Document Type : Original Article
Prosthodontis, Associate Professor, Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Postgraduate Student, Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Oral Pathologist, Associate Professor, Kerman Dental and Oral Diseases Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Dentist, School of Dentistry, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: Dentistry is a stressful job and dental students are exposed to educational and environmental stresses The aim of this study was to determine the stress level in dental students Methods: This crosssectional study was conducted on students of School of Dentistry Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran Data were collected by Depression Anxiety and Stress Scales (DASS21) standard questionnaire and analyzed by linear regression and ttest Results: 326% of students had moderate and 43% had severe stress There was no significant differences between sex academic year mean of scores and stress level Married students had more stress (P = 0037) Students staying with their parents had low stress level (P = 0047) In 66% of students the university issues were stressor Conclusion: Based on the result of this study stress level among dental students is fairly high greater attention to this issue is recommended
- Kay EJ, Lowe JC. A survey of stress levels, self-perceived health and health-related behaviours of UK dental practitioners in 2005. Br Dent J 2008; 204(11): E19-3.
- Westerman GH, Grandy TG, Ocanto RA, Erskine CG. Perceived sources of stress in the dental school environment. J Dent Educ 1993; 57(3): 225-31.
- Polychronopoulou A, Divaris K. A longitudinal study of Greek dental students' perceived sources of stress. J Dent Educ 2010; 74(5): 524-30.
- Murphy RJ, Gray SA, Sterling G, Reeves K, DuCette J. A comparative study of professional student stress. J Dent Educ 2009; 73(3): 328-37.
- Muirhead V, Locker D. Canadian dental students' perceptions of stress and social support. Eur J Dent Educ 2008; 12(3): 144-8.
- Polychronopoulou A, Divaris K. Dental students' perceived sources of stress: a multicountry study. J Dent Educ 2009; 73(5): 631-9.
- Birks Y, McKendree J, Watt I. Emotional intelligence and perceived stress in healthcare students: a multi-institutional, multiprofessional survey. BMC Med Educ 2009; 9: 61.
- Acharya S. Factors affecting stress among Indian dental students. J Dent Educ 2003; 67(10): 1140-8.
- Rajab LD. Perceived sources of stress among dental students at the University of Jordan. J Dent Educ 2001; 65(3): 232-41.
- Levi L. Occupational stress. Spice of life or kiss of death? Am Psychol 1990; 45(10): 11425.
- Badran DH, Al-Ali MH, Duaibis RB, Amin WM. Burnout among clinical dental students at Jordanian universities. East Mediterr Health J 2010; 16(4): 434-7.
- Lovibond SH, Lovibond PF. The Dass: Manual for the Depression, Anxiety Stress Scales. Sydney, Australia: Foundation of Australia; 1996. Psychology
- Sahebi A, Asghari M, Salari S. Validation of stress anxiety and depression scale (DASS-21) for an Iranian population. Developmental Pscychology 2005; 1(4): 299-312. [In Persian].
- Moradipanah F. Effect of light music on depression, anxiety and stress (DASS-21) for Iranian population [MSc Thesis]. Tehran, Iran: Tarbiat Modares University; 2005. [In Persian].
- Sugiura G, Shinada K, Kawaguchi Y. Psychological well-being and perceptions of stress amongst Japanese dental students. Eur J Dent Educ 2005; 9(1): 17-25.
- Rada RE, Johnson-Leong C. Stress, burnout, anxiety and depression among dentists. J Am Dent Assoc 2004; 135(6): 788-94.
- Akbari M, Nejat AH, Dastorani SM, Rouhani A. Evaluation of Stress Level and Related Factors among Students of Mashhad Dental School (Iran) in Academic Year of 2008-2009. J Mashad Dent Sch 2011; 35(3): 156-76. [In Persian].
- Yaraee M. Evaluation of stress in students of dentistry in Shahid Beheshti University [Doctoral Thesis]. Tehran, Iran: Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences; 2001. [In Persian].
- Abu-Ghazaleh SB, Rajab LD, Sonbol HN. Psychological stress among dental students at the University of Jordan. J Dent Educ 2011; 75(8): 1107-14.
- Ahmad MS, Md Yusoff MM, Abdul R, I. Stress and its relief among undergraduate dental students in Malaysia. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2011; 42(4): 9961004.
- Sofola OO, Jeboda SO. Perceived sources of stress in Nigerian dental students. Eur J Dent Educ 2006; 10(1): 20-3.
- Tangade PS, Mathur A, Gupta R, Chaudhary S. Assessment of Stress Level among Dental School Students: An Indian Outlook. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 2011; 8(2): 95-101.
- Dalband M, Farhadi Nasab A. Evaluation of Stress-Inducing Factors of Educational Environment in Hamadan Dentistry School's Students. Sci J Hamdan Univ Med Sci 2007; 13(4): 48-52. [In Persian].
- Morse Z, Dravo U. Stress levels of dental students at the Fiji School of Medicine. Eur J Dent Educ 2007; 11(2): 99-103.
- Humphris G, Blinkhorn A, Freeman R, Gorter R, Hoad-Reddick G, Murtomaa H, et al. Psychological stress in undergraduate dental students: baseline results from seven European dental schools. Eur J Dent Educ 2002; 6(1): 22-9.