Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Immunology, Instructor, Department of Immunology, School of Medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Ph.D. in Immunology, Associate Professor, Department of Immunology., School of Medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
M.Sc. in Educational Sciences, Instructor, Department of Educational Sciences, School of Educational Sciences and Psychology, Shahid Chamran University, Ahvaz, Iran
Background & Objective: Approach to the study as one of the factors affects students learning and achievement is of a great importance The aim of this study was to compare medical students approaches to learning in preclinical and clinical years of study and its effect on their academic achievement Methods: In this descriptiveanalytic study a total of 137 medical students in preclinical and clinical years of study in Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences Ahvaz Iran were evaluated by using Approaches and Study Skills Inventory for Students (ASSIST) questionnaire Grade point average of students in theoretical and practical courses was considered as an indicator of their academic achievement Results : The most common approach to study and learning was deep approach (401%) In clinical years of study a significant increase of using deep approach and significant decrease of using surface approach were observed There was no significant difference between preclinical and clinical students in regard to their learning and study approaches (P = 0140) Learning and study approach showed significant relationship with students academic achievement (P = 001) Conclusion: Due to the significance of using deep approach in learning it is recommended that educational planners provide the best learning conditions to encourage students to take advantage of this study approach
- Saif A, Fathabadi J. Different Approaches to Lesson Study and the Relationship of Study Skills with Academic Achievement, Gender and Educational Experience of University Students. Daneshvar Raftar 2009; 33(15):2940. [In Persian]
- Marton, F, Saljo, R. On qualitative differences in learning, outcome and process. British Journal of Educational Psychology 1976; 46(1):4-11.
- Coffield, F, Moseley D, Hall E, Ecclestore K. Learning styles and pedagogy in post-16 learning: a systematic and critical review. London: Learning and Skills Research Centre; 2004.
- Entwistle, N.J, & Ramsden, P. Understanding student learning. London: Croom Helm; 1983.
- Entwistle N, Tait H, McCune V. Patterns of response to an approach to studying inventory across contrasting groups and contexts. European Journal of Psychology of Education 2000; 15(1): 33-48.
- Biggs J. What inventories of students’ learning processes really measure? A Theoretical review and clarification. British Journal of Educational Psychology 1993; 63(1): 3-19.
- Dart BC. A goal-mediational model of personal and environmental influences on tertiary students' learning strategy use. Higher Education 1994; 28(4): 453-70.
- Emamipour S, Shams Esfandabad H. Learninh and Cognitive Styles: Theories and Tests. Tehran: Samt Publisher; 2007.
- Fathabadi J, Saif A. Investigating the effects of type of assessment (Essay and MultipleChoice) on students’ approaches to studying and exam perception strategies between students with high and low achievement. Journal of Education and Psychology 2007; 3(4): 21-46.
- Byrne M, Flood B, Willis P. An interinstitutional exploration of the learning approaches of students studying accounting. International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education 2009;20(2) :155-67.
- Abraham RR, Vinod P, Kamath MG, Asha K, Ramnarayan K. Learning approaches of undergraduate medical students to physiology in a non-PBL- and partially PBL-oriented curriculum. Adv Physiol Educ 2008; 32(1): 35–7.
- Senemoglu N. College of education students’ approaches to learning and study skills. Education and science 2011; 36(160): 65-80.
- Cowman S. The approaches to learning of student nurses in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Journal of Advanced Nursing 1998; 28 (4): 899-910.
- Brodersen LD. Approaches to studying and study tactics of baccalaureate nursing students. Uuniversity of Northern IOWA 2011 Available from: http://gradworks.umi.com /32/ 98/3298304.html
- Carrick JA. The Effect of Classroom and Clinical Learning Approaches on Academic Achievement in Associate Degree Nursing Students.[Dissertation]. Indiana University of Pennsylvania 2010:191.
- McKee G, Patterson A, Fleming S, Sylvia H. Nursing and Medical Students Approaches to Learning and Studying: A Longitudinal Study. Available from: http://ocs.sfu.ca/aishe/index.p hp/international/2009/paper/download/129/47
- Shankar PR, Dubey AK, Binu VS, Subish P, Deshpande VY. Learning styles of preclinical students in a medical college in western Nepal. Kathmandu University Medical Journal 2006; 4(3):390-5.
