Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. in Medical Education, Associate Professor, Department of Medical Education, School of Medical Education Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. in Higher Education Management, Associate Professor, Department of Rehabilitation Management, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Assistant Professor of Neurology, Mashhad Branch, Islamic Azad University, Mashhad, Iran
Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Education, Department of Medical Education, School of Education of Medical Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran, Iran
General Practitioner, Islamic Azad University, Mashhad Branch, Mashhad, Iran
Background & Objective: Medical education is one of the most important challenges facing Iranian medical authorities Meanwhile Islamic Azad University as a nongovernmental authority for medical education has its own challenges and problems This study aimed to assess faculties perception to identify the challenges in this area to improve the achievement of educational goals and the quality of health care Methods: In this qualitative study in 2014 the conventional content analysis was done for 10 semistructured interviews with the faculty member of Islamic Azad University with experience interest and authority in medical school After implementation of interviews reviews were done several times The open coding system was used to generate initial categories for analysis Results: Analysis of data obtained from interviews with participants resulted seven themes including the public system abandoned the university despite the general acceptance ignoring students positive and negative characteristics problems of clinical faculty challenges of research area challenges in clinical education problems related to the field of interaction with the Ministry of Health and Medical Education and improving strategies Each theme consisted of several subcategories and described the specific aspects of the challenges in this area Conclusion: It is expected that the Ministry of Health and Medical Education in the Stewardship of Health and Medical Education consider the clinical education in Islamic Azad universities in terms of planning and policymaking Islamic Azad University officials also should consider strategies within the organization
- Friedman HH, Friedman LW, Pollack S. Transforming a university from a teaching organization to a learning organization. Review of Business. 2005; 26 (3): 31-5.
- Ghorchian N, Salehi M. Designing a model for institutionalizing the future in Islamic Azad universities. Research in Curriculum Planning. 2004;1(2): 1-22. [In Persian]
- Ozuah PO. Undergraduate medical education: Thoughts on future challenges. BMC Med Educ. 2002;2(1):8.
- DeAngelis CD. Professors not professing. JAMA. 2004;292(9):1060-1.
- Ashoorion V, Sharif M. Trend of recent changes in medical education curriculum in the world: the location of Iranian medical education curriculum. Iran J Med Educ. 2011; 10(4): 383-97. [In Persian]
- Pezeshkian M, Karimi A, Akbari ME, Einolahi-Hosseini J. Integration of medical education and health care. J Med Educ. 2009; 3(1): 51-5.
- Mirmoghtadaee Z, Rokhafrooz D, Salarianzadeh MH. Overview of the Challenges in Integration of Medical Education with Health Services Based on Human Capital. J Health Management. 2015; 6(2):7-15. [In Persian]
- Biglar M, Bastani P, Vatan Khah S. The challenges of stewardship in medical education system: a qualitative approach. Payavard Salamat. 2013; 7(4):299-311. [In Persian]
- Wikipedia. Islamic Azad University. [Cited 2016 Jan 3]. available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Azad_University
- Tahmoorth M. The importance of trust universities in evaluating and improving their quality. Proceedings of the First National Conference of Academic Quality Evaluation System; 2014 May 7-8; Tehran, Iran. 2014. [In Persian]
- Vahedi M, Moradnezhadi H, Sharifzadeh A, Sharifi M. Investigating entrepreneurial mentality among students of Ilam Islamic Azad University. Iran J Agricultural Economics Dev Res. 2009;40(2): 93-101. [In Persian]
- Farajpour A, Arshadi HR, Homam M, Asadi Sakhmarsi T, Mohamadi E, Sanjar Musavi N. A comparative study of self-efficacy and self-esteem among students of Islamic Azad University of Medical Sciences Mashhad Branch. Future Med Educ J. 2014; 4(1): 17-21.
- Abedi B. Job satisfaction of faculty members of Islamic Azad University of Physical Education groups. Physical Education and Sports Science. 2009; 1(1):54-9. [In Persian]
- RazaviAsl M. (dissertation). Investigate the relationship between economic- social factors and job satisfaction in government agencies and institutions in Dehdasht. Shiraz: University of Shiraz; 1997. [In Persian]
- Teymouri M, Tootoonchi M, Salehi M, Hassanzadeh A. Job satisfaction among faculty members of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2008; 7(2):227-37. [In Persian]
- Amid R, Vahbi S, Kadkhodazadeh M, Dalaie K, Mirakhori M, Saee S. Evaluation of Job satisfaction among faculty members of Shahid Beheshti Dental School: a cross sectional study in 2012. J Med Council Iran. 2013; 31(3): 224-30. [In Persian]
- Sotodeh-Asl N, Ghorbani R, Haji Aghajani S, Rashidy-Pour A. Job satisfaction and its contributing factors among faculty members of Semnanuniversity of medical sciences. Koomesh. 2013; 14(2): Pe232-Pe239. [In Persian]
- Foroughi F, Kharrazi H, Iranfar S, Rezaei M. Job Satisfaction and its Affecting Factors from the viewpoints of Faculty Members of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2008; 7(2):335-42. [In Persian]
- Ranjbar M, Vahidshahi K. Effective factors on faculty members' job satisfaction in Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, School of Medicine, 2006. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2008; 4(2): 92-9. [In Persian]
- Afshari P, Haidarpour S. Is “teaching” an obstacle to “research”?. Iran J Med Educ. 2002; 2:9. [In Persain]
- Karimian Z, Sabaghian Z, Saleh SB. An Investigation of Research and Knowledge Production Obstacles and Challenges in Medical Universities. Iran Higher Educ. 2011;3(4):35-63. [In Persian]
- Valizadeh L, Zaman Zadeh V, FathiAzar A, Safaeian A. Barriers and facilitators of research utilization among nurses working in teaching hospitals in Tabriz. Hayat. 2002; 8(2):32-42. [In Persian]
- Farmanbar R, Asgari F. Study of Constraining Factors of Research from the Viewpoint of Faculty Members in Guilan University of Medical Sciences. J Guilan Univ Med Sci. 2005; 14(54): 76-84. [In Persian]