Document Type : Original Article
Assistant Professor, Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing, Razi School of Nursing and Midwifery AND Medical Education Development Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
M.Sc. Student, Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing, Razi School of Nursing and Midwifery, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Alborz University of Medical Sciences, Karaj , Iran
Background & Objective: In addition to teaching predesigned courses physicians are usually expected to participate directly in designing curriculum during their professional life Today traditional education systems are not sufficient for developing the expected competencies in physicians One of the applications of new advancements by cognitive science in curriculum design is the development of strategies for improving the quality of the undergraduate medical education curriculum Educational strategies are “fundamental oriented decisions in teaching that are aimed to achieve educational goals” Methods: This article was a narrative review that introduced and explained the most important educational strategies in undergraduate medical curriculum through surveying valid electronic and library resources Results: Now the most important educational strategies in undergraduate medical curriculum are a series of studentcentered problembased learning integrated or interprofessional teaching communitybased electivedriven and systematic strategies (SPICES) and also a set of strategies that are productfocused relevant interprofessional short courses multisite locations and symbiotic (PRISMS) and a group of realistic integrated feedback learning and evaluation strategies (RIFLE) as well Conclusion: Each strategy is represented as a spectrum In each spectrum the educational planner must define the position of every component of the curriculum In order to apply these strategies the curriculum must be intervened according to the selected strategy so that the results of the evaluations and the evidence of interventions ensure the planners that the quality of the curriculum is improved
- Habibi SH, Rezaei-Hachesoo P, Tabaghi R. Enhancing Information Literacy as a Base of Developing Evidence-based Nursing. Health Inf Manage 2010;7(3):371-8. [In Persian]
- Spector N. Evidence-based nursing in nursing regulation. [cited 2006 Sep 25]. Available from:URL: http://www.ncsbn.org
- Susan J, Wells Lani M, Merritt Harold E. Bias racism and evidence based practice:the case for more focused development of the child welfare evidence base. Children and Youth Services Review 2009; 31(11): 1160-71.
- Brady D, Hyde Abbey. Certificate-trained staff nurses perceptions of the changes in nursing education in Ireland from certificate to diploma level. J Contin Educ Nurs 2001;33(5): 231-7.
- Fesharaki M, Islami M, Moghimian M, Azarbarzin M. The effect of lecture in comparison with lecture and problem based learning on nursing students self-efficacy in Najafabad Islamic Azad University. Iran J Med Educ 2010;10(3):262-8. [In Persian]
- Stevens KR, Cassidly VR. Evidence base teaching; current research in nursing education. J Nurs Educ 1999; 6(22):45-54.
- Mosavi A. Fundamental and principles of management in nursing. 2nd ed. Tehran: Teimorzadeh; 2005. [In Persian]
- Parviniyan-nasab A, Vejdani M, Dehghani A, Keshtkaran Z, Kavoosi A. Barriers to using evidence base practice from nurses point of view in Shiraz university of medical science. J Alborz Univ Med Sci 2013; 3(1):23-32. [In Persian]
- de Cordova PB, Collins S, Peppard L, Currie LM, Hughes R, Walsh M, et al. Implementing evidence base nursing with student nurses and clinicians Appl Nov;21(4):242-5.
- Jalali R, Nurs Abdul-malekiP, Res. 2008 KahriziM. Continuous Nursing Education From Nurses Point of View. J Kermanshah Univ Med Sci 2006;10(1):68-73. [In Persian]
- Oh EG1, Kim S, Kim SS, Kim S, Cho EY, Yoo JS, et al. Integrating evidence-based practice into RN-to-BSN clinical nursing education. J Nurs Educ 2010 Jul;49(7):387-92.
- Nezamzadeh M, Mokhtari Nouri J, Khademolhosseini M, Ebadi A. Quality of nursing evidence based guidelines from the nurses view. Iran J Crit Care Nurs 2011; 4(1):53-55. [In Persian]
- Retsas A. Barriers to using research evidence in nursing practice. J Adv Nurs 2000 Mar;31(3):599-606.
- Adib-hajbagheri M. Nurses perception about the evidence-based nursing: A Qualitative Study. Feiz 2006; 11(2), 44-52. [In Persian]
- Aghahosseini SH. Nursing knowledge & attitude about evidence base nursing in hospital of kashan University Of Medical Science. Nurs Midwifery J 2011; 6(22):45-54. [In Persian]
- Ruth Martis, Jacqueline J Ho, Caroline A Crowther. Survey of knowledge and perception on the access to evidence base practice and clinical practice change among maternal and infant health practitioners in South East Asia. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2008; 5(8):34.
- Hetzler R, Wilson M, Hill EK, Hollenback C. Securing pediatric peripheral iv catheters— application of an evidence-based practice model. J Pediatr Nurs 2011;26(2):143-8
- Odell E, Barta K. Teaching evidence-based practice: The bachelor of science in nursing essentials at work at the bedside. J Prof Nurs 2011; 27(6):370-7.
- Abolhasani S, Haghani F. Problem-based Learning in Nursing Education: A Review Article. Iran J Med Educ 2011; 10(5):726-34. [In Persian]
- Salehi P, Tabatabai A. Continuing education of health workers and Administration Guide Workshop New Edition. Ferdous;1990:218–9. [In Persian] Tehran:
- lauri S, Salantera S. Developing an instrument to measure and describe clinical decision making in different nursing fields. J Prof Nurs 2002; 18(2):93-100.
- Zhang Q, Zeng T, Chen Y, Li X. Assisting undergraduate nursing students to learn evidence base practice through self directed learning and workshop stratregies during clinical practicum. Nurse Educ Today 2012; 32(5):570-5.
- Hasani P, Khajiyan A. Evidence based nursing: clinical nurses view. J Shahidbeheshti Univ Med Sci 2010; 3(71):11-14. [In Persian].
- Mehrdad N, Salsali M, Kazemnejad A. Nursing readiness level at utilization finding research. J Shahid-beheshti Univ Med Sci 2010; 2(70):28-35. [In Persian]
- Mirsaeedi G, Ghoojazadeh M, Zamanzadeh V. Nursing contribution in clinical decisionmaking process. J Med Sci Tabriz Univ 2010;3 (17):19-25.[In Persian]
- Mirsaeedi G, Lackdizagi S, Ghoojazadeh M. Demographic factors involved in nurses' clinical decision making. Iran J Nurs 2011; 24(72):29-36. [In Persian]
- Mckinley Evidence C, based FletcherA, MCmurrayA. management practice: reducing falls in hospital. Collegian 2007; 14(2):20-5.
- Foster RL. Challenges in teaching evidencebased practice. J Spec Pediatr Nurs 2004; 9(3):75-6.
- Modarshahian F, Mohsenabadi M, Khazayi S.Effect of clinical education Evidence-base on the quality of patient care and satisfaction. Educational Strategies 2010;4 ( 4):189 -93 . [In Persian]
- Baldwin K1, Lamantia J, Prozialeck L. Emergency preparedness and bioterrorism response: development of an educational program for public health personnel. Public Health Nurs 2005;22(3):248-53.