Document Type : Original Article
PhD in Traditional Medicine, Professor, Department of Traditional Medicine, School of Traditional Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
PhD in Educational Planning, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, Medical Education Research Center. Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Internist, Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, School of Medicine, Medical Science Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. in Pharmacognosy, Professor, Department of Traditional Medicine, School of Traditional Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
MD, M.Sc. in Medical Education, Office of Educational Development, Department of Traditional Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: Most experts of Iranian traditional medicine believe that it is absolutely necessary and inevitable to update the field to utilize evidence in education of Iranian traditional medicine students and treatment of its patients In this regard this study attempted to evaluate utilization of evidencebased medicine (EBM) in the curriculum of School of Iranian Traditional Medicine Methods: In this qualitative study semistructured individual and facetoface interviews were done to collect Iranian traditional medicine experts point of views in regard to EBM Content analysis was done to analyze the data Results: The study findings were classified in two major categories including EBM in the curriculum of Iranian traditional medicine and EBM application in Iranian School of Traditional Medicine The subcategories were also mentioned Conclusion: Although some sections of PhD program in traditional medicine are related to evidence based medicine it is not satisfying yet Therefore the concept and principles of evidence based practice should be included in theory and practice
- Aiyer Mk, Dorsch JL. The transformation of an EBM curriculum: a 10-year experience. Medical Teacher 2008; 30(4):377-83.
- Gibson KE, Silverbery M. A Two-year experience teaching computer literacy to first- year medical students using skill- based cohorts. Bulletin Medical Library Association 2000; 88(2):157-64.
- Yazdani Sh. Evidence based Surgery. Iranian Journal of Surgery 2008; 15(4):1-6. [In Persian]
- Mohammadi Kenari H, Soltani Arabshahi K, Bigdeli Sh, et al. Clarifying the concept of evidence- based practice in Iranian Traditional medicine from experts’ viewpoint. Journal Of Islamic And Iranian Traditional Medicine 2011;2(3): 203-14. [In Persian]
- Kyngas H, Vahanen L. Content analysis as a research method. Journal of Nursing Science 1999; 11:3-13.
- Cheevakumjorn B. An analysis of prosocial and aggressive content in Thai. Children’s literature and its relationship to contemporary societal problems in Thailand. Dissertation abstract international 1993; 45: 3669.
- Mayring P. Qualitative content analysis. Forum Qualitative Social Research 2000; 1(2): 1-10.
- Farahani M, Ahmadi F. Doctoral Nursing Students’ Viewpoints about the Nursing PhD Curriculum. Iranian Journal of Medical Education 2006; 6(1): 83-92. [In Persian]
- Sadeghi Sarvestani A. Evaluation of clinical students’ opinion about evidence base medicine in Shiraz Medical University. Special edition of tenth meeting of medical education. Journal of Sabzevar 2009: 455. [In Persian]
- Rashid Beigi M, Taloog Dar A, Teimoori H, et al. Attitude and knowledge of physicians of Ilam to evidence base medicine 2011. Special edition of twelfth national meeting of medical education. Journal of Ofogh 2011: 134. [In Persian]
- Yazdi Z, Zohal MA, Sarchami R. Evaluation the knowledge and attitude of general practitioners of Gahzvin about evidence base medicine. Special edition of twelfth national meeting of medical education. Journal of Ofogh 2011: 285. [In Persian]
- Saravani Sh. Usage of evidence base medicine in medicine of Iran: systematic review. Special edition of twelfth national meeting of medical education. Journal of Ofogh 2011: 414. [In Persian]
- Momeni Danaei Sh, Ghodsi Booshehri S. Evaluating the degree of knowledge and using the evidence base dentistry by professors of dentistry university of Shiraz. Special edition of tenth meeting of medical education. Journal of Sabzevar 2009: 128. [In Persian]
- Yakh Foroshiha A, Sarchami R, Falah Mohammadi N, et al. knowledge and utilization of evidence base medicine in clinical teacher of medical university of Ghazvin, 1387. Special edition of tenth meeting of medical education. Journal of Sabzevar 2009:426. [In Persian]
- Mohamadi Kenari H. Exploration of the concept of evidence based practice and its levels in Iranian Traditional Medicine according to the experts. Thesis of master degree of medical education, Tehran: Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Science and Health Services, 2011.
- Tricoci P, Allen JM, Kramer JM, et al. Scientific evidence underlying the ACC/AHA clinical practice guidelines. The Journal of the American Medical 301(8):831-41. Association 2009;
- Changiz T, Kabiri P, Mozafarpour S, et al. Is our clinical decision making based on the best research evidence?? Journal of Isfahan Medical School 2003; 28(121): 1-8. [In Persian]
- Rakel D. Integrative medicine. 2nd edition. Philadelphia: Saunders, an imprint of Elsevier; 2007.
- Verhoef MJ, Casebeer AL, Hilsden RJ. Assessing efficacy medicine: adding of complementary qualitative research methods to the gold standard. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 2002; 8(3): 275-81.
- Vuckoic N. Integrating Qualitative Methods in Randomized Controlled Trials: The Experience of the Oregon center for complementary and alternative medicine. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine 2002; 8(3): 225-7.