- Mansouri P, Soltani F, Rahemi S, Moosavi Nasab M, Ayatollahi A, Nekooeian A; Nursing and midwifery students’ approaches to study and learning. Journal of Advanced Nursing 2006; 54(3):351-8.
- Abraham RR, Kamath A, Upadhya S, Ramnarayan K. Learning approaches to physiology of undergraduates in an Indian medical school. Medical Education 2006; 40(9): 916–23.
- Wickramasinghe DP, Samarasekera DN. Factors influencing the approaches to studying of preclinical and clinical students and postgraduate trainees. Education 2011; 11:22-9. BMC Medical
- Struyven K, Dochy F, Janssens S, Gielen S. On the dynamics of students' approaches to learning: The effects of the teaching/learning environment. Learning and Instruction 2006; 16 (4): 279-94.
- Chamorro-Premuzic T, Furnham A, Lewis M. Personality and approaches to learning predict preference for different teaching methods. Learning and Individual Differences 2007; 17: 241-25.
- Floyd KS, Harrington SJ, Santiago J. The Effect of Engagement and Perceived Course Value on Deep and Surface Learning Strategies. Informing Science: the International Journal of an Emerging Transdiscipline 2009; 12:181-90.
- Gulikers JTM, Bastiaens TJ, Kirschner PA, Kester L. Relations between student perceptions of assessment authenticity, study approaches and learning outcome. Studies in Educational Evaluation 2006; 32(4): 381-400.
- Diseth A. Approaches to learning, course experience and examination grade among undergraduate psychology students: testing of mediator effects and construct validity. Studies in Higher Education 2007; 32(3): 373-88.
- Leung SF, Mok E, Wong D. The Impact of assessment methods on the learning of nursing students. Nurse Education Today 2008; 28(6): 711-9.
- Ramsden P, Entwistle NJ, Effects of academic departments on students’ approaches to studying. British Journal of Educational Psychology 1981; 51(3): 368-83.
- Trigwell K, Prosser M, Waterhouse F. Relations between teachers' approaches to teaching and students' approaches to learning. Higher Education 1999; 37(1): 57–70.
- Biggs BJ. Approaches to the enhancement of tertiary teaching. Higher Education Research & Development 1989; 8(1):7–25.
- Duff A. The revised approaches to studying inventory (RASI) and its use in management education. Active Learning in Higher Education 2004; 5(1):56-72.
- Dobson JL. A comparison between learning style preference and sex, status, and course performance. Advances Physiology Education 2010; 34(4):197-204.
- Kreber C. The relationship between students’ course perception and their approaches to studying in undergraduate science courses: A Canadian experience. Higher Education Research and Development 2003; 22(1): 5775.
- Hassall T, Joyce J. Floating on the surface or in at the deep end? Management Accounting: Magazine for Chartered Accountants 1998; 76(5):46–50. Management
- Abdekhodae MS, Ghaffary A. The relationship between students' usage of study and learning strategies and their academic achievement. Studies In Education 2011; 11(2):23-29. [In Persian]
- Marion T, Ryan JA, Irwin FJ, et al. Observations of Veterinary Medicine Students’ Approaches to Study in Pre-clinical Years. European Veterinary Education: Structuring Future Development (JVME) 2004; 31(3):24254.
- Ward PJ. First year medical students’ approaches to study and their outcomes in a gross anatomy course. Clinical Anatomy 2011; 24(1):120–7.
- Diseth, A, Martinsen O. Approaches to Learning, Cognitive style, and Motives as predictors of Academic Achievement. Educational Psychology: An International Journal of Experimental Psychology 2003; 23(2): 195-207. Educational
- Davidson RA. Relationship of study approach and exam performance. Journal of Accounting Education 2002; 20(1):29-44.
- Minbashian A, Huon GF, Bird KD. Approaches to studying and academic performance in short-essay exams. Higher Education 2004; 47(2):161-76.
- The world federation for medical education. World summit on medical education. The changing medical profession. 1993. (Booklet). Available From: http: // books .google .com/ books/about/World_Summit_on_Medical_Edu cation.html?id=m2CqGwAACAAJ