Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Nursing, Lecturer, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran
Background & Objective: Anxiety is a feeling of apprehension caused by the feeling of being at risk and can affect the performance of an individual Today exam anxiety is increasingly observed among educated people and this situation causes a loss of concentration Faith increases confidence and patience and strength to deal with problems The aim of this study was to assess the effect of recitation of the Quran on exam anxiety in nursing and emergency medicine students Methods: This was a quasiexperimental study performed on nursing and emergency medicine students of Borujen School of Medical Emergency Nursing Iran The purposive sampling method was used in the present study and all students participated in this study The courses presented during one semester for each field of study were randomly divided into two groups An audio of Maryam Surah verses 1 to 26 were played for one group before the midterm exams and the other group before the end of term exams for 5 minutes Data collection was performed using a demographic questionnaire and Spielbergers StateTrait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) before all exams Data analysis was performed using descriptive and analytic statistics (such as independent ttest and paired ttest) in SPSS software Results: The results of this study showed that the mean levels of apparent anxiety in nursing students during exams without Quran recitation was 4873 ± 1352 and during exams with Quran recitation was 4472 ± 1526 The average level of hidden anxiety during exams without Quran recitation was 4333 ± 961 and in exams with Quran recitation was 4136 ± 1199 A statistically significant difference was observed among these averages (P < 005) The mean levels of apparent anxiety in emergency medicine students during exams without Quran recitation was 41 ± 1298 and during exams with Quran recitation was 3911 ± 1182 The average level of hidden anxiety during exams without Quran recitation was 4133 ± 878 and during exams with Quran recitation was 3846 ± 1101 A statistically significant difference was observed among these averages (P < 005) Conclusion: The results showed that the sound of the Quran before exams can reduce students anxiety levels Therefore it is recommended that managers and policy makers consider the results of this study and play audios of the Quran before exams in order to reduce stress but also take steps to promote familiarity with the Quran
- Latas M, Pantić M, Obradović D. Analysis of test anxiety in medical students. Med Pregl. 2010; 63(11): 863-6.
- Sadok BJ, Sadok VA. (Translation). Synopsis of Psychiatry: Behavioral Sciences, Clinical Psychiatry. Rezai F. Tehran: Arjomand Publication; 2008: 1,150. [In Persian]
- Baldwin DR, Chambliss LN, Towler K. Optimism and stress: An African-American college student perspective. College Student J. 2003; 37(9): 276-85.
- Peleg-Popko O. Differentiation and test anxiety in adolescents. J Adolesc. 2004; 27(6): 645-62.
- Rykov MH. Experiencing Music Therapy Cancer Support. J Health Psychol. 2008; 13(2): 190-200.
- Heravi Karimoei M, Jadid Milani M. The effects of relaxation exercises on test anxiety levels of students. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2004; 14(43): 86-91. [In Persian]
- Edelman M, Ficorelli C. A measure of success: nursing students and test anxiety. J Nurses Staff Dev. 2005; 21(2): 55-9.
- Sreeramareddy CT, Shankar PR, Binu VS, Mukhopadhyay C, Ray B, Menezes RG. Psychological morbidity, sources of stress and coping strategies among undergraduate medical students of Nepal. BMC Med Educ. 2007; 7(2): 26-30.
- Jing HE. Analysis on the Relationship among test Anxiety, self-concept and academic competency. US-China Foreign Language. 2007; 5(1): 48-51.
- Javadi M. Study of comparative religion and health in Iran. Proceedings of the 1st National Congress of Science and Health; 2007 Nov 6-7; Tehran, Iran; 2007: 58-59. [In Persian]
- Khatuni A. (dissertation). Effect of Holy Quran recitation on anxiety in cardiac patients in the Intensive Care Unit. Tehran: School of Nursing and Midwifery Tehran University of Medical Sciences; 2002. [In Persian]
- Dadsetan P. Psychological illness transition from childhood to adulthood. 1st ed. Tehran: Samt Publication; 2005. [In Persian]
- Bokhara J. The report of promotion in collecting holy Quran sentences that related to recent mental health principles. Tehran: Tehran University of Medical Science; 2005. [In Persian]
- Marefat MH. Rhythm in Quran. Mirase Javidan. 2004; 1: 10-21. [In Persian]
- Mirbagher Ajorpaz N, Ranjbar N. Quran reciting effect on maternal anxiety levels before the operation. Qom Univ Med Sci J. 2010; 4(1): 15-9. [In Persian]
- Nikbakht A, Taghavi T, Mahmoodi M, Taghlili F. The effect of Benson relaxation methods and frequency recommended requirements on anxiety of patients before abdominal surgery. J Nursing and Midwifery of Tehran Univ Med Sci. 2004; 23: 29-37. [In Persian]
- Shiroudi M. The impact of reducing anxiety Quran recitation. The Qur'an and anecdotes J. 2004; 83(5): 192-4. [In Persian]
- Tabatabai M. Tafsire Almizan. Qom: Academic Foundation-Intellectual Tabatabai; 1984: 4. [In Persian]
- Poor Dehkordi H, Jafari A, Solati SK. Comparison of relaxation and Quran tone, God mention effect on anxiety among nursing students in entering to training in ShahreKord Medical Sciences University. Tebo Tazkieh. 2008; 16(3): 70-71. [In Persian]
- Kazemi M, Ansari A, Tavakoli M, Karimi S. Quranimpactonmental health students nursing of Rafsanjan Medical University. J Rafsanjan Univ Med Sci. 2010; 3(1):9-15. [In Persian]
- Nourzad F, Myrnasam M, Ghabari B, Hashemi T. Relatedcomponents ofreligiousdocuments withtest anxiety of universitystudentsof Tabriz. Psychol Sci. 2009; 11(5): 11-6. [In Persian]
- Galedar M. The effects of Quran on anxiety Quran learning and. J Holy Quran. 2010; 2(4): 45-51. [In Persian]
- Shamsi M, Bayati A, Jahani F, Farhangnia L. The efect of Holy Quran recitation on perceived stres ArakUniversity among personel of of Medical Sciences. Daneshvar Med. 2011; 19(95):1-1. [In Persian]
- Ildarabadi E. Effect of Quran sound on rate of worry of Open heart Surgery patients. J Sabzevar Univ Med Sci. 2003; 1: 52-8. [In Persian]
- Ansari Jaberi A, Negahban Bonabi T, Sayadi Anari AR, Agha Mohamad Hasani P. The Effect of the Koran Reciting on the depressed patients in psychiatry department of moradi hospital in Rafsanjan. J Kurdestan Univ Med Sci. 2005; 36(10): 42-8. [In Persian]
- Heidari M, Shahbazi S. Effect of Quran and music on anxiety in patients during endoscopy. Knowledge Health. 2013; 8(2): 67-70. [In Persian]
- Mahram B. (dissertation). Validity of Spielberger state-trait anxiety inventory (STAI) in Mashhad city. Tehran: Allameh Tabatabaei University; 1993. [In Persian]