Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. Student in Rehabilitation Management, University of Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Pediatrician, Professor, Department of Rehabilitation Management, University of Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. Student in Health Services Management, Lecturer, Department of Rehabilitation Management, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Biostatistics, Associated Professor, Department Of Biostatistics, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. Student in Health Information Management, School of Allied Medical Sciences, Tehran University of Medical Science, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: Clinical education courses are recognized as the heart of professional education because more than 50% of students time is spent in clinical environments Therefore qualifying in clinical skills requires an effective clinical learning environment Thus clinical education can be enriched through the consideration of clinical educators and students perspectives The aim of this study was to compare the viewpoints of clinical educators and students of the University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences Tehran Iran toward the clinical education status of rehabilitation disciplines Methods: This study was a crosssectional study Based on the inclusion criteria and using convenience sampling method 54 clinical educators and 178 students were chosen from among clinical educators and students of orthopedics physiotherapy occupational therapy and speech therapy disciplines The participants completed valid and reliable clinical education questionnaires in the field of rehabilitation Results: A statistical difference was observed between clinical educators and students viewpoints in the area of “clinical learners” With regard to the academic degrees of clinical educators there was a statistically significant difference in the “evaluation area” With regard to the gender of clinical educators differences were observed in the area of “clinical learners” According to students academic disciplines with the exception of the field of “management” statistical differences were observed in other areas Conclusion: Clinical education courses in Rehabilitation Sciences must provide an effective clinical learning setting Moreover reviewing of management and evaluation of clinical education through appropriate evaluation criteria in order to improve the clinical education status is necessary
- Nasiriani K, Farnia F, Salimi T, Shahbazi L, Motavasselian M. Nursing graduates’ self-assessment of their clinical skills acquired in medical-surgical wards. Iran J Med Educ. 2006;6(1):93-100. [In Persian]
- Azizi F. Medical Education: Mission, Vision and Challenges. Tehran: Ministry of Health and Medical Education; 2003.
- Shokuh F, Mahbobi M, Safa AH, Asghari N, Zare Sh. Medical student`s views about assessment of methods used in clinical clerkship in medical school of Hormozgan Medical University in 2003. J Hormozgan Univ Med Sci. 2005; 10(2): 185-90. [In Persian]
- Ghazanfari Z, Foruzi M, Khosravi F. The opinions of graduated students of medicine on the amount of compatibility existing between the programs of clinical education and their occupation needs in Kerman. J Babol Univ Med Sci. 2010; 12(5): 52-9. [In Persian]
- Salehi S, Hassan Zahrayi R, Ghazavi Z, Amini P, Ziaei S. The characteristics of effective clinical teachers as perceived by nursing faculty and students. Iran J Med Educ. 2004;4(1):37-44. [In Persian]
- Davies C, Welham V, Glover A, Jones L, Murphy F. Teaching in practice. Nurs Stand. 1999;13(35):33-8.
- Adhami A, Fasihi Harandi T, Fatahi Z, Jalili Z, Mohammad AlizadeH S. The attitudes of Kerman University of Medical Sciences Interns toward the adequacy of received trainings in achieving the approved educational goals in obstetrics & gynecology ward. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2005; 2(2): 95-101. [In Persian]
- Rouzbahani1 F, Sheykhtaheri A, Farzandipour M, Rangraz Jeddi F, Mobarak Ghamsari Z. Evaluation of training educators performance from points of views of medical record students in Kashan University of Medical Sciences, Iran. 2010; Health Info Management. 2010;8(2):251-7. [In Persian]
- Hasanzahraei R, Atash Sokhan G, Salehi Shayesteh Es, Hasanzadeh A. Comparing the factors related to the effective clinical teaching from faculty members' and students' points of view. Iran J Med Educ. 2008; 7(2): 249-56. [In Persian]
- Jamaiah I. Review of research in learning environment. J Univ Malaya Med Centre. 2008;11(1):7-11.
- Seyyedi Iraj S A, Abdi K, Roshanak V. (dissertation). Designing a tool for situational assessment of clinical education in rehabilitation courses. Tehran: Univ of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sci; 2012. [In Persian]
- Mohammadi F, Hosseini M. Rehabilitation Sciences Students' Perception from Clinical Self-Efficacy Compared to Evaluation by Clinical Teachers. Iran J Med Educ. 2010;10(2):155-63. [In Persian]
- Siavash Vahabi Y, Ebadi A, Rahmani R, Tavallaei A, Khatouni A. R, Tadrisi S. D, et al. Comparison of the status of clinical education in the views of nursing educators and students. Educ Strategies Med Sci. 2011; 3(4): 179-82. [In Persian]
- Salmani N, Amirian H. Comparison between nursing students and trainers viewpoints about clinical education environment in Islamic Azad University of Yazd, in the year 2006. J Strides Development Med Educ. 2006; 3(1): 11-8. [In Persian]
- Taheri Ar, Forghani S, Atapour S, Hassanzadeh A. The effective clinical teaching from faculty members'and rehabilitation students'point of view. Iran J Med Educ. 2012; 11(9): 1131-9. [In Persian].
- Adibi I, Abedi Z, Memarzadeh M, Adibi P. Early clinical encounter: report of an intervention. Iran J Med Educ. 2002;2(1):3-10. [In Persian]
- Cox SS, Marler LE, Simmering MJ, Totten JW. Giving feedback: Development of scales for the mum effect, discomfort giving feedback, and feedback medium preference. Performance Improvement 2011;23(4):49-69. Quarterly.
- Brady KL, Eisler RM. Sex and gender in the college classroom: A quantitative analysis of faculty–student interactions and perceptions. J Educ Psychol. 1999;91(1):127.
- Kamran A, Sharghi A, Malekpour A, Biria M, Dadkhah B. Status and strategies for improving nursing education in view of nursing students in Ardebil University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Nursing Res. 2012; 7 (27) :25-31. [In Persian]
- Al-Marshad S, Alotaibi G. Evaluation of clinical educational environment at king fahad hospital of dammam university using the Postgraduate Hospital Education Environment Measure (PHEEM) Inventory. Educ Med J. 2011;3(2).