Document Type : Original Article
Subspecialist in Thoracic Surgery, Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
MD.MPH. Clinical Skills Division, Medical Education Development Center, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Background & Objective: Assessment of perceptions of the students undertaking different examinations is useful in the determination of the efficacy of evaluation methods in medical education The aim of this study is to assess the attitude of medical interns of Babol University of Medical Sciences Iran about objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) in surgery during the years 20092013 Methods: This was a descriptiveanalytic study A researchermade questionnaire was distributed among the students immediately after the final OSCE of the surgery course and their perception about the different aspects of this examination was assessed in the form of 5point Likert scales Data analysis was performed by Stata SE software All values of P were considered significance if P < 005 Results: In 164 medical students who filled out the questionnaires the frequency of satisfaction of students were: 46% with the examination location 358% with the type of questions at each station 397% with fairness and rationality of questions and 294% with suitability of time allocated to stations 354% with standardized patients (SP) 478% with supervisors 623% anxiety effect and 353% overall satisfaction with the examination was reported at high or very high level Overall satisfaction of students had a significant relationship with anxiety examination location type and fairness of the questions time allocated to stations functions of SPs and supervisors (P < 005) Conclusion: Overall these students perceived the OSCE as a suitable method to assess their clinical skills Surgery is an important and critical course in the training of medical students and accurate evaluation of clinical competences of trainees in this course should be performed with appropriate examinations like OSCE Therefore continuous quality improvement of these exams effective feedback to the students and implementation of educational workshops for them during the course can be useful
- Norcini J, McKinley DW. Assessment methods in medical education. Teaching and Teacher Education 2007; 23(3):239–50.
- Epstein R M. Assessment in medical education. N Engl J Med 2007;356(4):387-96.
- Rao T. Changing trends in the medical examinations. [cited 2013 Oct 20]. Available from: http://www.slideshare.net/doctortvrao/changin g-trends-in-the-medical-examinations
- Hashim Z, Miller A, Fahim N. The exam skills workshop as formative assessment for medical students. Int J Collaborative Res Internal Med Public Health 2012;4(5): 578-88.
- Baharin S. Objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) in operative dentistry course - its implementation and improvement. Procedia - Soc Behav Sci 2012; 60:259-65.
- Sim SB, Kweon JH, Kim HW, Hong JW, Shin S W. Student Satisfaction Study of Clinical Skills Training in Korean Medical Education. J Korean Med 2013; 34(3): 37-53.
- Sydney S. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine: Skill based assessment. BMJ 2003; 326(7391): 703–6.
- Hodges B. OSCE! Variations on a theme by Harden. Med Educ 2003;37(12):1134–40.
- Ruedy J. Assessing students- clinical competence versus performance. IeJSME 2007; 1(1):15-21.
- OSCE home. Clinical Skills Assessment, Medical OSCE Exam. [cited 2013 Oct 20]. Available from: www.oscehome.com
- Boursicot K, Roberts T. How to set up an OSCE. Clin Teach 2005; 2 (1): 16-20.
- Newble D. Techniques for measuring clinical competence: objective structured clinical examinations. Med Educ 2004; 38(2): 199203.
- Saboury A, Vahid Dastjerdi E, Mahdian M, Kharazifard MJ. Dental residents' perceptions of Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) as a clinical evaluation method. J Dent School, Shahid Beheshti Univ Med Sci 2010; 28(2):88-94. [In Persian]
- Kalbitz M1, Liener U, Kornmann M, Gebhard F, Huber-Lang M. Evaluation of an objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) in surgery and orthopedics by medical students. Unfallchirurg 2010; 113(9): 726-30.
- Abdulla MA. Students perception of objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) in surgery at basrah college of medicine. Bas J Surg. [cited 2012 Sep 18]. Available from: http://basmedcol.edu.iq/media/2014/01/5Mazin-Abdul-Sattar.pdf
- Pierre RB, Wierenga A, Barton M, Branday JM, Christie CDC. Student evaluation of an OSCE in paediatrics at the University of the West Indies, Jamaica. BMC Med Educ 2004, 4(1):22.
- Brand HS, Schoonheim-Klein M. Is the OSCE more stressful? Examination anxiety and its consequences in different assessment methods in dental education. Eur J Dent Educ 2009;13(3):147-53.
- Zyromski NJ, Staren ED, Merrick HW. Surgery residents’ perception of the objective structured clinical examination (OSCE). Curr Surg 2003; 60(5):533-7.
- Sadia S, Sultana S, Fareesa Waqar F. OSCE as an Assessment Tool: Perceptions of Undergraduate Medical Students. Anaesth Pain Intensive Care 2009;13(2):65-67.
- Faryabi J, Farzad M, Sinaei N. Dental students' perspective on Objective Structured Clinical Examination in Kerman University of Medical Sciences. Strides Deve Med Educ J 2010;6(1):34-39. [In Persian]
- Imani M, Hosseini Tabatabaei MT. Is OSCE successful in pediatrics? J Med Educ 2005; 6(2);153-8.
- Bolhari J , Taghva A , Rasoulian M, Mohammadian M, Panaghi L, Amini H. Running the First Psychiatry OSCE in Iran and Satisfaction of Consultants, Residents, and Standardized Patients. Iran Psychiatry Clin Psychol 2007; 13(1):5-11. [In Persian]
- Hosseini SA, Fatehi N, Eslamian J, Zamani M. Reviewing the nursing students’ views toward OSCE test. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res 2011; 16(4): 318–20.
- Raheel H, Naem N. Assessing the Objective Structured Clinical Examination: Saudi family medicine undergraduate medical students perceptions of the tool. J Pak Med Assoc 2013;63(10): 1281-4.
- Hammad M, Oweis Y, Taha S, Hattar S, Madarati A, Kadim F. Students' opinions and attitudes after performing a dental OSCE for the first time: a Jordanian experience. J Dent Educ. 2013;77(1):99-104.
- Lavinia Fatah S, Ibrahim Brair R, Babiker Ali A. Simulator patient evaluation of student’s attitude during the final Obstetrics & Gynaecology OSCE exam as an experiment for introducing attitude evaluation in the grading scheme of students’ evaluation in future exams. J Neelain Univ 2012; 5. [In Arabic]