Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. Student, Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Rehabilitation, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
M.Sc. in Occupational Therapy, Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation Research Center AND Lecturer, Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Rehabilitation, Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Ph.D. in Occupational Therapy, Assistant Professor, Department of Occupational Therapy, School of Rehabilitation, University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: The ultimate goal of medical universities is clinical efficacy in their students Students evaluation of selfefficacy can be a good guide to predicting their clinical skills Therefore this research was designed to evaluate the effect of occupational therapy clinical training during one semester on selfefficacy and clinical reasoning in students and the relationship between these two factors Methods: This descriptiveanalytical and crosssectional study was conducted on 42 third and fourth year undergraduate students of occupational therapy who were passing the clinical education course The study was conducted in all occupational therapy clinical centers of Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences Ahvaz Iran through census sampling in 2014 The General SelfEfficacy Scale (10 questions) and SelfAssessment of Clinical Reflection and Reasoning (26 questions) were used in this study Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics and parametric tests such as paired ttest independent ttest and the Pearson correlation coefficient in SPSS software Results: Results indicated a significant change (from 2997 ± 387 in pretest to 3180 ± 404 in posttest) in students selfefficacy during one semester (P = 0009) However the increase in mean scores of clinical reasoning and selfreflection at the end of the semester was not significant (P = 0460) There was a weak correlation between the selfefficacy variable and clinical reasoning and selfreflection (P = 0010 r = 039) Scores did not show statistically significant differences in either cases and between the two sexes Conclusion: According to the results of this study clinical training program in the field of occupational therapy led to the creation and promotion of selfefficacy in students but does not increase clinical reasoning among them Therefore revision of clinical training of students and improvement of their clinical courses plans seems necessary
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: the exercise of control. New York: Freeman; 1997.
- Pajares F. Self-efficacy beliefs in academic settings. Review of Educational Research. 1996;66(4):543-78.
- Ferla J, Valcke M, Cai Y. Academic self-efficacy and academic self-concept: Reconsidering structural relationships. Learn Individ Differ. 2009;19(4):499-505.
- Zeinalipour H, Zarei E, Zandinia Z. Students general self-efficacy and it's relation with students' academic performance. J Educational Psychology Studie. 2009;6(9):13-28. [In Persian]
- Zimmerman B. Self-efficacy: An essential motive to learn. Contemp Educ Psychol. 2000;25(1):82-91.
- Boyt Schell B, Gillen G, Scaffa M, Cohn E. Willard and Spackman's Occupational Therapy. 20th ed. New York: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2013: 1312.
- Ayotola A, Adedeji T. The relationship between mathematics self-efficacy and achievement in mathematics. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2009;1(1):953-7.
- Walsh K. The relationship among mathematics anxiety, beliefs about mathematics, mathematics self-efficacy, and mathematics performance in associate degree nursing students. Nurs Educ Perspect. 2008;29(4):226-9.
- McGinnis PQ, Hack LM, Nixon-Cave K, Michlovitz SL. Factors that influence the clinical decision making of physical therapists in choosing a balance assessment approach. Phys Ther. 2009;89(3):233-47.
- Moattari M, Fallahzadeh M. Senior medical students' self evaluation of their capability in general competencies in Shiraz University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2008;7(2):371-7. [In Persian]
- Mohammadi F, Hosseini M A. Rehabilitation sciences students' perception from clinical self-efficacy compared to evaluation by clinical teachers. Iran J Med Educ. 2010; 10(2) :155-63. [In Persian]
- Haghani F, Asgari F, Zare S, Mahjoob-Moadab H. Correlation between Self-Efficacy and Clinical Performance of the Internship Nursing Students. Res Med Educ. 2013; 5 (1):22-30. [In Persian]
- Rajabi G. Validity and Reliability evaluation of general self-efficacy scale in psychology students of training sciences and psychology faculty of Ahwaz Shahid Chamran University and Marvdasht Azad University. J New Thoughts on Education. 2006;2(1-2):111-22. [In Persian]
- Royeen CB, Mu K, Barrett K, Luebben AJ. Pilot investigation: Evaluation of clinical reflection and reasoning before and after workshop intervention. American Occupational therapy Association: Innovations in Occupational therapy Education; 2001: 107-14.
