Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. in Educational Mangement, Assistant Professor of Educational Management Dept., School of Educational Sciences and psychology, Islamic Azad University, Khorasgan Branch ,Esfahan, Iran.
Ph.D. in Curriculum Development, Associate Professor of Medical Education, Medical Education Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran.
Ph.D. in Pharmacology Associate Professor of Medical Education, Medical Education Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran.
Background & objective : Self directed learning is increasingly used in dentistry and medical programs in order to improve students lifelong learning skills Since there are a limited number of studies about self directed learning in Iran any research on students readiness for selfdirected learning seems necessary This study was aimed to explore Medical and Dentistry students perceptions of self directed learning and its relationship with students personal traits (age gender high school and university grade point averages and score of basic sciences program) Methods: In this descriptivecorrelation study 81 extern intern completed the standard self directed learning scale consisted of 40 items in 3 subscales Students scores in the applied scale and basic sciences program together with the average and mean of all past terms scores were considered as indices for academic achievement One way ANOVA Pearson correlation coefficient multiple regression were used for analyzing data Results: Selfdirected learning readiness showed a significant relationship with students grade point average but a negative relationship with basic sciences score (p
- Kord Noghabi R. [The relationship between field dependent & independent learning styles in the students and their parents’ educational method]. [Master Thesis]. Tehran: Allameh Tabatabaei University; 1999. [In Persian].
- Poorsafar A, Nemati M, Falah S. [An introduction to experimential learning theory: Views and applications]. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2004; 7: 19-26. [In Persian].
- Cheng SF, Kuo CL, Lin KC, Lee-Hsieh J. Development and preliminary testing of a selfrating instrument to measure self-directed learning ability of nursing students. International Journal Nursing Studies. 2010; 47(9): 1152-8.
- Roberson DN. self-directed learning--Past and present. Information Analyses; Reports Research: 2005. Available From: URL: http://www. eric. ed.gov/PDFS/ED490435.pdf.
- Williamson SN. Development of a self-rating scale of self-directed learning. Nursing Research. 2007; 14(2): 66-83.
- Murray L, Lawrence B. Practitioner-based enquiry: Principles for postgraduate research. London: Falmer Press; 2000.
- Shokar GS, Shokar NK, Romero CM, Bulik RJ. Self-directed learning: Looking at outcomes with medical students. Family Medical 2002; 34(3): 197-200.
- Cleary M, Freeman A. Sharrock L. The development, implementation, and evaluation of a clinical leadership program for mental health nurses. Issues Mental Health Nursing 2005; 26 (8): 827-42.
- Medical School Objectives Writing Group. Learning objectives for medical student education-guidelines for medical schools: Report I of the medical school objectives project. Academic Medicin 1999; 74(1): 13-8.
- Timmins F. Take time to facilitate self-directed learning. Nursing Education Practice 2008; 8(5): 302-5.
- Fisher MJ, King J. The self-directed learning readiness scale for nursing education revisited: A confirmatory factor analysis. Nursing Education Today. 2010; 30(1): 44-8.
- Guglielmino LM. Why self-directed learning? International Journal of Self-Directed Learning 2008; 5(1): 1-14.
- Gibbons M. The self-directed learning handbook: Challenging adolescent students to excel. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 2002.
- Harriman JK. The relationship between selfdirected learning readiness, completion and achievement in a community college telecourse program. [Unpublished doctoral dissertation]. Georgia, Atherns: The University of Georgia, Atherns; 1990.
- Anderson RB. Rationale and non-rational aspects of forgetting. In: Oaksford M, Chater N, eds. Rational models of cognition. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1998: 156-64.
- Long HB. Understanding self-direction in learning. In: HB Long (Eds.). Practice & theory self-directed learning. Schaumburg: Motorola University Press; 2000: 11-24.
- Candy PC. Self-direction for lifelong learning: A comprehensive guide to theory and practice. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers; 1991.
- Reio TJ. Age and Gender Differences in Selfdirected learning readiness: A developmental perspective. International Journal of Selfdirected Learning 2005; 2(1): 40-9.
- Loyens SM, Magda J, Rikers RM. Selfdirected learning in problem-based learning and its relationships with self-regulated learning. Education of Psychology Review 2008; 20(4):411-27.
- Maung M, Abas ZW, Abdullah A. Factor’s influencing development of self-directed learning in higher education environment. International Journal of Self-directed Learning 2007; 4(1): 27-38.
- Bolhuis S. Towards process-oriented teaching for self-directed lifelong learning: A multidimensional perspective. Learning and Instructtion 2003; 13(3): 327-47.
- Hendricson WD, Andrieu SC, Chadwick DG, Chmar JE, Cole JR, George MC, et al. Educational strategies associated with development of problem-solving, critical thinking, and self-directed learning. Journal of Dental Education 2006; 70(9): 925-36.
- Fisher M, King J, Tague G. Development of a self- directed learning readiness scale for nursing education. Nursing Education Today 2001; 21(7): 516-25.
- Nadi MA, Sajjadian I. [Standardization of selfdirected learning readiness scale on girl’s students of Isfahan High School]. Review Quar erly Journal of Educational Innovations 2006; 18(3): 111-34. [In Persian].
- Corbel JR. Online technologies self-efficacy, self-directed learning readiness, and locus of control of learners in a graduate-level Webbased distance education program. [Unpublished doctoral dissertation]. Houston: The University of Houston; 2003.
- Chou PN. A study on the development of competency-based and Web-based interactive streaming video material and analysis of selfdirected learning effects. [Unpublished master thesis]. Taiwan: The National Taipei University of Technology, Taipei; 2003.
- Bulik RJ, Romero CM. The elusive concept of self-directed learning. In: HB Long (Eds). Self-Directed Learning and the Information Age. Illinois: Motorola University Press; 2001.
- Gordan Shekan M, Yarmohammadian MH, Ajami S. [The effect of teaching metacognition package on self-directed learning in medical records students of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences]. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2010; 10(2): 131-40. [In Persian].
- Safavi M, Shooshtari SH, Mahmoodi M, Yarmohammadian M. [Self-directed learning readiness and learning styles among nursing students of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences]. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2010; 10(1): 27-36. [In Persian].