Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. Student of Educational Administration, Zahedan Branch, Islamic Azad University, Zahedan, Iran
PhD in Educational Administration, Department of Educational Planning and Management, School of Education and Psychology, University of Sistan and Baluchestan, Zahedan, Iran
Background & Objective: Knowledge about the nature and types of learners learning styles can help teachers to adjust their teaching methods with students learning styles to achieve the desired educational outcomes This study aimed to investigate the relationship of students learning styles (based on Kolb learning Styles) and adaptive teaching method Methods: In this descriptivecorrelation study 250 students in ElmiKarbordi higher education center at Zahedan JahadeDaneshgahi Iran were selected via simple random sampling model For collecting the data the learning styles of Kolb and adaptive teaching method questionnaires were used The data were analyzed using Pearson correlation and regression analysis tests Results: The amounts of correlation coefficient of assimilating divergent accommodating convergent learning styles and adaptive teaching method were 0810 0765 0795 and 0809 respectively (P < 0001) In addition based on the regression analysis of learning styles convergent (β = 0491) and divergent (β = 0300) methods had the greatest impacts on adaptive teaching method respectively (P < 0001) Conclusion: Given the positive and meaningful correlation between the learning styles with adaptive teaching method teachers of educational centers are suggested to use adaptive teaching method based on learningbased activities assessment of learners needs engaging students in the teaching process and flexibility for personal development
- Ahadi F, Abedsaidi J, Arshadi F, Ghorbani R. Learning styles of nursing and allied health students in Semnan university of medical sciences. J Koomesh. 2010; 11(2):141-6. [In Persian]
- Kimble GA. Hilgard and Marquis' conditioning and learning. 2nd ed. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts; 1961:1-13.
- Dağ F, Geçer A. Relations between online learning and learning styles. Procedia Soc Behavl Sci. 2009; 1(1): 862-71.
- Rasoulynejad S, Rasoulynejad S. Learning styles of Paramedical students of Kashan University of Medical Sciences (2005). J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2006; 3(1): 26-32. [In Persian]
- Smith P, Dalton J. Accommodating learning styles: Relevance and good practice in VET. Adelaide, South Australia: NCVER; 2005.
- Ahmadi M, Allami A. Comparison of health workers learning styles based on vark and Kolbs’ questionnaires and their relationship with educational achievement. Res Med Educ. 2014; 6(1): 19-28. [In Persian]
- GholiZade R, Ahghar Q. Learning styles and the high school students' self-efficacy. J New Thoughts on Education. 2012; 8(3):67-87. [In Persian]
- Kolb DA, Fry R. Toward an applied theory of experiential learning. Cooper (ed.) Theories of Group Process. London: John Wiley; 1975.
- Valizadeh L, Zamanzadeh V, Fathi-Azar E. Nursing and midwifery students’ learning styles in Tabriz Medical University. Iran J Med Educ. 2006; 6(2):136-40. [In Persian]
- Troski M, Rezazadeh J, Rajabzadeh R, khakshour A, Hejazi A, hossini SH. Survey Learning Styles of North Khorasan university of medical science Students based on Kolb's Model. J North Khorasan Univ Med Sci. 2014; 6(1):81-7. [In Persian]
- Mirakzadeh AA, Ghiasvand F, Sharifzadeh AGh, Sharifi M. An Investigation of the learning styles of agricultural students of Islamic Azad University, Takestan Branch. Iran J Agricultural Economics Dev Res. 2009; 2-40(4):79-89. [In Persian]
- Moradi M, Bashokouh M. The relationship between learning styles and adaptive teaching method. J School Psychol. 2014; 3(1):101-15. [In Persian]
- Yassini Ardekani SM, Banaei Borujenei S, Mirzaei Alavijeh M, Zinat Motlagh F, Faryabi R. Learning styles and preferred teaching methods in students of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences-Yazd. J Med Educ Dev. 2013; 7(4):63-72. [In Persian]
- Darvishzade M, Sabzevari S, Garrosi B, Hassanzade A. Reviewing learning styles regarding medical students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences and providing a teaching method appropriate based on their views. J Strides Dev Med Educ2013; 10(3): 376-84. [In Persian]
- Iurea C, Neacsu I, Safta CG, Suditu M. The study of the relation between the teaching method and the learning styles -the impact upon the student’s academic conduct. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2011;11:256-60.
- El-Farargy N. The views, attitudes and learning style preferences of Higher National Chemical Engineering students. Education for Chemical Engineers. 2010; 5(4):e55-e71.
- Amir R, Jelasas ZM. Teaching and Learning Styles in Higher Education Institutions: Do They Match?. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2010; 7:680-4.
- Kazu IY. The effect of learning styles on education and the teaching process. J Soc Sci. 2009;5(2):85-94.
- Young LE, Paterson BL. Teaching nursing: Developing a student-centered learning environment. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007.
- Hamidah JS, Sarina M, Kamaruzaman J. The Social Interaction Learning Styles of Science and Social Science Students. Asian Soc Sci. 2009; 5(7):58-75.
- Rezaei K, Kohestani H, Ganjeh F, Anbari Z. Learning styles of first semester students in Arak University of Medical Sciences, 2008. Arak Med Univ J. 2010; 12(4):44-51. [In Persian]
- Kadivar P, Nemat Tavusi M, Yoosefi N. The Relationship between learning styles and selfefficacy with mathematics achievement. J Psychol Res. 2010; 2(5):107-22. [In Persian]
- Burskey CM. (dissertation). Assessment of the learning styles of students at the Eastern Caribbean Institute of Agriculture and Forestry, Centeno, Trinidad and Tobago and identification of teaching methods used by instructors. Morgantown, West Virginia: West Virginia University; 2004.
- Pazargadi M, Tahmasebi S. Learning styles and their application in nursing. Bimonthly Educ Strateg Med Sci. 2010; 3(2): 73-6. [In Persian]
- Javadinia A, Sharifzade G, Abedini M, Khalesi M, Erfaniyan M. Learning Styles of Medical Students in Birjand University of Medical Sciences According to VARK Model. Iran J Med Educ. 2012; 11(6):584-9. [In Persian]
- VJ Shute, Zapata-Rivera D Adaptive education system. In: Durlach PJ, Lesgold AM, eds. Adaptive Technologie for Training and Education New York: Cambridge University Press; 2012: 727.
- Jones V, Jo JH. Ubiquitous learning environment: An adaptive teaching system using ubiquitous technology. Proceedings of the 21st ASCILITE Conference; 2004 Dec 5-8; Perth, Australia. 2004: 468-74.
- Ismail A, Hussain RMR, Jamaluddin S. Assessment of students’ learning styles preferences in the faculty of science, Tishreen University, Syria. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2010; 2(2):4087-91.
- Opdenakker MC, Van Damme J. Teacher characteristics and teaching styles as effectiveness enhancing factors of classroom practice. Teaching and Teacher Education. 2006, 22(1):1-21.
- Safavi A. General methods and techniques of teaching. 14ed nd. Tehran: Moaser; 2008. [In Persian]
- Martin S. Teachers using learning styles: torn between research and accountability?. Teaching and Teacher Education. 2010; 26(8):1583-91.
- Monika M, ZahedBabelan AB. The role of learning styles in second language learning among distance education students. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2010; 2(2): 1169-73.
- Nasirzadeh F, Heidarzadeh A, Shirazi M, Farmanbar R, Monfared A. Assessing Learning Styles of Students in Guilan University of Medical Sciences, Res Med Educ. 2014;6(1);2838. [In Persian]