Document Type : Original Article
MSc Student, Department of Education, School of Education and Psychology, University of Sistan and Baluchestan, Zahedan, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Planning and Educational Administration, School of Education and Psychology, University of Sistan and Baluchestan, Zahedan, Iran
Associate Professor, Department of Education, School of Education and Psychology, University of Sistan and Baluchestan, Zahedan, Iran
Background & Objective: Achievement motivation and selfdirected learning can be affected by various factors including classroom management styles This study aimed to investigate the relationship between classroom management styles and achievement motivation and selfdirected learning in graduate students of the University of Sistan and Baluchistan Iran Methods: This descriptivecorrelation study was conducted through regression analysis From among all graduate students of the University of Sistan and Baluchestan 323 students were selected and studied in October 2015 The study tools consisted of Martin and Baldwins Class Management Styles Questionnaire (1998) Fishers Selfdirected Learning Readiness Scale (SDLRS) (2001) and Hermans Achievement Motivation Scale (1977) To analyze the data Pearson correlation coefficient and simultaneous multiple regression analysis were used in SPSS software Results: Mean score of the noninterventionist interactionist interventionist achievement motivation and selfdirected learning styles were 273 ± 0517 277 ± 0527 286 ± 0435 274 ± 0406 and 328 ± 0311 respectively The correlation coefficients of the noninterventionist style with achievement motivation and selfdirected learning were respectively 0077 and 0035 (P > 005) The correlation coefficients of the interactionist style with achievement motivation and selfdirected learning were respectively 0644 and 0591 (P < 001) The correlation coefficients of the noninterventionist style with achievement motivation and selfdirected learning were 0436 and 0408 (P < 001) respectively According to the results of regression analysis interactionist and interventionist styles explained 564% of the variance in achievement motivation and 48% of the variance in selfdirected learning (P < 001) Conclusion: Achievement motivation and selfdirected learning in students increased with the use of the interactive classroom management style and reduced with the use of the interventionist classroom management style
- Konti F. Teachers and students perceptions towards teachers’ classroom management applications in primary schools. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2011; 15(2011):4093–97.
- Djigic G, Stojiljkovic S. Classroom management styles, classroom climate and school achievement. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2011; 29(2011); 819-28.
- Khalkhali A, Soleymanpour J, Fardi M. Presenting a Conceptual Model for Establishing Healthy Classroom Management. J Educational Psychology. 2010; 1(2):60-71. [In Persian]
- Dahar MA, Faize NA, Niwaz A, Hussain MA, Zaman A. Relationship between the leadership styles and academic achievement at the secondary stage in Panjab (Pakistan). Int J Academic Res. 2010; 2(6):459-62.
- Yilmaz H, Cavas PH. The effect of the teaching practice on pre-service elementary teachers' science teaching efficacy and classroom management beliefs. Eurasia J Mathematics, Science & Technology Education. 2008; 4(1):45-54.
- Hoy WK. The pupil control studies: Historical, theoretical and empirical analysis. J Educational Administration. 2001; 39(5): 424-41.
- Khedrikhaanaabaadi A, Poorshaafe'i H. Elementary School Teachers' Classroom Management Skills and Students' Self-Efficacy. J Education. 2014; 30(3):157-76. [In Persian]
- Sarmadi MR, Saif MH. Classroom Management. Tehran: Payam Noor University; 2011: 146-7. [In Persian]
- Rush S. Analysis factors that place studentatrisk, J Educ Res. 1994; 4(3): 115-9.
- Saif AA. Educational psychology: psychology of leaning and instruction. 7thed. Tehran: Agah Pub; 2013. [In Persian]
- Solemanifar O, Shabani F. The Relation of Self-Efficacy and Achievement Motivation with Academic Adjustment of First Year Undergraduate Students of Shahid Chamran University Ahvaz. J Educational Psychology Studies. 2013; 10(17);83-104. [In Persian]
- Biabangard S. Correlation among self-concept, motive and student advance academic. Psychol Cogn Sci. 2006; 5:130-43. [In Persian]
- Ahanchian M, Assarroudi A. The Relationship between decision making style and self-directed learning in Anesthesiology students. Military Caring Sciences J. 2015; 2(1): 15-23. [In Persian]
- Yousefy AR, Gordanshekan M. A Review on development of Self-directed learning. Iran J Med Educ. 2011; 10(5): 776-83. [In Persian]
- Amini M, Rahimi H, Gholamian Z. The Study of Classroom Management Styles of Faculty Members in Kashan University of Medical Sciences, Iran. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2015;12(1);38-48. [In Persian]
- Bakhshayesh A. Investigating the Relationship between Classroom Management Styles and Personality Traits of Yazd Primary School Teachers. J New Approaches in Educational Administration. 2013; 4(2);185-95. [In Persian]
- Ariapooran S, Azizi F, Dinarvand H. The relationship between classroom management style and mathematic motivation and achievement in fifth grade elementary students. J School Psychology. 2013; 2(1): 23-41. [In Persian]
- Arabzadeh M, Kadivar P, Delavar A. Self-regulated learning, goal orientation with classroom management style in preservice teachers. Contemporary Psychology. 2011; 6(1): 49-58. [In Persian]
- Adeyemo SA. The relationship between effective classroom management and students’ academic achievement. European J Educational Studies. 2012; 4(3): 367-81.
