Document Type : Brief report
Ph.D. in Histology, Assistant Professor of Histology Dept., Anatomical Sciences Research Center, School of Medicine, Kashan University of Medical Sciences, Iran.
Ph.D. in Pathology, Associate Professor of Pathology Dept., Anatomical Sciences Research Center, School of Medicine, Kashan University of Medical Sciences, Iran.
Specialist in Cardiology, Assistant Professor of Cardiology Dept., School of Medicine, Kashan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Background & Objectives: With considering of significant role of Medical sciences in the health state of society special attention to Medical education is an importance matter In this line the contents of basic sciences courses in Medicine curriculum should guarantee the professional competence of future physicians The present study was designed to evaluate the viewpoints of Clinical Sciences professors in Kashan University of Medical Sciences about the role of basic sciences in professional competence of physicians Methods: This crosssectional study was carried out using a questionnaire with confirmed validity and reliability The questionnaire included items related to the effect of basic sciences education on 9item medical qualifications and acceptance in residency board exams and general opinion about basic sciences Professors were asked to score their views in a 3point ranking Data were analyzed through SPSSV13 software package and using Mann Whitney Kolmogorov Smirnov and Kruskal Wallis tests Results : Response rate was 957% Mean score for the effect of basic sciences education on professional qualifications was 1897(±351) from 27 The highest score 2125(±263) belonged to ENT Dept and the lowest 106(±207) belonged to the Psychiatry Dept There was a significant difference between mean scores given by specialists in different clinical fields (p=002) The best effect of basic sciences education was on social aspects of health cares and the poorest effect was in Doctor – patient communication Conclusion: According to the clinical professors viewpoints in Kashan University of Medical Sciences the efficiency of basic sciences education in professional performance of Medical doctors is moderate to above moderate
- Azizi F. Medical Education, Vission, and challenges. Tehran: Publication of Cultural and Student Affairs, Ministry of Health and Medical Education, 2003: 98. [In Persian]
- Ogur B, Hirsh D, Krupat E, Bor D. The Harvard Medical School-Cambridge integrated clerkship: an innovative model of clinical education. Academic 2007;82(4):397-404. Medicine.
- James B.M, Steven L.K. How we develop and sustain innovation in medical education technology: Keys to success. Medical Teacher. 2011;33(4):279-85.
- Grant VJ, Hawken SJ. What do they think of it now? Medical graduates’ views of earlier training in communication skills. Medical teacher. 2000; 22(3):260-4.
- Yu F, Xu L, Lu D, Luo W, Wang Q. The integrated clerkship: an innovative model for delivering clinical education at the Zhejiang University School of Medicine. Academic Medicine. 2009;84(7):886-94.
- Ogur B, Hirsh D. Learning through longitudinal patient care-narratives from the Harvard Medical School-Cambridge Integrated Clerkship. Academic 2009;84(7):844-50. Medicine.
- Hoveida R, Molavi H. Academic Quality improvement proccess from the viewpoints of faculty members of Universities in Isfahan province: A comparison based on Academic quality improvement program (AQIP). Iranian Journal of medical education. 2008;8(1):13241. [In Persian]
- Biabangard Z, Soltani Arabshahi K, Amini A, Shekaraby R, Yadavar Nikravesh M. Role of Basic Science Courses on Promoting the Medical Graduate’s Competencies in Medical Schools of Iran. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2005;5(1): 13-23. [In Persian]
- Khurshidi A, Hallaj nezhad F. Graduates of general practitioners' attitudes towards the importance of basic science courses at the University of Kashan in the years 2004. (Thesis) [In Persian]
- Alipour Heidari M, Hassanzadeh Gh.R, HajiSeiedJavadi Z. Attitude of dentistry students at clinical sections of Qazvin Medical University of towards the application of basic science courses. The Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences. 2002;2(22):38-42. [In Persian]
- Ghorbani R, Mir Mohammad Khani M, Haji AghaJani S. The opinions of physicians and interns of Semnan University of Medical Sciences about applications of basic sciences in clinical problems. Journal of Shaeed Sdoughi University of Medical Sciences Yazd. 2000;8(2):78-82. [In Persian]
- The office of medical education and curricular affairs school of medicine. Available from URL:http://www.medicine.iu.edu
- Ahmadinejad Z, Ziaee V, Morravedgi A. A survey on student`s satisfaction of clinical education and its related factor. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2002;2(0):15-6. [In Persian]
- Shariati M, Jafari Nave H.R, Bakhshi H. The role of Anatomy courses in the achivment of clinical skill in medical interns student of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2005;5(2): 189-92. [In Persian]
- Fallahi E, Kave MH. The evaluation of nutriant course from the viewpoints medical interns student of Lorestan University of Medical Sciences. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2006,6(1): 75-82. [In Persian]