilmann D. Suicide attempts and threats on one college campus: policy and practice. J Am Coll Health 1994; 42(4): 147-54.
- McPherson A, Paterson L. Undergraduate non-completion rates: A comment. Higher Education 1990; 19(3):377-383.
- Johnes J. Determinants of student wastage in higher education. Studies in higher education; The Journal of University of Lancaster 1990; 15(1):87-99.
- Edalatkhah H, Jahangiri S, Khanbabazadeh M, Amani F, Hashemilar M. [The educational situation of the graduates of Ardebil University of medical sciences]. IJME 2005; 5(2):193-195.[In Persian]
- Hosseininejad Z, Mousapour N. [The evaluation of some internal efficiency indices in medical education at Kerman University of Medical Sciences]. IJME 2004; 4(1): 3-13.
- Khadivezadeh T, seyf A A, Velaei N. [The students' method of Study and learning at Mashhad University of medical Sciences and its relationship with personal characteristics and educational background]. IJME 2004; 4(12):53-61.[In Persian]
- Moniri R, Ghalebtarash GH, Mousavi GHA. [The cause of educational fail at Para-medicine students of Kashan University of Medical Mcience]. IJME 2006; 6(1):135-140.[In Persian]
- Shams B, Farshidfard M, Hassan Zadeh A. [The comparison of demographic and personality characteristics in fail and succeed students of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences]. Journal of Research in Medical Sciences1997; 4(2):222-226.[In Persian]
- DehBozorgi GH, Moseli H. [The cause of educational failing in medical students at Shiraz University of medical Sciences in 1378]. The Journal of the Babul University of Jedical Jciences 2003; 5(2):74-78.[In Persian]
- Roudbari M, Shariati R. [The role of educational and demographic causes in medical students basic sciences overall examination at Zahedan University of Medical Sciences]. IJME 2002; 2(1):27-35.[In Persian]
- Roudbari M, Dadgar F. [The effective factors in the basic sciences examination results at Zahedan University of Medical Mciences and the prediction of their scores]. TABIB- ESHARGH 2002; 4(4):197-206.[In Persian]