- Scaffa ME, Wooster DM. Effects of problembased learning on clinical reasoning in occupational therapy. Am J Occup Ther. 2004;58(3):333-6.
- Bullinger M, Alonso J, Apolone G, Leplège A, Sullivan M, Wood-Dauphinee S, et al. Translating health status questionnaires and evaluating their quality: the IQOLA Project approach. International Quality of Life Assessment. J 1998;51(11):913-23. Clin Epidemiol.
- Sadeghi H, Talebi Z, Jadidmilani M, Miirmousavi S. Relationship between Clinical Education Environment and Clinical SelfEfficacy in Nursing Students of Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences, 2012. J Sabzevar Univ Med Sci. 2015;22(3): 506-15. [In Persian]
- Opacic DA. The relationship between selfefficacy and student physician assistant clinical performance. J Allied Health. 2003;32(3):158-66.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy mechanism in human agency. American 1982;37(2):122-47. Psychologist.
- Roohi Gh, Asayesh H, Bathai S, Shouri Bidgoli A, Badeleh M, Rahmani H. The relationship between self-efficacy and academic motivation among students of medical sciences. J Med Educ Dev. 2013;8(1):45-51. [In persian]
- Mayall HJ. Difference in gender based technology self-efficacy across academic levels. Int J Instructional Media. 2008;35(2):145-55.
- Bush JV, Powell NJ, Herzberg G. Career selfefficacy in occupational therapy practice. Am J Occup Ther. 1993;47(10):927-33.
- Rowbotham M, Owen RM. The effect of clinical nursing instructors on student selfefficacy. Nurse Educ Pract. 2015;15(6):561-6.
- Christie BA, Joyce PC, Moeller PL. Fieldwork experience, Part I: Impact on practice preference. Am J Occup Ther. 1985;39(10): 671-4.
- Hendry RG, Kawai GK, Moody WE, Sheppard JE, Smith LC, Richardson M, et al. Consultant attitudes to undertaking undergraduate teaching duties: perspectives from hospitals serving a large medical school. 2005;39(11):1129-39. Med Educ.
- Chiang H-YA, Pang C-H, Li W-S, Shih Y-N, Su C-T. An investigation of the satisfaction and perception of fieldwork experiences among occupational therapy students. Hong Kong J Occupational Therapy. 2012;22(1):9-16.
- Abdi K, Sadat Madah S, Rahgozar M, Dalvandi A. Evaluation of Educational situation of rehabilitation branches in welfare and rehabilitation university, from the student's view point in educational year 2003-2004. J Rehababilitation. 2007;7(4):57-64. [In Persian]
- Salehi S, Abedi H A, Alipour L, Najafipour S, Fatehi N. Learning activities and clinical nursing services gap and the related factors: a comparative study. Iran J Med Educ. 2001; 1 (3) :43-49. [In Persian]
- Sloan DA, Donnelly MB, Schwartz RW. The surgical clerkship: characteristics of the effective teacher. Med Educ. 1996;30(1):18-23.
- Wilcock P, Lewis A. Putting improvement at the heart of health care: medical students need to learn continuous quality improvement skills as core skills. BMJ. 2002;325(7366):670-1.
- Hassan Zahraei R, Atash Sokhan G, Salehi S, Ehsanpour S, Hassanzadeh A. Comparing the factors related to the effective clinical teaching from faculty members' and students' points of view. Iran J Med Educ. 2008;7(2):249-56. [In Persian]
- Avijgan M, Karamalian H, Ashourioun V, Changiz T. Educational needs assessment of medical school's clinical faculty members in Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2009; 9(2):93-103. [In Persian]
- Taheri A, Forghany S, Atapour S, Hassanzadeh A. The effective clinical teaching from faculty members and rehabilitation student point of view. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;11(9):1131-9. [In Persian]
- Goldenberg D, Andrusyszyn MA, Iwasiw C. The effect of classroom simulation on nursing students' self-efficacy related to health teaching. J Nurs Educ. 2005;44(7):310-4.
- Cheraghi F, Hassani P, Riazi H. Correlation Study of Nursing Students’ Self-Efficacy with Clinical Performance. Sci J Hamadan Nursing & Midwifery Faculty. 2011; 19(1): 35-45. [In Persian]