Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. in Nursing, Graduated of Tarbiat Modarres University, Instructor of Nursing Dept., Nursing & Midwifery School, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran.
Ph.D. in Nursing, Associate Professor of Nursing Dept., Tarbiat Modarres University, Tehran, Iran.
Ph.D. in Nursing, Associate Professor of Nursing Dept., Nursing & Midwifery School, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran.
Background & Objective: Ethical competency in nursing means performing nursing cares based on bioethics This type of competency is an important factor in improving the quality of nursing cares Realizing the obstacles of acquiring ethical qualification by nursing students is one of the basic necessities towards nursing education development The development of ethical competency is one of the most important strategies which can help in improving nursing students capabilities and professional development This study aimed to identify the barriers to acquiring ethical qualification by nursing students through content analysis of their experiences Methods: A qualitative study was conducted using a content analysis approach Convenience sampling was employed to select 25 nursing students studying in nursing schools of Tehran public universities Tehran Iran Data were collected through semistructured interviews which were tape recorded and transcribed verbatim Data were analyzed using descriptive content analysis approach according to Graneheim and Lundman method Results: Eight themes emerged from data analyses including lack of motivation and interest of the students in their profession insufficient selfawareness the shortage of expert nursing instructors in ethics science inadequacy of curriculum inappropriate ethical teaching methods problems in evaluation of ethical characteristics poor interpersonal relationships and constraints in clinical setting Conclusion: It seems that in developing nursing students ethical competency both contexts and individuals have a role Therefore barriers of ethical competency should be sought in various aspects The present study provides special classification of obstacles that because of growing from a unique study context can be helpful in planning for the development of professional nursing ethics in education and clinical services Also the findings of this study can provide a base for further researches on this subject
- Memarian Salsali M, Vanaki Z, Ahmadi F, Hajizadeh E. Professional ethics as an R, important factor in clinical competency in nursing. Nurs Ethics 2007; 14(2): 203-14.
- Davis AJ, Tschudin V, De Raeve L. Essentials of teaching and learning in nursing ethics: Perspectives and methods. London: Churchill Livingstone; 2006.
- Fry ST. Teaching ethics in nursing curricula, Traditional and contemporary models. Nurs Clin North Am 1989; 24(2): 485-97.
- Dierckx de Casterle B, Grypdonck M, Cannaerts N, Steeman E. Empirical ethics in action: Lessons from two empirical studies in nursing ethics. Med Health Care Philos 2004; 7(1): 31-9.
- Fitzgerald L, Van Hooft S. A socratic dialogue on the question 'what is love in nursing? Nurs Ethics 2000; 7(6): 481-91.
- Bjork IT. What constitutes a nursing practical skill? West J Nurs Res 1999; 21(1): 51-63; discussion 64-70.
- Dierckx de Casterle B, Grypdonck M, Vuylsteke-Wauters M, Janssen PJ. Nursing students' responses to ethical dilemmas in nursing practice. Nurs Ethics 1997; 4(1): 12-28.
- Farrand P, McMullan M, Jowett R, Humphreys A. Implementing competency recommendations into pre-registration nursing curricula: Effects upon levels of confidence in clinical skills. Nurse Educ Today 2006; 26(2): 97-103.
- Gaul AL. Ethics content in baccalaureate degree curricula, Clarifying the issues. Nurs Clin North Am 1989; 24(2): 475-83.
- Peter E, Lunardi VL, Macfarlane A. Nursing resistance as ethical action: Literature review. J Adv Nurs 2004; 46(4): 403-16.
- Kelly B. The professional values of English nursing undergraduates. J Adv Nurs 1991; 16(7): 867-72.
- Cameron ME. Legal and ethical issues: Our best ethical and spiritual values. J Prof Nurs 2003; 19(3): 117-8.
- MacIntosh J. Reworking professional nursing identity. West J Nurs Res 2003 ; 25(6): 725-41; discussion 42-5.
- Woods M. Nursing ethics education: Are we really delivering the good(s)? Nurs Ethics 2005; 12(1): 5-18.
- Gorgulu R, Dinc L. Ethics in Turkish nursing education programs. Nurs Ethics 2007; 14(6): 741.
- Karagozoglu S. Nursing students’ level of autonomy: A study from Turkey. Nurs Educ Today 2009; 29(2): 176-87.
- Suikkala A, Leino-Kilpi H. Nursing student-patient relationship: Experiences of students and patients. Nurs Educ Today 2005; 25(5): 344-54.
- Ebrahimi H, Nikravesh M, Oskouie F, Ahmadi F. Stress: Major reaction of nurses to the context of ethical decision making. Tehran Universityof Medical Science Journal 2005; 14(54): 7-15.
- Azimi Vahedian A, Alhani F. Educational challenges in ethical decision making in nursing. Journal of Medical Ethics History of Medicine 2008; 1(4): 21-30.
