Document Type : Original Article
PhD in Nursing, Instructor, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
PhD in Nursing, Associate Professor, Physiology Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
PhD in Nursing, Assistant Professor, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: Identifying clinical education problems is a challenge in training staffs and professional role acceptance This study aimed to identify nursing faculty perception from student evaluation challenges in medical surgical wards Methods: This was a descriptive qualitative study Participants were 14 nursing faculty members and purposeful sampling was used until data saturation Interview was done for data collection All the interviews were recorded and then transcribed and analyzed Software One Note 2010 was used for documentation of interviews and extracted codes Manifest content analysis was used for data analysis Results: Four themes and 14 categories were emerged including superficial evaluation (face evaluation evaluation with invalid instrument modeless evaluation and detail center evaluation) unreal center evaluation (theory based evaluation unprofessional based evaluation tact based evaluation and help to average rise based evaluation) betbased evaluation (conservative evaluation student recompensebased evaluation of teacher and cliché type evaluation) and incomplete evaluation (unintegrated evaluation unclear evaluation and to digress of criterion reference evaluation) Conclusion: Modeless and noninstrumental evaluation was reported as important subjects that emphasized by faculty members Some interventions for fair evaluation were recommended as using valid instrument and proper approaches based on short and long goals for competent graduated to health care system entry
- Shipman D, RoaM,HootenJ, Wang Z J. Using the analytic rubric as an assessment tool in nursing education: The positive and the negative. Nurse Education Today 2012;32(3): 246-249.
- Emerson RJ. Nursing education: in clinical setting. Washington: St Louis: Mosby Co; 2007.
- Bourbonnais FF, Langford S, Giannantonio L. Development of a clinical evaluation tool for baccalaureate nursing students .Nurse Education Practice 2008; 8(1): 62-71.
- Hessler K, Humphreys J. Student evaluations: advice for novice faculty. Nurse Education 2008;47(4):187-9.
- Leung SF, Mok E, Wong D. The impact of assessment methods on the learning of nursing students. Nurse Education Today 2008;28(6): 711-9.
- Yanhua C. Watson R. A review of clinical competence assessment in nursing. Nurse Education Today 2011;31(3):832-6.
- Zamanzadeh V, Abdollahzadeh F, Lotfi M, Aghazadeh A. Assessing Clinical Education Fields from the Viewpoints of Nursing and Midwifery Instructors in TabrizUniversity of Medical Sciences. Iranian Journal of Medical Education 2008; 7(2): 299-307. [In Persian]
- Chehrzad M, Sharifi Pour Z, Mirzaei M, Kazemzade E. Comparison between two methods: Objective structured clinical evaluation (OSCE) and traditional on nursing students’ satisfaction. Journal of Guilan University of Medical sciences 2004;13(50):813. [In Persian]
- Alavi M, Irajour AR, Abedi HA. Some Concepts in the Evaluation of Clinical Education: a Qualitative Study on the Experiences of Nursing Students and Clinical Teachers. Strides in development of Medical Education 2007; 4(1):10-18. [In Persian]
- Khosravi S, Pazargadi M, Ashktorab T. Nursing Students` Viewpoints on Challenges of Student Assessment in Clinical Settings: A Qualitative Study. Iranian Journal of Medical Education 2012; 11(7): 735-49. [In Persian]
- Burns N, Grove S. Understanding Nursing Research. Philadelphia; W.B. Saunders Co: 2006.
- Polit D F, HunglerBP. Nursing Research: Principles and Methods. Philadelphia: Lippincott; 2006.
- 13. Duers LE, Brown N. An exploration of student nurses` experiences of formative assessment. Nurse Education Today 2009; 29(6): 654-9.
- Andersson PL, Ahlner-Elmqvist MA, Johansson UB, et al. Nursing students' experiences of assessment by the Swedish National Clinical Final Examination. Nurse Education Today 2013; 33(5): 536-40.
- Walsh T, Jairath N, Paterson MA, Grandjean C. Quality and safety education for nurses clinical evaluation tool. Journal of Nursing Education 2010; 49(9): 517-22.
- Elcigil A, Sari HY. Determining problems experienced by student nurses in their work with clinical educators in Turkey. Nurse Education Today 2007; 27(5): 491-8.
- Papp L, Markkanen M, Von Bonsdorff M. Clinical environment as a learning environment: Student’s nurses perceptions concerning clinical learning experiences. Nurse Education Today. 2003; 23(4): 262-8.
- Narenji F, Roozbahani N, Amiri L. The effective education and assessment program on clinical learning of nursing and midwifery instructors and students opinion in Arak University. Arak Medical University Journal 2010; 12(4): 103-10. [In Persian]
- Tiwari A, Lam D, Yuen KH, et al. Student learning in clinical nursing education: Perceptions of the relationship between assessment and learning. Nurse Education Today 2005; 25(4):299-308.
- McSharry E, McGloin H, Donnell LW. The role of the nurse lecturer in clinical practice in the Republic of Ireland.Nurse Education Practice 2010: 10(4):189-95.
- Asfour HI, El-Soussi AH. A qualitative study of effectiveness of clinical teaching. Journal of American Science 2011;7(7):409-20.
- McCutchan JA. The experience of Baccalaureate degree seeking nursing students undergoing the process of clinical evaluation Apprasial. Indiana: Indiana State University; 2010.