Document Type : Original Article
Graduate Student in Health Education and Promotion, Health Promotion Research Center, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Ph.D. in Health Education and Health Promotion, Associate Professor, Department of Health Education and Health, Promotion School of Medical Sciences, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. in Health Education and Promotion, Assistant Professor, Department of Health Education and Promotion AND Health Promotion Research Center, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Ph.D. in Biostatistics, Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology AND Health Promotion Research Center, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, Professor, Department of Clinical Psychology AND Children's Health Research Center, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Background & Objective: The phenomenon of occupational stress is an inevitable part of professional life that has negative effects on different areas of life The purpose of this research was to identify the effects of PRECEDE modelbased training on reduction of nurses occupational stress Methods: The present study was a quasiexperimental study on nurses First subjects with a medium to high stress level were chosen Then the nurses of Iran and KhatamOlAnbia hospitals Tehran Iran were randomly assigned as intervention (n = 40) and control (n = 41) groups Data gathering tools included the Nursing Stress Scale (NSS) to determine nurses occupational stress and PRECEDE Model Structures Questionnaire to provide educational intervention Training was carried out in two 4hour sessions in two consecutive days Subjects were monitored for 3 months Statistical analysis was performed before and 1 month and 3 months after training using SPSS software Descriptive statistical tests independent ttest repeated measures oneway ANOVA and Pearson correlation were used Results: Mean NSS score of the intervention group reduced from 11280 ± 1746 to 9315 ± 2879 after the training Moreover after training the variables of reinforcement enabler and manner showed a significant increase in the intervention group compared to the control group (P < 005) Conclusion: Results showed that the PRECEDE model for stress management education was effective in the reduction of nurses stress level
- Navidian A, Masoudi Gh R, Mousavi S. Work-related Stress and the General Health of Nursing Staffs in Zahedans’ Hospitals Emergency Wards(2004). J Kermanshah Univ Med Sci. 2003;9(3):17-26. [In Persian].
- Rahimi A, Ahmadi F, Akhond MR. An investigation of amount and factors affecting nurses’ job stress in some hospitals in Tehran. J Hayat. 2003; 10(3):13-22. [In Persian]
- Robbins S. organizational behavior. 8th ed. New Jersey: Prentice Hall; 1997.
- PeimanPak F, Mansur L, Sadeghi M, Purebraham T. The relationship of job stress with marital satisfaction and mental health in nurses of Tehran Hospitals. Quarterly J Career Organizational Counseling. 2012;4(13):27-54. [In Persian]
- Gaieeni M, Karimloo M, Falahi M, Rahgooy A. The survey Effect of stress on nurses' stress inoculation procedures. J Rehabilitation. 2005;7(2):61-5. [In Persian]
- Khaghanizadeh M, SyratiNir M, Abdi F, Kaviani H. Review the level of mental health nurses working in hospital affiliated to Tehran University of Medical Sciences. J Mental Health Principles. 2006; 8 (31): 141-8.
- Ingersoll GL, Olsan T, Drew-Cates J, DeVinney BC, Davies J. Nurses' job satisfaction, organizational commitment, and career intent. J Nurs Adm. 2002;32(5):250-63.
- Reineck C, Furino A. Nursing career fulfillment: statistics and statements from registered nurses. Nursing Econ. 2004;23(1):25-30, 3.
- Sheikhi MR, Sareechloo ME, Javadi A, Moradi M. Effect of nurses empowerment on coping with job stresses. J Qazvin Univ Med Sci. 2009;12(4):38-42. [In Persian].
- Attar Parsaie A, Mohamadi SH. Astudy on burnout in emergency wards nurses. J fundamentals of Mental 1999;1(2):80-5. [In Persian] Health.
- Murray R. Managing your stressA guide for nurses. London: Royal College of Nursing; 2005: 2.
