Document Type : Original Article
Neurologist, Associate Professor of Neurology Dept., Neuroscience Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Researcher, B.Sc. in Health Service Management, Neuroscience Research Center, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
PhD of Mental Health, Associate Professor of Psychiatry Dept., Medical Education Research Centre (MERC), Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Resident of Neurology, School of Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Background & Objectives: Selection of specialty field to continue education is such a great challenge for general physicians that can create stress in their personal life The purpose of this study is survey of relationship of specialty select and education place with internship students anxiety in 2010 Methods: This descriptive and crosssectional study was performed on a total of 370 medical residents selected through stratified sampling from Isfahan Guilan Zahedan Sanandaj and Kashan Universities of Medical Sciences Iran Data were collected through demographic features questionnaire and Zung anxiety selfevaluation questionnaire Results : More than 92% of residents did not have anxiety and were in normal condition From all 168 (454%) had selected their specialty field based on just their personal interests 55 (149%) based on external factors and 147 (3974%) based on both internal and external factors In regard to the place of study 220 residents (595%) were studying in their first three preferred cities and there was a significant relationship between anxiety and place of education (P < 005) Conclusion: Since academic satisfaction and success of medical residents is highly dependent on studying in their favorite specialty field and place administrative programming by officials and planners is highly required for omitting barriers in selecting field and place of education
- Wells A. Metacognitive therapy for anxiety and depression. New York: A Division of Guilford Publication; 2009.
- Rezaei Aderiani M, Azadi A, Ahmadi A, Vahedian Azimi A. Comparison of depression, anxiety, stress and quality of life in dormitories students of Tarbiat Modares University. Iranian Journal of Nursing Research. 2007; 2(4): 31-8. [In Persian]
- Maroufi M. Survey of relative frequency depression symptoms in medical students and graduate physicians. Journal of Jahrom Uiversity of Medical Sciences. 2004; 1(1): 1-4. [In Persian].
- Mokhtaripour M, Goodarzi Z, Siadat A, Keivanara M. Anxiety, Depression and some of their Demographic Correlates in Students of Isfahan Medical University. Journal of Research in Behavioral Sciences. 2007; 5(2): 107-12 [In Persian].
- Sadock BJ, Sadock VA. Kaplan and Sadock's Synopsis of Psychiatry: BehavioralSciences/Clinical Psychiatry. Wolters Kluwer Health. 9 th ed. 2003.
- Halonen G.S, Santrock JW: Psychology (context and Application).Third Edition Mcgaw Hill CO. New York, America.1999.
- 7. Najafi pour S, Yektatalab Sh. The prevalence of depression among the students of Jahrom university of medical sciences and its relationship with academic failure. Journal of Jahrom University of Medical Sciences. 2009;6(2):27-37 [In Persian].
- Maleki H, Motaghipoor Y, Sadeghifar M. [A study on depression and anxiety related factors in Hamedan Medical Sciences University students]. Tehran University Medical Journal. 1997; 55(6): 79-85 [In Persian].
- Inam SN, Saqib A, Alam E. Prevalence of anxiety and depression among medical students of private university. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association. 2003; 53(2):447.
- Stress in during resident effect to pathology residents successful performance and number of medical errors. 2010. Available from:URL:http://www.pezeshk.us/?p=10380 [In Persian]
- Hadadgar A, Nikzad M, Samei F. Selection guide of medical specialty. Tehran: Ministry of Health, Treatment and Medical Education. 2004 [In Persian].باتک
- 12. Toozande Jani H, Barahani MT, Abaolahian E. [The comparison efficiency of education of anxiety control, and pharmacotherapy their combination in patients generalized anxiety disorder treatment]. [dissertation]. Tehran: Tehran Psychiatric Institute; 1993. [In Persian]
- 13. Malekian A, Alizadeh A, Ahmadzadeh GH. Anxiety and Depression in Cancer Patients. Journal of Research in Behavioral Sciences. 2007; 5(2): 115-8. [In Persian]
- Hadadgar A, Yusefy AR, Sabouri M, Richard G. Psychometric properties of a Persian version of the specialty indecision scale: A preliminary study. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2009; 8(2): 229-37. [In Persian]
- Shahidzade A, Azin A, Ebadi M, Omidvari Sh, et al Garmaroodi GhR. Stress in medical students: a cross-sectional study. Payesh. 2010; 9(1): 5-12. [In Persian]
- Dadkhah B, Mohammadi MA, Mozafari N. Mental Health Status of the Students in Ardabil University of Medical Sciences, 2004. Journal of Ardabil University of Medical Sciences. 2006; 6(1): 31-6. [In Persian]
- Zolfaghari H, Akoochakian Sh. [Survey of frequency anxiety in medical students in Esfahan university of medical sciences in 2000]. [dissertation]. Esfahan: Esfahan University of Medical Sciences; 2000. [In Persian]
- 18. Armstead C, et al. Relationship of racial stressors to blood pressure responses and anger expression in black college students. Health Psychology. 1989; 8(5):541-56.
- Hatami Z, Ardalan M. Assessment of the level of test anxiety in the students of the Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences & its related factors. Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences. 2010; 14(4): 99-105. [In Persian]