Document Type : Original Article
PhD in Nursing, Assistant Professor, Department of Maternal and Child Health Nursing, School of Nursing and Allied Medical Sciences, Semnan University of Medical Sciences, Semnan, Iran
Medical Student, Student Research Committee, School of Medicine, Semnan University of Medical Sciences, Semnan, Iran
B.Sc. in Nursing, Emergency ward, Imam Khomeini Hospital Garmsar, Semnan University of Medical Sciences, Semnan, Iran
Background & Objective: Clinical teaching is an important process that prepares students for professional life The present study aims to identify bachelor nursing students viewpoints toward the effect of lectures behaviors on their learning during clinical courses Methods: This was a descriptive crosssectional study The participants consisted of 145 nursing students Data collection tool was a sevenpoint Likert scale that measured students viewpoints toward the effect of lecturers behaviors on their learning during clinical courses Finally the data were analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics methods and SPSS software Results : Data analysis showed that mean effective behaviors was higher than the average limit (559 ± 121) Moreover behavioral characteristics such as interpersonal relations personality teaching ability evaluation and professional competency obtained the highest scores respectively Conclusion: Professional and appropriated behaviors of lecturers during students clinical courses can enhance their learning Thus the executive authorities and training providers in the field of nursing education must provide the necessary circumstance to enhance lecturers behaviors in clinical settings
- Gignac-Caille AM, Oermann MH. Student and faculty perceptions of effective clinical instructors in ADN programs. J Nurs Educ 2001;40(8):347-53.
- Hassan Zahraei R, Atash Sokhan G, Salehi S, Ehsanpour S, Hassanzadeh A. Comparing the factors related to the effective clinical teaching from faculty members' and students' points of view. Iran J Med Educ 2008;7(2):249-55 .[In Persian]
- Sahebzamani M, Salahshooran Fard A, Akbarzadeh A, Mohammadian R. Comparison the viewpoint of nursing students and their trainers regarding preventing and facilitating factors of effective clinical teaching in Islamic Azad University, Marageh Branch. Med Sci J Islamic Azad Univ Tehran Med Branch 2011; 21(1):38-43. [In Persian]
- Holmes SP. Student and faculty perceptions of clinical teaching effectiveness of full-time and part-time baccalaureate degree clinical nursing faculty. Alabama: Auburn University; 2006.
- Tavakoli Ghoochani H, Karimi Z, Taefi Z, Hosseini R. Assessment of characteristic of effective clinical educator from nursing and midwifery students viewpoin in North Khorasan University of medical sciences. J North Khorasan Univ Med Sci 2009; 2(3):6570. [In Persian]
- Hoseini SA, Islamian J, Bakhtiari S. Basic clinical skills of nursing students: a comparison between nursing stu-dents', nursing graduates' and lecturers' viewpoints. Iran J Nursing an Midwifery Research. 2009;14(3): 123-129.
- Abedini S, Abedini S, Aghamollaee T, Jomeh-Zadeh A, Kamjo A. The clinical teaching problem from nursing and midwifery students viewpoints in Hormozghan University of Medicl Sciences. J Hormozgan Univ Med Sci 2009; 12(4):24953. [In Persain]
- Salehian M, Armat MR. Qualitative suyvery nursing students experiences to clinical education. J North Khorasan Univ Med Sci 2009;1(2-3):57-63. [In Persain]
- Tang FI, Chou SM, Chiang HH. Students' perceptions of effective and ineffective clinical instructors. 2005;44(4):187-92. J Nurs Educ
- de Guzman AB, Ormita MJ, Palad CM, Panganiban JK, Pestaño HO, Pristin MW. Filipino nursing students’ views of their clinical instructors’ credibility. Nurse Educ Today 2007;27(6):529-33.
- Kelly C. Students' perceptions of effective clinical teaching revisited. Nurse Educ Today 2007; 27(8):885-92.
- Hanifi N, Parvizy S, Joolaee S. The role of clinical instructor in clinical training motivation of nursing students: a qualitative study. Iran J Nurs Res 2012;7(24):23-33.
- Shahoei R, Hesami K, Zaheri F, Hashemi Nasab L. The experience of graduated midwifery students about clinical education: A phenomenological study. J Med Educ Dev 2013;8(1):2-13. [In Persian]
- Heydari M, Shahbazi S, Sheikhi R, Heydari K. Clinical education problems of nursing students in clinical settings. Iran J Health Care 2011;13(1):18-23. [In Persian]
- Knox JE, Mogan J. Important clinical teacher behaviours as perceived by university nursing faculty, students and graduates. J Adv Nurs 1985;10(1):25-30.
- Salmani N, Amirian H. Comparison between nursing students and trainers viewpoints about clinical education environment in Islamic Azad university of Yazd, in the year 2006. Strides Dev Med Educ 2006;3(1):1118. [In Persian]
- Pazandeh F, Abedian K, Jannesari S, AlaviMajd H. Assessment of charactristics of effective clinical educator for nursing and midwifery students point of view. J Nurs Midwifery Shahid Beheshti Univ Med Sci 2007;16(55): 46-54. [In Persian]
- Makarem S, Dumit NY, Adra M, Kassak K. Teaching effectiveness and learning outcomes of baccalaureate nursing students in a critical care practicum: a lebanese experience. Nursing Outlook 2001;49(1):439.
- Kube ML. The relationship of nursing faculty clinical teaching behaviors to student learning. Washington: ProQuest LLC; 2010.
- Ali WG. Caring and effective teaching behavior of clinical nursing instructors in clinical area as perceived by their students. J Educ Pract 2012;3(7):15-26.
- Lee WS, Cholowski K, Williams AK. Nursing students' and clinical educators' perceptions of characteristics of effective clinical educators in an Australian university school of nursing. 2002;39(5):412-20. J Adv Nurs
- Moridi G, Khaledi S. Facilitating and Inhibiting Factors in Clinical Education from Internship Nursing Students Perspective in Nursing and Midwifery Faculty of Sanandaj 2011. J Kurdistan Univ Med Sci 2012;1(1): 1-10. [In Persian]
- Heshmati Nabavi F, Vanaki Z. Effective clinical instructor: a qualitative study. Iran J Nurs Res 2009;4(13):39-53.
- Moattari M, Moghaddasi M, Mousavi Nasab M, Razavieh A. The effect of clinical education workshop on nursing and midwifery instructors’ effective behaviors in clinical education. Iran J Med Educ 2006; 6(2): 97-105. [In Persian]
- Alavi M, Abedi H-A. Nursing students' experiences and perceptions of effective instructor in clinical education. Iran J Med Educ 2008;7(2):325-33. [In Persian]
- Alavi A, Parvin N. The View Point of Nursing and Midwifery Students About Characteristics of Effective Clinical Instructors. Sci J Hamdan Univ Med Sci 2008;15(1):44-9. [In Persian]
- Okoronkwo IL, Onyia-pat JL, Agbo MAE, Okpala PU, Ndu AC. Students’ perception of effective clinical teaching and teacher behaviour. Open J Nurs 2013; 3(1):63-70.