Document Type : Original Article
PhD in Nursing, Assistant Professor, Department of Nursing Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
PhD in nursing, Assistant Professor, Department of Medical-Surgical Nursing, Physiology Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: In recent years evidencebased care has been recognized as one of the essential competencies of nursing graduates Since senior nursing students are on the verge of graduating studying factors affective on the use of evidencebased care in their professional future and emphasis on educational programming to strengthen this competency are necessary This study aimed to evaluate the knowledge and performance of senior nursing students regarding evidencebased care Methods: The present descriptiveanalytical study was conducted on 43 senior nursing students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran in 2015 Data were collected using the Persian version of the Nursing Students Knowledge and Performance about EvidenceBased Practice Questionnaire Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics (percentage mean and standard deviation) and analytical statistics (Pearson correlation coefficient ANOVA) in SPSS software Results: The results indicated that the majority of students (535%) had sufficient knowledge of evidencebased care The total mean score of knowledge of the students was 1225 ± 334 while the majority of students (512%) showed poor performance The total mean score of performance of the students was 1728 ± 785 There was a direct correlation between knowledge and performance of the students (r < 056) Conclusion: There is gap between the knowledge and performance of students regarding evidencebased care; despite their sufficient knowledge on evidencebased care their performance was poor It is suggested that a suitable milieu for promoting evidencebased care is provided and theory and practice are linked through suitable planning a review of the curriculum and creating an appropriate educational environment for nursing students as future nurses
- Rice K, Hwang J, Abrefa-Gyan T, Powell K. Evidence-Based Practice Questionnaire: A confirmatory factor analysis in a social work sample. Adv Soc Work. 2010;11(2):158-73.
- Hutchinson AM, Johnston L. Bridging the divide: a survey of nurses' opinions regarding barriers to, and facilitators of, research utilization in the practice setting. J Clin Nurs. 2004;13(3):304-15.
- Madarshahian F, Hasanabadi M, Khazaii S. Impact of evidence based care on nursing included in teaching plan on the students practice. J Med Edu Dev. 2012;4(7):61-7. [In Persian]
- Mantzoukas S. A review of evidence‐based practice, nursing research and reflection: levelling the hierarchy. J Clin Nurs. 2008;17(2):214-23.
- Panagiari D. Barriers and Facilitators for implementing evidence-based practice among German nurses working in a general hospital. [cited 2008 Mar 10]. Available from: http://essay.utwente.nl/59157/1/scriptie_D_Panagiari.pdf.
- Hockenberry M, Wilson D, Barrera P. Implementing evidence-based nursing practice in a pediatric hospital. Pediatr Nurs. 2006;32(4):371-7.
- Fineout-Overholt E, Williamson KM, Gallagher-Ford L, Melnyk BM, Stillwell SB. Following the evidence: planning for sustainable change. Am J Nurs. 2011;111(1):54-60.
- Duff J, Walker K, Omari A. Translating venous thromboembolism (VTE) prevention evidence into practice: A multidisciplinary evidence implementation project. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. 2011;8(1):30-9.
- Nezamzadeh M, Mokhtari Nori J, Khademolhosseini M, Ebadi A. Quality of nursing evidence-based guidelines from the nurses’ view. Iran J Crit Care Nurs. 2011;4(1):53-8.
- Melnyk BM, Fineout-Overholt E. Evidence-based practice in nursing and healthcare. Philadelphia: Lippincott; 2005.
- Kermanshahi S, Parvinian AM. Barriers to Implementation of Evidence-Based Care: Viewpoints of Nursing Staff. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;12(2):84-92. [In Persian]
- Johnston JM, Leung GM, Fielding R, Tin KY, Ho LM. The development and validation of a knowledge, attitude and behaviour questionnaire to assess undergraduate evidence‐based practice teaching and learning. Med Educ. 2003;37(11):992-1000.
- Brown CE, Kim SC, Stichler JF, Fields W. Predictors of knowledge, attitudes, use and future use of evidence-based practice among baccalaureate nursing students at two universities. Nurse Educ Today. 2010;30(6):521-7.
- Lai NM, Nalliah S. Information-seeking practices of senior medical students: the impact of an evidence-based medicine training programme. Educ Health (Abingdon). 2010;23(1):151.
- Lai NM, Teng CL, Lee ML. The place and barriers of evidence based practice: knowledge and perceptions of medical, nursing and allied health practitioners in malaysia. BMC Res Notes. 2010;3:279.
- Flores-Mateo G, Argimon JM. Evidence based practice in postgraduate healthcare education: a systematic review. BMC Health Serv Res. 2007;7:119.
- Koehn ML, Lehman K. Nurses' perceptions of evidence-based nursing practice. J Adv Nurs. 2008;62(2):209-15.
- Penz KL, Bassendowski SL. Evidence-based nursing in clinical practice: implications for nurse educators. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2006;37(6):251-4; quiz 255-6, 269.
- Stetler CB. Updating the Stetler Model of research utilization to facilitate evidence-based practice. Nurs Outlook. 2001;49(6):272-9.
- Dysart AM, Tomlin GS. Factors related to evidence-based practice among U.S. occupational therapy clinicians. Am J Occup Ther. 2002;56(3):275-84.
- Vaghar Sevvedin S, Vaghar Seyyedin R. Evidence based-practice and its challenges in nursing. Mod Care J 2006, 3(3 & 4): 38-44. [In Persian]
- Farokhzadian J, Khajouei R, Ahmadian L. Evaluating factors associated with implementing evidence-based practice in nursing. J Eval Clin Pract. 2015;21(6):1107-13.
- Farokhzadian J, Khajouei R, Ahmadian L. Information seeking and retrieval skills of nurses: Nurses readiness for evidence based practice in hospitals of a medical university in Iran. Int J Med Inform. 2015;84(8):570-7.
- Thompson CJ. Fostering skills for evidence-based practice: The student journal club. Nurse Educ Pract. 2006;6(2):69-77.
- Profetto-McGrath J. Critical Thinking and Evidence-Based Practice. J Prof Nurs. 2005;21(6):364-71.