Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. in Curriculum Development, Assistant Professor of Medical Education Dept., Medical Education Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
General Practitioner, M.Sc. student of medical education, Medical Education Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Ph.D. in Pharmacology, Associate Professor of `Medical Education Dept., Medical Education Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Background & Objective: In order to achieve an efficient teaching in all fields including Medicine effective teachers are needed and to evaluate the efficiency of teachers students comments are a remarkable indicator Since during the recent decades Emotional Intelligence has been mentioned as one of the characteristics of distinguished teachers this study aimed to investigate the emotional intelligence and its components among professors of basic sciences level of Medicine field selected as distinguished teachers by senior students in comparison to other professors in this level Methods: In this descriptive study all Medicine students of the selected university in the final semester of basic sciences phase (n=65) were asked to name their five top distinguished teachers Finally 8 teachers who had the highest votes were considered as the distinguished group To assess teachers emotional intelligence the standard questionnaire of BarOn is distributed among all teachers of basic sciences (53 cases) and their emotional intelligence in 15 different components was evaluated Data were analyzed through SPSS software and by using correlation and independent ttest Results: Mean total score of Emotional Intelligence of distinguished teachers (35213) was higher compared to that of the other teachers (33788) but the difference was not significant The scores of distinguished group in the subscales of happiness optimism selfconfidence and flexibility were significantly higher compared to the other teachers (P
- McCulloch G, Crook D. The Routledge International Encyclopedia of Education: International Encyclopedia of Education. Routledge, London; 2008.
- Dscriptive dictionary of education: Asrar-eDanesh; 1999. dscriptive dictionary of education.
- Davaj M. Teaching Strategy:Effective Teaching. Tehran: sargol; 2007.
- blumberg P. Developing Learner-Centered teaching: a practical guide for faculty. first ed: Jossey-Bass; 2008.
- Calloway-Graham D. The art of teaching and learning. The Social Science Journal(Colorado Then New York- Western Social Science Association). [doi: DOI: 10.1016/j.soscij.2004.08.001]. 2004;41(4):689-96.
- Stephens P, Tim C. Becoming an Effective Teacher: Nelson Thornes; 1994.
- Mitchell M, Hall J. Teaching spirituality to student midwives: A creative approach. Nurse Education in Practice. 2007;7(6):416-24.
- Leap N, Barclay L, Sheehan A. Results of the Australian Midwifery Action Project Education Survey. Paper 2: Barriers to effective midwifery education as identified by midwifery course coordinators. Australian Midwifery. 2003;16(3):6-11.
- Helsing D. Regarding uncertainty in teachers and teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education. 2007; 23(8):1317-33.
- Oladejo J. The Teacher Factor in the Effective Teaching and Learning of ESL in Developing English Speaking Countries: The Case of Nigeria. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development. 1991;12(3):195-204.
- Zahorik JA. Stability and flexibility in teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education.1990;6(1):69-80.
- Saka M, Surmeli H. Examination of relationship between preservice science teachers’ sense of efficacy and communication skills. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2010; 2(2): 4722-27.
- Tekin M, Güllü M. Analysis of empathic artifice level of teacher candidates who study in the school of physical education and sport. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2010; 2(2):1987-92.
- Brown JL, Jones SM. LaRusso MD. Aber JL. Improving Classroom Quality: Teacher Influences and Experimental Impacts of the 4Rs Program. Journal of Educational Psychology. 2010;102(1):153-67.
- Hargreaves A. The emotional geographies of teachers' relations with colleagues. International Journal of Educational Research. 2001;35(5):503-27.
- Soltanarabshahi S, Ghaderi A. Develope indicators of teaching effectiveness: the characteristics of effective teaching teachers and students view the University Science Center. Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences. 2001;7(22):279-87. [In Persian].
- Salehi S, Hasanzahraei R, Ghazavi Z, Amini P, Ziaei S, Shahneh M. The Characteristics of Effective Clinical Teachers as Perceived by Nursing Faculty and Students Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2004;4(1):37-44. [In Persian].
- Mortiboys A. Teaching with Emotional Intelligence. 1 ed: Routledge; 2005.