- Hazavehei SM, Sabzmakan L, Hassanzadeh A, Rabiei K. The effect of PRECEDE Model-based educational program on depression level in patients with coronary artery bypass grafting. J Qazvin Univ Med Sci. 2008;12(2): 32-40. [In Persian]
- Orooji MA, Bayat A, Charkazi A, Javaheri J. T Survey on Effect of Health Education Intervention on Reduction of Brucellosis Incidence in Rural Areas of Khomein Based on PRECED Framework. J Health. 2013;3(2):50-8. [In Persian]
- Hazavehi MM, Orouji MA, Charkazi A, Hassanzadeh A. The effect of health education intervention based on PRECEDE framework on modification of vegetable oils consumption habits in families under the cover of health centers in Mani Shahr of Khomein. Arak Med Univ J. 2011;13(4):13342. [In Persian]
- Shakouri S, Sharifirad GhR, Golshiri P, Hassanzadeh A, Shakouri M. T Effect of health education program base on PRECEDE Model in controlling iron-deficiency anemia among high school girl students in Talesh. Arak Med Univ J. 2009;12(3):47-56. [In Persian].
- Afkari ME, Solhi M, Matin H, Hoseini F, Mansoorian M. The efficiency of educational intervention based on PRECEDE educational method in the promotion of life quality of the aged under the coverage of Tehran Cultural House of Aged People 2009. Iran J Ageing. 2011;5(4):37-45. [In Persian]
- Hajizade H, Meshki M. Application of PRECEDE Model-based educational partnership program designed to promote self-esteem and mental health of students. Journal of Medical Sciences, Hormozgan. 2010;14:1-2.
- Alteneder RR, Price JH, Telljohann SK, Didion J, Locher A. Using the PRECEDE model to determine junior high school students' knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs about AIDS. J Sch Health. 1992;62(10):46470.
- Rubinson L, Baillie L. P Planning school based sexuality programs utilizing the PRECEDE model. J Sch Health. 1981;51(4):282-7.
- Dehdari T, Heidarnia AR, Ramezankhani A, Sadeghian S, Ghofranipour F, Etemad S. Planning and evaluation of an educational intervention programme to improve life quality in patients after coronary artery bypass graft-surgery according to PRECEDE-PROCEED model. J Birjand Univ Med Sci. 2009; 15(4): 27-37. [In Persian]
- Joshi DD, Poudyal PM, Jimba M, Mishra PN, Neave LA, Maharjan M. Controlling Taenia solium in Nepal using the PRECEDEPROCEED model. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2001;32 Suppl 2:94-7.
- Hazaveei MM, Hosaini Z, Moeini B, Moghimbeigi A, Hamidi Y. Assessing Stress Level and Stress Management Among Hamadan Hospital Nurses Based on PRECEDE Model. Horizon Med Sci. 2012;18(2):78-85. [In Persian]
- Nazari M, Heydarnia AR, Eftekhar Ardebili H, Mobaasheri M, Amin Shokravi F, Niknami Sh, et al. Interventions Based on PRECEDE-PROCEED for Promoting Safety Behaviors in Primary School Boys. J Armaghan Danesh. 2008;13(2):63-93. [In Persian]
- Nadrian H, Tol A, Shojaeizadeh D, Khalili Z, Hossaini M, Aghamiri Z. Development an educational program in order to promote Skin Cancer Preventive behaviors using PRECEDE Model among students in Tehran City. J Health System Res. 2014; 9(9): 97992. [In Persian]
- Mohebbi S, Shahsiah M, Moshki M, Delshad A, Matlabi M. The effect of teaching courageousness based on PRECEDE model on the assertiveness of high school adolescents in Gonabad. J Res Health. 2011;1(1): 45-53. [In Persian]
- Shapiro SL, Shapiro DE, Schwartz GE. Stress Management in Medical Education: A Review of the Literature. Acad Med. 2000; 75(7):748-59.
- Zigheymat F, Naderi Z, Ebadi A, Kachuei H, Mehdizade S, Ameli J, et al. Effect of education based on "precede-proceed" model on knowledge, attitude and behavior of epilepsy patients. J Behav Sci. 2009; 3(3): 223-9. [In Persian]
- Polcyn MM, Price JH, Jurs SG, Roberts SM. Utility of the PRECEDE model in differentiating users smokeless tobacco. 1991;61(4):166-71. and J nonusers of Sch Health.
- SHarifyrad G, Heidarnia A, dalimiasl A, GHofranipoor F. The impact of health education on reduces intestinal parasitic diseases in Ilam asked model. Iran J Med Sci. 2002; 9(4):75-80.
