Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. in Curriculum Planning, Associate Professor, Department of Management and Educational Planning, School of Educational Sciences and Psychology, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Ph.D. Student in Curriculum Planning, Department of Management and Educational Planning, School of Educational Sciences and Psychology, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Specialist in Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Jahrom University of Medical Sciences, Jahrom, Iran
Background & Objective: Students love of learning and need for learning lead to adopting of strategies which are the grounds for innovation especially at a global level Therefore the implementation of effective methods and strategies to create motivation and interest in learning in students seems essential The main purpose of this study was to study the relationship between medical students love of learning need for learning and passion for searching and global innovation Methods: This correlational descriptive study was carried out on students of Jahrom University of Medical Sciences Iran during the 20142015 academic years From among 338 students 200 students (86 men and 114 women) were selected through random sampling method and using the Cochran formula The data collection tools consisted of McFarlanes Love of Learning Questionnaire Mowen Lifelong Learning Questionnaire the Sensation Seeking Scale and Hurts Global Innovation Questionnaire Data were analyzed using the Pearson correlation coefficient and linear regression in SPSS software Results: The findings indicated that love of learning and need for learning were significant positive predictors of students global innovation (R2 = 044 P < 0001) and passion for searching (R2 = 027 P < 0001) The passion for searching was a direct positive and significant predictor of students global innovation (R2 = 037 P < 0001) The mediator variable of passion for searching had a key position in the relationship of love for learning and need for learning with students global innovation Conclusion: Based on the relationship between exogenous mediator and endogenous variables it seems that the love for learning is considered to be strength In addition through perseverance individuals will win various merits Thus universities should create the grounds for students innovation by providing the necessary conditions for the flourishing of talent and creating of interest and love of learning through the passion for searching
- Smorti M. Sensation seeking and self-efficacy effect on adolescent's risky driving and substance abuse. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2014; 140: 638- 42.
- Peterson C, Seligman MEP. Character strengths and virtues: A handbook and classification. New York: Oxford University Press; 2004.
- Shipton H, Dawson J, West M, Patterson M. Learning in manufacturing organizations: what factors predict effectiveness?. Human Resource Development International. 2002; 5(1): 55- 72.
- Lee H, Kim Y. Korean adolescents’ longitudinal change of intrinsic motivation in learning English and mathematics during secondary school years: focusing on gender difference and school characteristics. Learning and Individual Differences. 2014; 36:131–9.
- Skerlavaj M, Hoon Song J, Lee Y. Organizational learning culture, innovative culture and innovations in South Korean firms. Expert Systems with Applications. 2010; 37(9): 6390- 403.
- Field J. Lifelong learning and the new educational order. Stoke on Trent. UK: Trent ham Books; 2006.
- Doornbos AJ, Bolhuis S, Simons PRJ. Modeling work-related learning on the basis of intentionality and developmental relatedness: a non-educational perspective. Human Resource Development Review. 2004; 3 (3): 250-74.
- Rogers EM. Diffusion of innovations. New York: Free Press; 2003.
- van Woerkom M, Nijhof WJ, Nieuwenhuis LFM. Critical reflective working behavior: a survey research. J European Industrial Training. 2002; 26 (8): 375-83.
- Rabbani Z, Yousefi F. Investigating the mediatory role of goal orientation in the relationship among self-efficacy, task value and cognitive strategies. J Studies Teach Learn. 2012; 4(2): 49- 80. [In Persian]
- Pak M. The Survey of student's motivation methods to research and innovation in Qom province secondary schools. Qom Province Bulletin. 2006; 5: 12-38. [In Persian]
- Zuckerman M. Sensation seeking and risky behavior. Washington DC: American Psychological Association; 2007.
- Olson K, Camp C, Fuller D. Curiosity and need for cognition. Psychological Reports. 1984; 54(1): 71-4.
- Vallerand RJ, Pelletier LG, Blais MR, Briere NM, Senecal C, Vallieres EF. The academic motivation scale: a measure of intrinsic, extrinsic, and a motivation in education. Educ Psychol Measurement. 1992; 52(4): 1003-17.
- Smorti M, Guarnieri S. Sensation seeking, parental bond, and risky driving in adolescence: Some relationships, matter more to girls than boys. Safety Sci J. 2014; 70: 172-9.
- Kish GB, Busse W. Correlates of stimulus-seeking: age, education, intelligence, and aptitudes. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1968; 32(6):633-7.
- Martin M. Individual differences in sensation seeking and attention ability. Pers Individ Differ. 1985; 6(5): 637-9.
- Ball SA, Zuckerman M. Sensation seeking and selective attention: focused and divided attention on a dichotic listening task. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1992; 63(5):825-31.
- Smith BD, Davidson RA, Smith DL, Golstein H, Perlstein W. Sensation seeking and arousal: effects of strong stimulation on electro dermal activation and memory task performance. Pers Individ Differ. 1989; 10(6): 671-9.
- Baylor AL. Perceived disorientation and incidental learning in a web-based environment: internal and external factors. J Educ Multimedia Hypermedia. 2001; 10(3): 227-51.
- Khalaila R. The relationship between academic self-concept, intrinsic motivation, test anxiety, and academic achievement among nursing students: mediating and moderating effects. Nurse Educ Today. 2015; 35(3):432-8.
- Van der Boor P, Oliveira P, Veloso F. Users as innovators in developing countries: The global sources of innovation and diffusion in mobile banking services. J Rese Policy. 2014; 43(9): 1594- 607.
- Herstada SJ, Aslesen HW, Ebersberger B. On industrial knowledge bases, commercial opportunities and global innovation network Linkages. J Res Policy. 2014; 43(3): 495- 504.
- Feather NT. Values, valences, and course enrollment: testing the role of personal values within an expectancy-value framework. J Educ Psychol. 1988; 80 (3): 381 – 91.
- McFarlane TA. Defining and measuring the love of learning. Colorado: University of Colorado Denver; 2003: 132- 6.
- Mowen JC. The 3M model of motivation and personality: theory empirical application to consumer behavior. Massachusetts: Kluwer Academic Pub; 2000.
- Hoyle RH, Stephenson MT, Palmgreen P, Lorch EP, Donohew RL. Reliability and validity of a brief measure of sensation seeking. Pers Indivd Differ. 2002; 32(3): 401- 14.
- Hurt HT, Joseph K, Cook CD. Scales for the measurement for innovativeness. Human Communication Res. 1977; 4(1): 58-65.
- Baron RM, Kenny DA. The moderator- mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1986; 51 (6): 1173- 82.