Document Type : Brief report
PhD in Health Services Management, Associate Professor, Health Sciences Research Center AND Department of Health Management, School of Health, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
PhD in Epidemiology, Assistant Professor, Health Sciences Research Center AND Department of Biostatistics, School of Health, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Medical Student, Department of Clinical Education, Student Research Committee, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
PhD Student in Medical and Health Services Management, Department of health services management, School of Health Management and Information Sciences, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Student Research Committee, Health and Management Department, School of Health, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Background & Objective: Interns are one of the most important groups among medical student and thus must learn to use evidencebased medicine (EBM) The present study was performed with the aim of evaluating the knowledge of medical interns of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences (MUMS) Iran on evidencebased medicine in 2013 Methods: In this descriptive crosssectional study 70 medical interns were selected using convenience sampling method Data were gathered using a standard questionnaire and analyzed by descriptive statistics and SPSS software Results: The information source for clinical decision making in 657% of interns were their textbooks among which 629% used textbooks because of their accessibility In addition 957% of interns believed EBM to be useful in improving patient care However only 371% of them knew the meaning of EBM and 957% were not familiar with EBM internet sites Conclusion: Integrated planning is necessary in order to include EBM courses in medical curriculum and to teach the use of internet and correct forms of searching
- Zare V. Evidence-based medicine approach among clinical faculty members. Med J Tabriz Univ Med Sci Health Service 2006;28(1):61-6. [In Persian]
- Rngraz Jedi F, Moraveji SA, Abazari F. Knowledge and use of evidence-based medicine amonggeneral practitioners, residents, and professionals part of the country. Urmia Med J 2012;23(6): 646-54. [In Persian]
- Sackett DL, Rosenberg WM, Gray JA, Haynes RB, Richardson WS. Evidence based medicine: what it is and what it isn't. BMJ 1996;312(7023):71-2.
- Rodrigues RJ. Information systems: the key to evidence-based health practice. Bull World Health Organ 2000; 78(11): 1344–51.
- Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Evidence-based medicine. A new approach to teaching the practice of medicine. JAMA 1992 ;268(17):2420-5.
- Amini M, Sagheb MM, Moghadami M, Shayegh S. The rate of knowledge and practice of medical residents of Shiraz medical school in regard to evidence-based medicine. Strides Dev Med Educ 2007; 4(1): 30-5. [In Persian]
- Sadeghi M, KHanjani N, Motamedi F. Knowledge, attitude and application of evidence based medicine (ebm) among residents of Kerman Medical Sciences University. Iran J Epidemiol 2011;7(3):6-20. [In Persian]
- Hatami S. why evidence-base medical? evidence-base Workshpo for members. [Computer File] 2003. faculty
- Al-Baghlie N, Al-Almaie SM. Physician attitudes towards evidence-based medicine in eastern Saudi Arabia. Ann Saudi Med 2004;24(6): 425-8.
- Wilson P, Glanville J, Watt I. Access to the online evidence base in general practice: a survey of the Northern and Yorkshire Region. Health Info Libr J 2003;20(3):172-8.
- Rohani A, Akbari V, Moradian K. Knowledge and use of evidence-based medicine in the clinical specialists and GPs who work in Yasuj medical sciences university. Iran J Med Educ 2011;11(7): 7013. [In Persian]
- Rafiei S, AbdollahzadehS,Ghajarzadeh M, Habibollahi P, Fayazbaksh A. The Effect of Introducing Evidence Based Medicine on Critical appraisal Skills of Medical Students. Iran J Medical Educ 2008;8(1): 149-52. [In Persian]
- Tehrani H, Sadeghi MM, Adibi I, Ashorian V, Zadeh AS, Adibi P. The Effect of an Evidence Based Medicine Workshop on Undergraduate Medical Students’ Skills in Applying EBM. Iran J Med Educ 2006; 6(2): 71-7. [In Persian]
- Al-Kubaisi NJ, Al-Dahnaim LA, Salama RE. Knowledge, attitudes and practices of primary health care physicians towards evidence-based medicine in Doha, Qatar. East Mediterr Health J 2010;16(11):1189-97.
- Szatmari P. The art of evidence-based child psychiatry. Evid Based Ment Health 2003;6(4):99-100.
- Isaacs D, Fitzgerald D. Seven alternatives to evidence based 1999;319(7225):1618. medicine. BMJ
- Awonuga AO. Postgraduate obstetrics and gynecology trainees' view and understanding of Evidence based medicine. Med Teach 2000; 22(1): 27-9.