Document Type : Original Article
. PhD in Nursing, Associate Professor, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
PhD in Nursing, Assistant Professor, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
.PhD in Nursing, Instructor, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Bachelor, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: There are two basic learning approaches in academic education deep and surface If educational assessment is designed based on deep understanding it will lead to deep learning This study aimed to investigate conventional methods of assessment in medical surgical courses and its relationship with learning approaches in nursing students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran in 2010 Methods: This is a descriptive analytic study A questionnaire consisting of three sections including personal characteristics assessment methods and the revised twofactor study process questionnaire (RSPQ2F) was completed by 198 nursing students Data were analyzed using SPSS and by means standard deviation frequency Students ttest ANOVA Pearson correlation and Rho Results: The most used assessment methods were multiple choice question (MCQ) and Direct Observation Procedural Skills (DOPS) The mean score of deep learning approach was 3427 ± 5006 and of surface learning approach was 3121 ± 552 Regarding the relationship between learning approaches and assessment methods results showed a significant difference (P < 005) MCQ and DOPS alone resulted in the surface approach but a combination of tests and projects in written and DOPS tests lead to deep learning approach in clinical tests (P < 005) Conclusion: Using MCQ and DOPS without concentration on reflection and problem solving lead to surface approach As common assessment methods in this study led to surface approach using projects in written and clinical assessment for deep approach lifelong learning and student empowerment for their future responsibilities is suggested
- Azzizi F. Medical Education: Challenges And visions.First ed. Tehran: Health ministry; 1993.[In Persian]
- Shipman D, Roa M, Hooten J, Wang ZJ. Using the analytic rubric as an evaluation tool in nursing education: The positive and the negative. Nurse Education Today 2012;32(3):246-9.
- Seif AA. Psychology of modern farm 6th edition. Teharan, Doran, 2008.[In Persian]
- Bourbonnais FF, Langford S, Giannantonio L. Development of a clinical assessment tool for baccalaureate nursing students. Nurse Education in Practice 2008; 8(1):62-71.
- Duff A, Boley E, Dunleavy K, Fergusen J. The relationship between personality, approach to learning and academic performance. Personality and Individual Differences 2004; 36(8): 1907-20.
- Diseth A. Approaches to learning, course experience and examination grade among undergraduate psychology students; tests of mediator effects and construct validity. Studies in Higher Education 2007; 32(3): 373-388.
- Shokri A, Kadivar P, Farzad V, Daneshvarpoor Z. The thinking styles relationship and achievement. New Cognitive Sciences 2006;8(2):44-52.[In Persian]
- Penglase M. learning approaches in University calculus: The effects of an innovative program. The International Journal of Research and Review 2004;6(2):57-81.
- Parsa A, Saketi. Learning Approaches, outcomes and students perception of implemented curriculum. Shiraz Humanities and Social Sciences Journal 2006;26(3):1- 23.[In Persian]
- Reid WA, Duvall E, Evans P. Relationship between assessment results and approaches to learning in Year Two medical students. Medical Education 2007; 41(8): 754-62.
- Gulikers JTM, Bastiaens TJ, Kirschner PA, Kester L. Relations between student perceptions of assessment authenticity, study approaches and learning outcome. Studies in Education Evaluation 2006; 32(4): 381-400.
- Snelgrove SR. Approaches to Learning of student nurses. Nurse Education Today 2004; 24(8): 605-14.
- Houston TK, Clark JM, Levine RB, et al. Outcomes of a national faculty development program in teaching skills: prospective follow-up of 110 internal medicine faculty development teams. Journal of General Internal Medicine 2004;19(12):1220-7.
- Khomeiran RT, Yekta ZP, Kiger AM, Ahmadi F. Professional competence: factors described by nurses as influencing their development. International Nursing Review 2006; 53(1):66–72.
- Morrison J. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: assessment. British Medical Journal 2003;326(7385): 385 – 7.
- Watkins Ch, Carnell E, Lodge C. Effective learning in Classrooms. London: SAGE publishing Company; 2007.
- Akinsanya C, Williams M. concept mapping for meaningful learning. Nurse Education Today 2004; 24(1): 41-6.
- Narenji F, Roozbahani N, Amiri L. The effective education and evaluation program on clinical learning of nursing and midwifery instructors and students opinion in Arak University of Medical Sciences, 2008. Arak Medical University Journal 2010: 12(4), 103- 10.[In Persian]
- Leung SF, Mok E, Wong D. The impact of assessment methods on the learning of nursing students. Nurse Education Today 2008; 28(6): 711-9.
- Hessler K, Humphreys J. Student evaluations: advice for novice faculty. Journal Nurse Education 2008; 47(4):187-9.
- Harlen W. Criteria for evaluating systems for student assessment. Studies in Educational Evaluation 2007; 33(1):15-28.
- McKee G, Patterson A, Huntley S. Nursing and Medical Students approaches to learning and studying: A longitudinal study. Irland Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education 2009:27-28.
- Biggs J, Kember D, Leung D. The Revised two factor study process questionnaire: RSPQ-2F. British Journal of educational Psychology 2001;71(1):133-49.
- Magnussen L. The use of the cognitive behavior survey to assess nursing student learning. Journal of Nursing Education 2001;40(1):43-6.
- Haggis T. Constructing images of ourselves? A critical investigation into approaches to learning research in higher education. British Educational Research Journal 2003; 29(1):89- 104.
- Nejat N, Koohestani H, Rezaie K. Effect of Concept Mapping on Approach to Learning among Nursing Students. Hayat 2011;17(2):22-31.[In Persian]
- Mansouri P, Soltani F, Rahemi S, et al. Nursing and midwifery students’ approaches to study and learning. Journal of Advanced Nursing 2006;54(3): 351-8.
- Seif D, Khayer M. The relationship between motivation believes and learning approaches in some engineering and medical students in Shiraz Universities. Journal of Educational Sciences and Psychology 2007;3(1,2):57- 82.[In Persian]
- Vanhanen L, Janhonen S, Maunu M, Laukkala H. Changes in Finnish nursing students' nursing orientations between mid 1990s and mid-2000s. Nurse Education Today 2012;32(5):490-6.