M.Sc. in Nursing, Lecturer, Department of Internal-Surgical Nursing, School of Nursing, Birjand, University of Medical Sciences, Birjand, Iran
B.Sc. in Nursing, School of Nursing, Ferdows Branch, Islamic Azad University, Ferdows, Iran
Background & Objective: Providing a more realistic training environment can help learners to better understand what they were taught Nursing students can be prepared for real critical scenarios such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) by using simulation in training This study was aimed to evaluate the effect of simulation training on nursing students knowledge and skill in CPR Methods: This was a quasiexperimental study with pre and posttest on 30 participants Data was collected using a questionnaire before and after the training The results were analyzed by ANOVA and paired ttest using SPSS Results: In the pretest knowledge score was 1050 ± 016 while in the posttest it was 1760 ± 018 Also skill score in the pretest and posttest was 1150 ± 474 and 1847 ± 217 respectively Comparing the means showed a significant difference between the results of pre and posttest (P = 0030) Conclusion: According to the results of this study simulation method improved nursing students knowledge and skills and should be considered in education planning by authorities
- Asgari MR, Soleimani M. Cardio pulmonary resuscitation. 2nd ed.Tehran: Avaye Game’e Pub; 2014: 1- 2. [In Persian]
- Kohpaye Zadeh J, Mehrabi H, Ranjbar H, Shoghi M, Zeighami Mohammadi Sh. The effect of multi-media educational software on learning basic principles of Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) in Nursing Student. Iran J Critical Care Nursing. 2014;7(3):160-7.
- Mokhtari Nouri J, Khademolhosseini M, Karimi Zarchi AA, Naim Abadi T, Saghafinia M. The effect of CPR training on knowledge and skills. Kowsar Med J. 2007; 12(3): 263-271. [In Persian]
- Salari A, Mohammad Nejad E, Vanaki Z, Ahmadi F. Effect of in-hospital cardiopulmonary cerebral resuscitation management on resuscitation outcomes. Iran J Critical Care Nursing. 2011; 4 (1):13-22.
- Preusch MR, Bea F, Roggenbach J, Katus HA, Jünger J, Nikendei C. Resuscitation Guidelines 2005: does experienced nursing staff need training and how effective is it? Am J Emerg Med. 2010; 28(4):477-84.
- Nolan JP, Soar J, Zideman DA, Biarent D, Bossaert LL, Deakin C, et al. European Resuscitation Council Guidelines for Resuscitation 2010 Section 1. Executive summary. Resuscitation. 2010; 81(10): 1219-76.
- Heidarzadeh A, Azizzade forouzi M, kazemi M, Jahani Y. The effect of computer simulation and mannequin on nursing students’ perception of self-efficacy in cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Iran J Med Educ. 2015; 14(10): 876-85. [In Persian]
- Bakhsha F, Behnampour N. The effect of CPR training on knowledge of nurses working in the hospitals affiliated to Golestan University of Medical Sciences. J Gorgan Univ Med Sci. 2007; 8(4):46-9. [In Persian]
- Mahoori A, Hassani E, Noroozinia H, Amiri Kar M. Evaluating the knowledge of Urmia University Medical students about adult cardio pulmonary resuscitation. Urmia Med J. 2010; 21(3): 260-5.
- Alijanpour E, Amri-maleh P, Khafri S, Razzaghi F. Assessment of different cardio-pulmonary resuscitation teaching approach on quality of education in medical student, Babol 2011. Med J Mashhad Univ Med Sci. 2014; 56(6): 376-82. [In Persian]
- Borimnejad L, Rasouli M, Nikbakht Nasrabadi A, Mohammadi Mohammadi H, Ahmadzadeh M. The effect of cardiopulmonary resuscitation workshop on nurses sustained learning. Iran J Med Educ. 2008; 7(2): 209-14. [In Persian]
- Bolbol Haghighi N, Ebrahimi H, Delvariyan Zadeh M, Hasani MR. Effects of education on midwifery students’ knowledge and skill in neonatal resuscitation. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2008; 4 (2): 116-24. [In Persian]
- Onda EL. Situated cognition: Its relationship to simulation in nursing education. Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 2012; 8(7): e273-e280.
- Rashidi Fakari F, Kordi M, Mazloom S R, Khadivzadeh T, Tara M, Akhlaghi F. Comparing the effect of traditional, web based and simulation training on midwifery students' clinical competence in postpartum hemorrhage management. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2015; 25(123):65-77. [In Persian]
- Kalani Z, Vaziri SF, Koohpayezadeh J. Comparison of the education effect in simulated environment with educational film on acquiring midwifery students' episiotomy skill. Med Edu Dev. 2016; [In Persian] 11(1): 91-9.
- Janighorban M, Allahdadian M, Haghani F. Simulation, strategy for improving clinical education. J Nursing Educ. 2013; 2(1):55-65. [In Persian]
- Haqqani F, Ehsani M, Jafari Myanayy S. Simulation. Iran J Med Edac. 2014; 11(2): 27279. [In Persian]
- Madhavanprabhakaran G, Al-Khasawneh E, Wittmann L. Pre-Clinical Perceived Benefits of Simulation-based Training on Clinical Learning Outcomes among Omani Undergraduate Nursing Students. Sultan Qaboos Univ Med J. 2015; 15(1):e105-11.
- McGaghie WC, Issenberg SB, Barsuk JH, Wayne DB. A critical review of simulation-based mastery learning with translational outcomes. Med Educ. 2014; 48(4):375-85.
- Joyce B, Weil M, Calhoun E. Models of teaching.7th ed. Tehran: Kamal tarbiat Pub; 2006. [In Persian]
- Swamy M, Sawdon M, Chaytor A, Cox D, Barbaro-Brown J, McLachlan J. A study to investigate the effectiveness of SimMan® as an adjunct in teaching preclinical skills to medical students. BMC Med Educ. 2014; 14: 231.
- Paige JT, Arora S, Fernandez G, Seymour N. Debriefing 101: training faculty to promote learning in simulation-based training. Am J Surg. 2015; 209(1):126-31.
- Hoadley TA. Learning advanced cardiac life support: a comparison study of the effects of low- and high-fidelity simulation. Nurs Educ Perspect. 2009; 30(2):91-5.
- Entezari M, Abasgholi Zadeh N, Eslam Madad V. (dissertation). Evaluation of knowledge and skills in medical students about cardiopulmonary resuscitation in Ardabil Medicine Faculty in 2001. Ardabil: Ardabil Med Faculty; 2011.
- Ahmadi M, Nasiri E, Emadi SA, Mohammadpour AR. A survey of the Knowledge, attitude and behavior in the participants of the neonatal resuscitation workshops of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences Health Services. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2007; 58(17): 109-16. [In Persian]