Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. in Nursing, Assistant Professor of Nursing Dept., Nursing & Midwifery School, Bushehr University of Medical Sciences,Iran.
Ph.D. in Nursing, Associate Professor of Nursing Dept., Tarbiat Modarees University, Tehran, Iran
M.Sc. in Industrial Psychology, Psychology Dept., Azad University, Marvdasht, Iran
M.Sc. in Nursing, Intstructor of Nursing Dept. Nursing & Midiwifery School, Arsanjan Azad University, Arsanjan, Iran
Background & Objectives: Portfolios as new educational tools can play an important role in improving clinical competence of nurses However scientific evidences about the impact of portfolios on nurses clinical competence are limited and few studies have been done in Iran This study aimed to determine the impact of professional portfolio on nurses clinical competence in a hospital affiliated to Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Methods: In this quasiexperimental pretest intervention posttest study from 22 units of the selected hospital 4 general units were selected randomly Nurses of 2 units were studied as experimental group and participated in a 12month portfoliobased Professional development program Nurses of 2 other units were considered as control group and participated in the routine professional development programs of their units Data were collected by a valid and reliable scale measuring clinical competence of nurses Data were analyzed by using descriptive statistics independent and paired ttest Results : After intervention mean clinical competence in experimental group showed a significant increase from 7672 (± 645) to 8568 (± 643) (p
- Expert group meeting on hospital accreditation. World Health Organization Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean. Cairo, Egypt 23–26 September 2002. Available from http :// www .who .int/patientsafety/events/05/cairo/Hospital_Accreditation_Final.pdf.
- Latter S. Nursing health education and health promotion: Lessons learned, progress made and challenges ahead. Health Education Research. 1998;13(2):163-169.
- Hewison A. Wildman S. The theory-practice gap in nursing: a new dimension. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 1996;24(4):754-61.
- Grimshow J. Eccles M, Tetroe J. Implementing clinical practice guidelines: current evidence and future implications. Journal Continuing Education. Health Professions. 2004;24(S1): S31-S37.
- Liang L. The gap between evidence and practice. Health Affair. 2007;26(2):119-121.
- Timmermans S. Mauck A. The promises and pitfalls of evidence based medicine. Health Affair. 2005;24(1):18-28.
- Asch S. Kerr E. Keesey J. Who Is At Greatest Risk For Receiving Poor-Quality Health Care? The New England Journal of Medicine. 2006;354(11):1147-56.
- McGlynn E. Asch S. Adams J. The quality of health care delivered to adults in the United States. New England Journal of Medicine. 2003;348(26):2635-45.
- Grol R. Successes and failures in the implementation of evidence based guidelines for clinical practice. Medical Care. 2001;39(8):46-54.
- Schuster M. McGlynn E. Brook R. How good is the quality of health care in the United States? The Milbank Quarterly. 1998;76(4):517-63.
- Gallagher P. An evaluation of a standards based portfolio. (This article was originally published in an incomplete form in: Nurse Education Today (2001) 21(3): 197-200.
- Byrne M. Delarose T. King CA. Leske J. Sapnas KG. Schroeter K. Continued professional competence and portfolios. Journal of Trauma Nursing. 2007;14(1):24-31.
- Kolb DA. Experiential learning. London: Prentice Hall; 1984.
- Coffey A. The clinical learning portfolio: a practice development experience in gerontological nursing. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2005;14(S2):75-83.
- Coleman HLK. Morris D. Norton RA. Developing multicultural counselling competence through the use of portfolios. Journal of Multicultural Counsel Development. 2006;34(1):27-37
- Biggs JB. The teaching context: the assessment portfolio as a tool for learning. In: Biggs JB. Editor, Testing: To Educate or to Select? Education in Hong Kong at the Crossroads. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Educational Publishing Co; 1996.
- Saltman DC. Tavabie A. Kidd MR. The use of reflective and reasoned portfolios by doctors. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. 2010:1-4.
- Meretoja R. Isoaho H. Leino-kilpi H. Nurse competence scale: development and psychometric testing. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2004;47(2):124-133.
- Bahreini M. Moattari M. Akaberian S. Mirzaei K. Determining nurses' clinical competence in hospitals of Bushehr University of Medical Sciences by self-assessment method. Iranian South Medical Journal. 2008; 11(1):69-75.
- Tochel C. Haig A, Kesketh A. Cadzow A. Beggs K. Colthart I. et al. The effectiveness of portfolios for post-graduate assessment and education: BEME guide No 12. Medical Teacher. 2009;31(4):279-318.
- Rees C. Sheard C. Undergraduate medical students' views about a reflective portfolio assessment of their communication skills learning. Medical Education. 2004;38(2):125-128.
- Korthagen F. Linking Practice and Theory. Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 2001.
- Driessen E.W. Van Tartwijk J. Overeem K. Vermunt J. Van Der Vleuten C. Conditions for successful reflective use of portfolios in undergraduate medical education. Medical Education. 2005;39(12):1230-1235.
- Timmins F. Dunne PJ. An exploration of the current use and benefit of nursing student portfolios. Nursing Education Today. 2009;29(3):330-341.
- Jones E. A professional practice portfolio for quality learning. Higher Education Quarterly. 2010; 64(3): 292-312.
- McMullan M. Using portfolios for clinical practice learning and assessment: The preregistration nursing student’s perspective. Nursing Education Today. 2008;28(7):873-879.
- Schaffer MA. Nelson P, Litt E. Using portfolios to evaluate achievement of population-based public health nursing competencies in baccalaureate nursing students. Nursing Education. Perspective. 2005; 26(2) :104-12.
- Williams GA. Park JR. Traynor V. Narin S. O'Brien E. Chapple M. et al. Lecturers’ and students’ perceptions of portfolios in an english school of nursing. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2009;18(8):1113-1122.
- Hrisos S. Illing JC. Burford BC. Portfolio learning for foundation doctors: early feedback on its use in the clinical workplace. Medical Education. 2008;42(2):214-223.
- Corcoran J. Nicholson C. Learning portfoliosevidence of learning: an examination of students’ perspectives. Nursing in Critical Care. 2004;9(5):230-237.