Document Type : Original Article
Oral and Maxillofacial Radiologist, Associate Professor, School of Dentistry, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Oral and Maxillofacial Radiologist, Assistant Professor, Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, School of Dentistry, Yazd University of Shahid Sadoughi, Yazd, Iran
Community Medicine Specialist, Associate Professor, Neuroscience Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: The present study aimed to evaluate students skill in identification of intraoral radiographs faults and the way correcting them Methods: Seven intraoral radiographs included 6 periapical radiographs and 1 bitewing with common errors selected The slides were showed to each student in standard and same condition Each student must have passed the relative radiologic courses The radiographs included 7 technical errors and 4 processing errors Each student was asked to assess each film for the presence/absence of film fault(s) and to detail how to correct the faults Descriptive analytical test and ttest were used to assess the data Results: The minimum and maximum scores were 9 and 19 respectively out the total score 22 The mean score of the identification film faults was 77 and the mean score of troubleshooting the faults was 58 of 11 The ttest showed no statistically significant difference between the male and female student (P > 005) Conclusion: The skill of student in identification the film faults is superior to troubleshooting the errors There was no statistically significant difference between the male and female student
- Royal College of Radiologist and the National Radiological Protection Board Guidelines on radiology standards for Primary dental care. Chilton: National Radiological Protection Board; 1994;p4.
- National Radiological Protection Board, Guideline notes for dental practioners on the safe use of X-ray equipment. London: Department of Health; 2001.
- Hafezi L, Sepahian A. Statistical assessment of the intraoral radiographic faults made by dental student of Zahedan dental school. Zahedan University of Medical Sciences 2004: 104. [In Persian]
- Rushton VE, Horner K, Worthington HV. The quality of panoramic radiographs in a sample of general dental practices. British Dental Journal 1999; 186:630-3.
- International Commission on Radiological Protection, ICRP Publication, 60. Radiation protection. 1990 recommendation of the International Commission on Radiological Protection. Annuals of the International Commission on Radiological Protection, 21. oxford: Pergamon; 1991-P1-3.
- Rushton VE, Hirschnann PN, Bearn DR. The effectiveness of undergraduate teaching on the identification of radiographic film faults. Dentomaxilofacial Radiology 2005;34:33742.
- Ezzoddini F, Dad sefat R. Investigating the cause for repeating periapical radiographies in radiology department of school of dentistry and the effect of education on its reduction. Iranian Journal of medical Education 2010; 9(4):337-45.
- Patel JR. Intraoral radiographic errors. Oral surgery, oral medicine, oral pathology 1979; 48(5):479-83.
- Patel JR, Greer DF. Evaluating student progress through error reduction in intra oral radiographic technique. Oral surgery, Oral medicine, Oral pathology 1998; 62(4):471-4.
- Silveira H, Liedke G, Dalla_Bona R, et al. Development of a graphic application and evaluation of teaching and learning of the bisecting-angle technique for periapical radiographs. Educação, Formação & Tecnologias 2008; 1 (2):59-65.