Document Type : Original Article
Psychiatrist, Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Neuroscience Research Center, School of Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
General Practitioner, Neuroscience Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: Public speaking is a common academic activity Social phobia is associated with fear of public speaking which affects educational achievement However few researches have examined the prevalence of social phobia among university students in Iran The aim of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of social phobia among students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran and its impact on their academic performance Methods: Social Phobia Inventory (SPIN) Brief Version of Negative Evaluation Scale and a questionnaire assessing demographic characteristics and academic performance were applied to 700 randomly selected students from Kerman University of Medical Sciences Results: The prevalence of social phobia among the university students was 406% Grade Point Average (GPA) was not significantly different between the students with social phobia comparing to students without social phobia Yet students with social phobia believed that fear of speaking in public had negative effects on their academic performance In this study only 41% of students with social phobia have been visited by psychiatrists Conclusion: Preventive strategies are recommended to reduce the underrecognition and the adverse impact of social phobia on academic performance of university students
- American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, text revision. 5nd ed. Washington DC: American Psychiatric Association; 2000.
- Antony M, Swinson R. Shyness and social anxiety workbook: proven, step-by-step techniques for overcoming your Fear. Shyness and social anxiety. 2nd ed. California: New Harbinger Publications; 2008: 16.
- Toit PL, Stein DJ. Social anxiety disorder. In: Nutt DJ, Ballenger JC, editors. Anxiety disorders. Philadelphia: Wiley-Blackwell; 2003; 137-51.
- Safren SA, Heimberg RG, Horner KJ, Juster HR, Schneier FR, Liebowitz MR. Factor structure of social fear: The Liebowitz social anxiety scale. J Anxiety Disord 1999; 13(3):253-70.
- Faravelli C, Zucchi T, Viviani B, Salmoria R, Perone A, Paionni A, et al. Epidemiology of social phobia: a clinical approach. Eur Psychiatry 2000; 15(1): 17-24.
- Van Ameringen M, Mancini C, Farvolden P. The impact of anxiety disorders on educational achievement. J Anxiety Disord 2003; 17(5): 561–71.
- Ghaedi GH, Tavoli A, Bakhtiari M, Melyani M, Sahragard M. Quality of life in college students with and without social phobia. Soc Indic Res 2010; 97(2):247–56.
- Wittchen HU, Fuetsch M, Sonntag H, Müller N, Liebowitz M. Disability and quality of life in pure and comorbid social phobia. Findings from a controlled study. Eur Psychiatry 2000; 15(1): 46-58.
- Nelson EC1, Grant JD, Bucholz KK, Glowinski A, Madden PAF, Reich W, et al. Social phobia in a population-based female adolescent twin sample: co-morbidity and associated suicide-related symptoms. Psychol Med. 2000; 30(4):797-804.
- Essau CA, Conradt J, Petermann F. Frequency and comorbidity of social phobia and social fears in adolescents. Behav Res Ther 1999; 37(9): 831-43.
- Mohammadi MR1, Ghanizadeh A, Mohammadi M, Mesgarpour B. Prevalence of social phobia and its comorbidity with psychiatric disorders in Iran. Depress Anxiety 2006; 23(7): 405-11.
- Mohammadi MR, Alavi A, Mahmoodi J, Shahrivar Z, Tehranidoost M, Saadat S. Prevalence of Psychiatric Disorders amongst Adolescents in Tehran. Iran J Psychiatry 2008; 3(3): 100-4. [In Persian]
- Ghafari AR, Pooya F. Prevalence of social phobia and some related among high school students in Kerman. Hormozgan Med J 2001; 5(3); 26-29. [In Persian]
- Zamani A.R, Taban H, Sajadi A, Heidarzadeh A. Social phobia prevalence in youngs. J Res Med Sci 2003; 8 (1): 8-11. [In Persian]
- Talepasand S, Nokani M. Social phobia symptoms: prevalence and Sociodemographic correlates. Arch Iran Med 2010; 13(6): 522-7. [In Persian]
- Izgiç F1, Akyüz G, Doğan O, Kuğu N. Social phobia among university students and its relation to self-esteem and body image. Can J Psychiatry 2004; 49(9):630–4.
- Bella TT, Omigbodun OO. Social phobia in Nigerian university students: prevalence, correlates and co-morbidity. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2009; 44(6): 458-63.
- Tillfors M, Furmark T. Social phobia in Swedish university students: prevalence, subgroups and avoidant behavior. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Jan;42(1):79-86. Epidemiol 2007
- Salina M, Ng CG, Gill JS, Chin JM. Social anxiety problem among medical students in university Malaya medical center (UMMC) – A cross-sectional study. Malaysian J Psychiatry 2008; 17(2): 17-22.
- Connor KM1, Davidson JR, Churchill LE, Sherwood A, Foa E, Weisler RH. Psychometric properties of the Social Phobia Inventory (SPIN). Br J Psychiatry 2000; 176(4): 379-86.
- Abedi M. (dissertation). Cognitive biases in interpretation in people with social phobia. Tehran: Iran University of Medical Sciences; 2003.
- Tavoli A, Melyani M, Bakhtiari M, Ghaedi G, Montazeri A. The Brief Fear of Negative Evaluation Scale (BFNE): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. BMC Psychiatry 2009; 9(1): 42.
- Gültekin BK1, Dereboy IF. The prevalence of social phobia, and its impact on quality of life, academic achievement, and identity formation in university students. Turk Psikiyatri Derg. 2011;22(3):150-8.
- Stein MB, Kean YM. Disability and quality of life in social phobia: epidemiologic findings. Am J Psychiatry 2000; 157(10):1606-13.
- Stein MB, Walker JR, Forde DR. Public speaking fear in a community sample: prevalence, impact on functioning, and diagnostic classification. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1996; 53(2): 169-74.
- Massion AO1, Warshaw MG, Keller MB. Quality of life and psychiatric morbidity in panic disorder and generalized anxiety disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 1993; 150(4):600-7.