- Baghianimoghadam MH, Nadrian H, Rahaei Z. Effect of training on the use of formula and bottle-feeding behaviors in nursing mothers based on PRECEDE. Iran J Pediatrics. 2009; 19(4):359-66.
- Hosseini Z, Hazavehei MM, Imanzad M, Ghanbarnezhad A, Gharlipour Z. Occupational Stress and Mental Health Relationship in Nurses. J Shahid Beheshti Sch Nurs Midwifery. 2014; 23(82): 55-62. [In Persian]
- Afkari EM, Solhi M, Matin H, Hoseini F, Mansoorian M. The efficiency of educational intervention based on PRECEDE educational method in the promotion of life quality of the aged under the coverage of Tehran Cultural House of Aged People 2009. Iran J Aging. 2010;5(4):37-45. [In Persian]
- Deren S, Kang SY, Rapkin B, Robles RR, Andia JF, Colón HM. The utility of the PRECEDE model in predicting HIV risk behaviors among Puerto Rican injection drug users. AIDS Behav. 2003;7(4):405-12.
- Aboumatar H, Ristaino P, Davis RO, Thompson CB, Maragakis L, Cosgrove S,, et al. Infection prevention promotion program based on the PRECEDE model: improving hand hygiene behaviors among healthcare personnel. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33(2):144-51.
- Chiang LC, Huang JL, Yeh KW, Lu CM. Effects of a self-management asthma educational program in Taiwan based on PRECEDE-PROCEED model for parents with asthmatic 2004;41(2):205-15.
- Morowatisharifabad Salehabadi HS, children. J Asthma. MA, Nadrian H, Mahmoodabad SM, Asgarshahi M. The relationship between predisposing factors and self-care behaviors among patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Hayat. 2009; 15(3): 39-51. [In Persian]
- Zendetalab HR. The effect of a program designed based on PRECEDE-PROCEED model on adolescents’ mental health and their parents’ participation. J Evidence Based Care. 2012;2(2):45-54. [In Persian]
- Sanaeinasab H, Saffari M, Amini N, Eftekhar Ardebili H, Mahmoudi M. Evaluation of an educational intervention based on PRECEDE PROCEED model toward lifestyle improvement among adolescents. Shahed J System. 2009; 16(82): 37-44. [In Persian]
- Arjmand NA, Kashaninia Z, Hosseini MA, Rezasoltani P. Effect of stress management on job stress and work-family conflict among nurses.Hayat. 2012;18(4):81-91. [In Persian]
- Healy CM, McKay MF. Nursing stress: the effects of coping strategies and job satisfaction in a sample of Australian nurses. J Adv Nurs. 2000;31(3):681-8.
- ShahAbadi SH, Kharamin SHA, Firozi MR, HoosiniMotlagh SA, Malekzadeh M. Determination of the Effect of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy on Stress among Nurses at Yasuj Shahid Beheshti Hospital in 2009. Armaghan-e-Danesh. 2009;14(4): 580-64. [In Persian]
- Rasooli P, KHanke H, Fallahi M, Rahgozar M. Effect of Time Management Training on Work-Family Conflict among Hospital Nurses. Hayat. 2009;15(3):5-11. [In Persian]
- SHirbim Z, Soodani M, SHafiabadi A. Efficacy of Stress Management Skills Training on Physical Symptoms and Anxiety. J Women's Studies Sociological & Psychological. 2009; 7(3):139-63. [In Persian]
- Lees S, Ellis N. The design of a stressmanagement programme for nursing personnel. J Adv Nurs. 1990;15(8):946-61.
- Taylor MW. (Dissertation). Effects of initial stress level, social support, and participation in an exercise or music condition on the post treatment stress, depression, and anxiety of nurses. New York: University;1991: 656.
- Russler ST. John's MF. Multidimensional stress management in nursing education. J Nurs Educ. 1991; 30(8):341-6.
- Mazloom R, Darban F, Vagheei S, Modares M, Kashani M. The effect of Stress Inoculation Program (SIP) on nurses’ Perceived stress in psychiatric wards. Evidence-based care. 2012;2(1): 35-44. [In Persian]