- Doane GH. In the spirit of creativity: The learning and teaching of ethics in nursing. J Adv Nurs 2002; 39(6): 521-8.
- Baxter LA. Content analysis. In: Montgomery BM, Duck S. Studying interpersonal interaction. New York: Guilford Press; 1991.
- Sandelowski M. Sample size in qualitative research. Res Nurs Health 1995; 18(2): 179-83.
- Polit DF, Beck CT. Essentials of nursing research : Methods, appraisal, and utilization. 6th ed. Philadelphia; Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2006.
- Sandelowski M. Telling stories: Narrative approaches in qualitative research. Image J Nurs Sch 1991; 23(3): 161-6.
- Graneheim UH, Lundman B. Qualitative content analysis in nursing research: Concepts, procedures and measures to achieve trustworthiness. Nurs Educ Today 2004; 24(2): 105-12.
- Neville L. Moral difficulties in nursing practice: Reflections on the practice of a nurse educator. Nurs Educ Pract 2004; 4(2): 128-34.
- Smith KV, Godfrey NS. Being a good nurse and doing the right thing: A qualitative study. Nurs Ethics 2002; 9(3): 301-12.
- Parsons S, Barker PJ, Armstrong AE. The teaching of health care ethics to students of nursing in the UK: A pilot study. Nurs Ethics 2001; 8(1): 45-56.
- Weaver K. Ethical sensitivity: State of knowledge and needs for further research. Nurs Ethics 2007; 14(2): 141-55.
- Jack K, Smith A. Promoting self-awareness in nurses to improve nursing practice. Nurs Stand 2007; 21(32): 47-52; Quiz 4.
- Burnard P. Learning human skills : An experiential and reflective guide for nurses and health care professionals. 4th ed. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann; 2002.
- Burkemper JE, DuBois JM, Lavin MA, Meyer GA, McSweeney M. Ethics education in MSN programs: A study of national trends. Nurs Educ Perspect 2007; 28(1): 10-7.
- Dinc L, Gorgulu RS. Teaching ethics in nursing. Nurs Ethics 2002; 9(3): 259-68.
- Hamric AB. Reflections on being in the middle. Nurs Outlook 2001; 49(6): 254-7.
- Auvinen J, Suominen T, Leino-Kilpi H, Helkama K. The development of moral judgment during nursing education in Finland. Nurs Educ Today 2004; 24(7): 538-46.
- Woods M. Maintaining a nursing ethic: A grounded theory of the moral practice of experienced nurses. Palmerstone North: Massey University; 1997.
- Beckett A, Gilbertson S, Greenwood S. Doing the right thing: Nursing students, relational practice, and moral agency. J Nurs Educ 2007; 46(1): 28-32.
- Billett S. Towards a model of workplace learning: The learning curriculum. Stud Continu Educ 1996; 18(1): 43-58.
- Cameron ME, Schaffer M, Park HA. Nursing students’ experience of ethical problems and use of ethical decision-making models. Nurs Ethics 2001; 8(5): 432-47.
- Holland S. Teaching nursing ethics by cases: A personal perspective. Nurs Ethics 1999; 6(5): 434-6.
- Kyle G. Using anonymized reflection in teach ethics: A pilot study. Nurs Ethics 2008; 15(1): 6-16.
- Gorgulu RS, Dinc L. Ethics in Turkish nursing education programs. Nurs Ethics 2007; 14(6): 741-52.
- Krawczyk RM. Teaching ethics: Effect on moral development. Nurs Ethics 1997; 4(1): 57-65.
- Goldie J, Schwartz L, McConnachie A, Jolly B, Morrison J. Can students’ reasons for choosing set answers to ethical vignettes be reliably rated? Development and testing of a method. Med Teach 2004; 26(8): 713-8.
- Callahan JC. Ethical issues in professional life. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1988.
- Kuit JA, Reay G, Freeman R. Experiences of reflective teaching. Act Learn High Educ 2002; 2: 128-42.
- Edlund-Sjöberg M, Thorell-Ekstrand I. Ethical reflection on patient care situations-a study in a group of Swedish nurse students. International Nursing Perspectives 2001; 1(1): 15-2
- Numminen OH, Leino-Kilpi H. Nursing students’ ethical decision-making: A review of the literature. Nurs Educ Today 2007; 27(7): 796-807.
- Brodie DA, Inoue A. Motivational interviewing to promote physical activity for people with chronic heart failure. J Adv Nurs 2005; 50(5): 518-27.
- Levett-Jones T, Lathlean J, McMillan M, Higgins I. Belongingness: A montage of nursing students’ stories of their clinical placement experiences. Contemp Nurse 2007; 24(2): 162-74.
- Callister LC, Luthy KE, Thompson P, Memmott RJ. Ethical reasoning in baccalaureate nursing students. Nurs Ethics 2009; 16(4): 499-510.