- Frey N. The Effective Teacher's Guide: 50 Ways to Engage Students and Promote Interactive Learning. Second Edition: Guilford Press. http://www.guilford.com; 2010.
- Berry B. Daughtrey A. Wieder A. Teacher Leadership: Leading the Way to Effective Teaching and Learning: Center for Teaching Quality.2010:12.http:// www.teachingquality. Org. 2010.
- Shapiro S. Revisiting the teachers' lounge: Reflections on emotional experience and teacher identity. Teaching and Teacher Education. 2010;26(3):616-21.
- Nilssen V. Encouraging the habit of seeing in student teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education. 2010;26(3):591-8.
- Moè A, Pazzaglia F, Ronconi L. When being able is not enough. The combined value of positive affect and self-efficacy for job satisfaction in teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education. 2010;26(5):1145-53.
- Erbay F, Dogru SSY. The effectiveness of creative drama education on the teaching of social communication skills in mainstreamed students. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2010;2(2):4475-9.
- Rosenshine B. A conception of teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education. [doi: DOI: 10.1016/j.tate.2009.08.004]. 2009;25(8):1169-71.
- Watson SF, Apostolou B, Hassell JM. Webber SA. Accounting education literature review (2003-2005).Journal of Accounting Education. 2007;25(1-2):1-58.
- Ergur DO. How can education professionals become emotionally intelligent? Procedia -Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2009;1(1):1023-8.
- Aghayar S, Sharifi daramadi P. [Emotional intelligence]. 1st ed. Tehran: Sepahan; 2009.[in persian].
- Ciarrochi J, Forgas JP, Mayer JD. Emotional intelligence in everyday life. 1 ed. 2001.
- Goleman D. emotional Intelligence; Why it can matter more than IQ. 1st ed. New York: Bantam Book; 1995.
- Rastegar M, Memarpour S. The relationship between emotional intelligence and selfefficacy among Iranian EFL teachers. System. 2009;37(4):700-7.
- O'Connor KE. "You choose to care": Teachers, emotions and professional identity. Teaching and Teacher Education. 2008;24(1):117-26.
- Birol C, Atamtürk H, Silman F, Atamtürk AN, Sensoy S. A comparative analysis of teachers' perceptions of emotional intelligence and performance management in the secondary schools of the TRNC. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2009;1(1):2600-605.
- Birol C, Atamtürk H, Silman F, Sensoy S. Analysis of the emotional intelligence level of teachers. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2009;1(1):2606-614.
- Hassan Zahraei R, Atash Sokhan G, Salehi S, Ehsanpour S, Hassanzadeh A. Comparing the Factors Related to the Effective Clinical Teaching from Faculty Members' and Students' Points of View. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2008;7(2):249-56.
- Samoe R. [Bar-On questionarry]. 1st ed. Tehran: Tajhizate azmayeshgahi va ravanshenasi va azmoonhaye ravanshenakhti(Ravantajhiz), 2005.[In Persian]
- Ciarrochi J, Chan AYC, Bajgar J. Measuring emotional intelligence in adolescents. Personality and Individual Differences. 2001; 31(7):1105-119.
- Muyia HM. Approaches to and Instruments for Measuring Emotional Intelligence: A Review of Selected Literature.Advances in Developing Human Resources. 2009 December 1, 2009; 11(6): 690-702.
- Motalebi F, Forughi A, Shahtalebi B. [The Relationship Between Principals' Emotional Intelligence and their Ability to take Teachers on Trust in Primary School]. JSR 2010; 2(22).2010;0(22):63-84. [In Persian].
- Polat S, Ulusoy-Oztan Y. Relationship Between Emotional Intelligence of Primary School 4th and 5th Grade Students and their Teachers 2009.
- Martin BN, Crossland B, Johnson JA. editors. Is There a Connection:Teacher Empowerment, Teachers' Sense of Responsibility, and Student Success;2001.
- Ngidi DP. Academic optimism: an individual teacher belief. Educational Studies. 2011; 9(1):1-12.
- McNulty CP, Davies M, Maddoux M. Living in the Global Village: Strategies for Teaching Mental Flexibility. Social Studies and the Young Learner. 2010;23(2):21-4.