- Ghias F, Ahmed A. A study of the effect of management styles on performance of students at secondary level in Sargodha. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2012; 46(2012): 2523-7.
- 21. Evrim EA, Gökçe K, Enisa Exploring the relationship between teacher beliefs and styles on classroom management in relation to actual teaching practices: a case study. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2009; 1(1):612–7.
- Wolters GA. Regulation of motivation: Contextual and social aspects. Teachers College Record. 2011; 113(2): 265-83.
- Kukuru JD. Expression of classroom management principles by secondary schools’ teachers. Int J Educational Administration and Policy Studies. 2011; 3(11):179-90.
- Kostis T, Efthymia P. Responsive classroom management in a multicultural school context. Synergies Sud-Est europeen. 2009; 2: 169-76.
- Kaykci K. The effect of classroom management skills of elementary school teachers on undesirable discipline behavior of students. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2009; 1(1): 1215–25.
- Raoufi M, Sadagat K, Hanae J, Khodadi Kh, Nazari M, Pouzesh Sh, Asgari AR. Effective familial individual factors on drop out of the students of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences in Academic Year (2005-2006). Med J Tabriz Univ Med Sci. 2008; 29(4): 113-5. [In Persian]
- Soltani Arabshahi S, Naeimi L. Assessment of the current situation of - self-directed learning skills in medical students. Razi J Med Sci. 2013; 20 (113):10-9. [In Persian]
- Tamannaifar MR, Gandomi Z. Correlation between achievement motivation and academic achievement in university students. Iran Quart Educ Strategies. 2011; 4 (1):15-9. [In Persian]
- Ghodoosi Nejad A, Asadian S, Farid A. The direct and indirect effects of classroom management practices and perception of school climate on procrastination. Soc Psychol Res. 2015; 4(16);53-78. [In Persian]
- Marzano RJ, Marzano JS. The key to classroom management. Educational Leadership. 2003; 61(1): 6-13.
- Rasoli Y. Relation between Classroom Management Style and Teaching method with Students' Creativity and Academic Achievement, Survey Methodology 2015, 44(1);94-118.
- Kunter M, Jürgen Baumert J, Köller O. Effective classroommanagement and the development of subject-related interest. Learning and Instruction. 2007; 17(5); 494–509.
- Nugent TT. (dissertation). The impact of teacher student interaction on student motivation and achievement. Orlando, Florida: Technology and Leadership in the College of Education at the University of Central Florida; 2009.
- Alavi Langaroodi K, Solimani Z. A Comparison of Teachers' Beliefs and Attitudes towards Class Control in terms of Demographic Characteristics. J New Approach in Educational Administration. 2014; 4(14):115-36. [In Persian]
- Bembenutty H. Academic delay of gratification and expectancy-value. Pers Individ Dif. 2008;44(2008):193-202.
- Ashjari M, Zahedbabelan A, Rezayi-Sharif A. The relationship between classroom management and achievement motivation with high school students self-regulated learning in Marand city. J Educational Leadership & Administration. 2015; 7(4);21-34. [In Persian]
- Aali A, Amin-Yazdi A. The effect of teacher traits on classroom management style. Educational and Psycology Studies. 2008; 24(1): 103-5. [In Persian]
- Cheng SF, Kuo CL, Lin KC, Lee-Hsieh J.. Development and preliminary testing of a selfrating instrument to measure self-directed learning ability of nursing students. Int J Nurs Stud. 2010;47(9):1152-8.
- Saleh Sedghpour B, Azimi SN. Structural equation modeling of the relationship self – regulation and emotional intelligence on academic achievement in mathematics with mediation of self-efficiency. J School Psychology. 2014; 3(4):73-91. [In Persian]
- Williamson SN. Development of a self-rating scale of self-directed learning. Nurse Res. 2007; 14(2):66-83.
- Karami M, Pakmehr H, Aghili A. Another view to importance of teaching methods in curriculum: Collaborative learning and students’ critical thinking disposition. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2012;46:3266-70.
- Knowles MS, Holton III EF, Swanson RA. The adult learner: the definitive classic in adult education and human resource development. 8thed. New York: Routledge; 2015.