Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. Student in Medical Education, Department of Medical Education, School of Medical Education, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. in Medical Education, Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Education, School of Medical Education, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. in Higher Education Management, Associate Professor, Department of Rehabilitation Management, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: In recent decades medical education has been expanding as part of the higher education system in the world Due to the complexities of clinical education the effect of various environmental factors on and changes in clinical environment the importance of accountability to society and patients and socially accountable medical education (SAME) challenges the exploration of faculty members perceptions about SAME challenges is necessary Thus the aim of this study was to explore faculty members perceptions on the challenges of SAME Methods: This qualitative study was conducted using qualitative content analysis in Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences Iran in 2014 Knowledge obtained through qualitative content analysis is based on the unique views of the participants and actual data of the text The participants were 8 faculty members who provided the most data on the fundamental factors effective on SAME (purposive sampling) Semistructured interviews were conducted with the participants and they were asked to describe their experiences of and views on SAME Data collection was continued until achieving data saturation Data collection and analysis were carried out simultaneously through consideration of trustworthiness Results: The main themes extracted in this study were defective education which is not communitybased lack of adequate commitment of teachers as role models lack of motivation in students and management problems and lack of resources Conclusion: The results of the present study illustrate the necessity for fundamental and comprehensive modification of training programs and improvement of their processes so that they can accommodate the communitys requirements Moreover there is need for strategies to increase motivation among teachers and students
- Maley M, Worley P, Dent J. Using Rural and Remote Setting in the Undergraduate Medical Curriculum, AMME Guide No 47. Med Teach. 2009; 31(11):969 – 83.
- Boelen C, Heck J. Defining and Measuring the Social Accountability of Medical Schools. World Health Organization: Switzerland, Geneva. 1995.
- Lameie A. Integration between Educational system and service delivery: accountable education. Orumieh: Orumieh University of Medical Science; 2010:14-21.
- Zandi Ghashghaee K, Hoseini MA, Maddah B. Survey of effective Factors in the implementation of community based medical education in the universities affiliated to the Ministry of Health and Medical Education. Armaghane-danesh. 1998; 6(4):43. [In Persian]
- Hsieh HF, Shannon SE. Three approaches to qualitative content analysis. Qual Health Res. 2005; 15(9):1277-88.
- Entezari A, Jalili Z, Mohagheghi MA, Momtazmanesh N. Challenges of Community Oriented Medical Education in Iran. Teb va Tazkieh. 2010; 19(2):52-64. [In Persian]
- Boelen C. Global consensus on social accountability of medical schools. Sante Publique. 2011; 23(3):247-50.
- Galukande M, Nakasujja N, Sewankambo NK. Social accountability: a survey of perceptions and evidence of its expression at a Sub Saharan African university. BMC Med Educ. 2012; 12: 96.
- Dehghani MR, Azizi F, Haghdoost AA, Nakhaee N, Khazaeli P, Ravangard Z. Situation analysis of social accountability medical education in university of medical sciences and innovative point of view of clinical faculty members towards its promotion using strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) Analysis Model. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2014; 10(4): 403-12. [In Persian]
- Gonnella J, Hojat M. Medical education, social accountability and patient outcomes. Med Educ. 2012; 46(1):3-4.
- Rezaee M, Almasee A. Survey of knowledge and attitudes of medical students toward community based medical education. J Kermansha Univ Med Sci. 1997; 4(1):71-8. [In Persian]