Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. of Endodontics, Associate Professor, Endodontology Center, School of Dentistry, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Dentist, School of Dentistry, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Oral Pathology, Associate Professor, Dental and Oral Diseases Research Center, School of Dentistry, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Prosthodontics, Assistant Professor, Dental and Oral Diseases Research Center, School of Dentistry, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: Dentistry has been widely acknowledged as being associated with high levels of stress This stress originates in the process of dental education The aim of the present study was to evaluate dental environment stress (DES) in students of the School of Dentistry of Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: This crosssectional study was conducted on 165 students Data were collected using the Dental Environment Stress Questionnaire (consisting of 32 items in 6 scales) and demographic information questionnaire Data were analyzed in SPSS software using ttest and ANOVA Pvalue was considered at 5% Results: Of the 165 respondents 533% were women and 782% were single Their mean age was 2363 ± 294 years and mean score was 1605 ± 110 The mean of DES score was 8260 ± 1453 out of a total of 128 In academic factors fear of exam and failure of the course were the most important stressors There was a statistically significant association between mean DES score and gender There was no statistically significant association between mean DES score and marriage status student`s work and priority of field selection Conclusion: The results of the present study were similar to that of previous studies They showed the existence of DES Academic factors were one of the most important stressors
- Divaris K, Barlow PJ, Chendea SA, Cheong WS, Dounis A, Dragan IF, et al. The academic environment: The students' perspective. Eur J Dent Educ. 2008; 12(Suppl 1):120-30.
- Montero-Marin J, PivaDemarzo MM, Pereira JP, Olea M, Garcı´a-Campayo J. Reassessment of the Psychometric Characteristics and Factor Structure of the ‘Perceived Stress Questionnaire’ (PSQ): Analysis in a Sample of Dental Students. PLoS One. 2014; 9(1): e87071.
- Tangade PS, Mathur A, Gupta R, Chaudhary S. Assessment of Stress Level among Dental School Students: An Indian Outlook. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2011; 8(2): 95–101.
- Alzahem AM1, van der Molen HT, Alaujan AH, Schmidt HG, Zamakhshary MH. Stress amongst dental students: a systematic review. Eur J Dent Educ. 2011; 15(1):8-18.
- Elani HW, Allison PJ, Kumar RA, Mancini L, Lambrou A, Bedos C. A systematic review of stress in dental students. J Dent Educ. 2014; 78(2):226-42.
- Acharya S. Factors affecting stress among Indian dental students. J Dent Educ. 2003; 67(10):1140-8.
- Polychronopoulou A, Divaris K. A longitudinal study of Greek dental students’ perceived sources of stress. J Dent Educ. 2010; 74(5): 524-30.
- Harikiran AG, Srinagesh J, Nagesh KS, Sajudeen N. Perceived sources of stress amongst final year dental under graduate students in a dental teaching institution at Bangalore, India: a cross sectional study. Indian J Dent Res. 2012; 23(3):331-6.
- Pop-Jordanova N, Radojkova-Nikolovska V, Markovska-Simoska S. Perceived stress in dental practice. Prilozi. 2013; 34(2):135-41.
- Divaris K1, Polychronopoulou A, VillaTorres L, Mafla AC, Moya GA, GonzálezMartínez F, et al. Extracurricular factors influence perceived stress in a large cohort of Colombian dental students. J Dent Educ. 2014; 78(2):213-25.
- Gambetta-Tessini K, Mariño R, Morgan M, Evans W, Anderson V. Stress and healthpromoting attributes in Australian, New Zealand, and Chilean dental students. J Dent Educ. 2013; 77(6):801-9.
- Sedky NA. Perceived Sources of Stress among Junior & Mid-Senior Egyptian Dental Students. Int J Health Sci (Qassim). 2012; 6(2):141-57.
- Uraz A, Tocak YS, Yozgatligil C, Cetiner S, Bal B. Psychological well-being, health, and stress sources in Turkish dental students. J Dent Educ. 2013; 77(10):1345-55.
- Kumar S, Dagli RJ, Mathur A, Jain M, Prabu D, Kulkarni S. Perceived sources of stress amongst Indian dental students. Eur J Dent Educ. 2009; 13(1):39-45.
- Al-Sowygh ZH. Academic distress, perceived stress and coping strategies among dental students in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Dent J. 2013; 25(3):97-105.
- Dalband M, FarhadiNasab A. Evaluation of stress-inducing factors of educational environment in Hamadan Dentistry School’s Students. J Hamdan Univ Med Sci. 2007; 13(4): 48-52. [In Persian]
- Kazemizadeh Z, Bakhshi H. Dental environment stress and students' personality in Rafsanjan Dentistry School. Iran J Med Educ. 2011; 11(5): 467-77. [In Persian]
- Ramazani N, NazariA. Dental environmental stress among clinical dentistry students in Zahedan School of Dentistry. Iran J Med Educ. 2013; 13(9): 753-65. [In Persian]
- Manolova MS, Stefanova VP, Panayotov IV, Romieu G, Belcheva AB, Markova KB, et al. Perceived sources of stress in fifth year dental students--a comparative study. Folia Med (Plovdiv). 2012; 54(2):52-9.
- Fonseca J, Divaris K, Villalba S, Pizarro S, Fernandez M, Codjambassis A, et al. Perceived sources of stress amongst Chilean and Argentinean dental students. Eur J Dent Educ. 2013; 17(1):30-8.
- Waghachavare VB, Dhumale GB, Kadam YR, Gore AD. A Study of Stress among Students of Professional Colleges from an Urban area in India. Sultan Qaboos University Med J 2013; 13(3: 429-436 Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2013; 13(3):429-36.
- Morse Z, Dravo U. Stress levels of dental students at the Fiji School of Medicine. Eur J Dent Educ. 2007; 11(2):99-103.
- Polychronopoulou A, Divaris K. Dental students’ perceived sources of stress: a multicountry study. J Dent Educ. 2009; 73(5): 631-9.
- Sugiura G, Shinada K, Kawaguchi Y. Psychological well-being and perceptions of stress amongst Japanese dental students. Eur J Dent Educ. 2005; 9(1): 17-25.
- Peker I, Alkurt MT, Usta MG, TurkbayT. The evaluation of perceived sources of stress and stress levels among Turkish dental students. Int Dent J. 2009; 59(2):103-11.
- Polychronopoulou A, Divaris K. Perceived sources of stress among Greek dental students. J Dent Educ. 2005; 69(6):687-92.
- Al-Saleh SA, Al-Madi EM, Al-Angari NS, Al-Shehri HA, Shukri MM. Survey of perceived stress-inducing problems among dental students, Saudi Arabia. Saudi Dent J. 2010; 22(2):83-8.
- Muirhead V, Locker D. Canadian dental students' perceptions of stress and social support. Eur J Dent Educ. 2008; 12(3): 144- 8.
- Humphris G, Blinkhorn A, Freeman R, Gorter R, Hoad-Reddick G, Murtomaa H, et al. Psychological stress in undergraduate dental students: baseline results from seven European dental schools. Eur J Dent Educ. 2002; 6(1):22-9.