Document Type : Original Article
Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background Community medicine departments play a major role in the education of medical students in order to provide primary health care services. The appropriate quality of education in such departments plays an important role in providing effective services for health promotion of communities. Objectives The current study was aimed to evaluate the quality of educational services at the Community Medicine Department of Kerman University of Medical Sciences from the viewpoint of interns and apprentices. Methods The current cross sectional, descriptive-analytical study was conducted on all medical students that completed their internship or apprenticeship course at the Community Medicine Department of Kerman University of Medical Sciences in 2016 as the study population. Data were collected by the service quality measurement questionnaire (SERVQUAL), and analyzed by Independent test, paired test, and one sample test, as well as Pearson correlation coefficient. Results Of 244 participants in the study, 58.2% (n = 142) were female and 41.8% (n = 102) male, 57% (n = 139) were in the internship and 43% (105) in the apprenticeship courses. From the students' point of view, the mean score of perception in all five dimensions of educational quality was significantly lower than the expectations score, which indicated a negative gap in the quality of educational services in all dimensions (P < 0.001). The greatest quality gap was observed in the responsiveness dimension (- 0.86) and the lowest in the assurance dimension (- 0.59). The utility level of the quality of educational services in the Department of Community Medicine was 84% from the viewpoint of the students. The highest level of utility in the quality of medical services was respectively observed in the dimensions of assurance (86.4%) and empathy (86.1%) and the lowest in responsiveness dimension (79.6%) (P < 0.001). The lowest and highest correlations were respectively observed between tangibles and assurance (r = 0.486) and between empathy and assurance (r = 0.708) dimensions. Conclusions In all five dimensions of the quality of educational services, there were negative gap that required planning for quality improvement. Issues such as modifying educational contents and tailoring training to future jobs, modifying educational methods, increasing the contribution of students to educational planning, and updating educational facilities should be considered more urgently in the education quality promotion programs.
- Byrami HJ, Amini A, Bakhshian F, Pezeshki M, Gasemiyeh M, Yari J. The effectiveness of the communitymedicine undergraduate program in medical schools on enabling medical graduates to work in the health systems. Res Dev. 2013;2(1):13–7. doi: 10.5681/rdme.2013.004.
- Hamilton J. The renewal of medical education in Iran: Progress and challenge. Med J Islamic Republic of Iran (MJIRI). 2011;25(2):53–6.
- Sajjadi F, Davoudi ME, Saberi IM, Sanaeinasab H, Mehrabi TA. [Level of educational objectives achievement in health and community medicine internship course, interns viewpoint]. Educ Strategy In Med Sci. 2016;8(6):29 To 34. Persian.
- Davati A, Aghaee M, Kamali M, Gitinavard F, Ramezani F, Andalibi N. [Students, View Points on Internship Community Medicine Course in Tehran Medical Universities]. Iranian J Med Educ. 2011; 11(4): 347–55. Persian.
- Ghadimi R, Hajiahmadi M, Tirgar A, Rashvand H, Amouei A, Sajadi P, et al. [The evaluation of social medicine training programs from point of view of general practitioners]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2013; 10(2): 158–65. Persian.
- Bahadori M, Mousavi SM, Sadeghifar J, Haghi M. Reliability and performance of SEVQUAL survey in evaluating quality of medical education services. Int J Hosp Res. 2013;2(1):39–44.
- Norouzinia R, Mohammadi R, Sharifi A. Gap analysis of educational services quality based on SERVQUAL model from Iranian Medical students’ viewpoint (2014). Educ Res Med Sci J. 2016;5(2):87–96.
- Heidarnia MA, Yasin M. An evaluation on medical interns satisfaction in internship course in Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences by SERVQUAL Model. Health Educ Health Promotion. 2013;1(3 and4):33–43.
- Enayati T, Modanloo Y, Behnamfar R, Rezaei A. [Measuring service quality of Islamic Azad University of Mazandaran using SERVQUAL model]. Iranian J Manage Study. 2013;6(1):99–116. Persian. doi:10.22059/IJMS.2013.30126.
- Nabilou B, Khorasani-Zavareh D. The bridge between real and ideal: Students perception on quality gap in reality and their educational expectations. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2014;16(9). e14254. doi:10.5812/ircmj.14254. [PubMed: 25593712]. [PubMed Central: PMC4270665].
- Ghavimi MA, Rahbar M, Kalvanag AF, Ghoreishizadeh A, Ghanizadeh M. Evaluation of the quality of educational services of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences based on SERVQUAL model. World J Dent.2017;8(2):114–8.
- Beheshtirad R, Ghalavandi H, Ghaleei AR. The interval of educational services quality: Distance of current and desirable situation by nursing students point view of Urmia Medical University. Intl Res J Appl Basic Sci. 2012;3(12):2467–71.
- Beheshtirad R, Ghaleei AR, Ghalavandi H. [Educational services quality distance between current and desirable situations]. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2013;6(1):49–54. Persian.
- Aghamolaei T, Zare S. Quality gap of educational services in viewpoints of students in Hormozgan University of medical sciences. BMC Med Educ. 2008;8:34. doi: 10.1186/1472-6920-8-34. [PubMed:18564413]. [PubMed Central: PMC2442591].
- Salari A, Dadgaran I, Rouhi Balasi L, Moaddab F, Khoshrang H, Nourisaeed A. The Status of Clinical Teaching from Viewpoint of Faculty Members and Students in Guilan University of Medical Sciences. Res Deve Med Educ. 2016;5(2):89–92. doi: 10.15171/rdme.2016.018.
- Khanli MR, Daneshmandi H, Choobineh A. The students’ viewpoint on the quality gap in educational services. J Adv Med Educ Prof. 2014;2(3):114–9. [PubMed: 25512931]. [PubMed Central: PMC4235544].
- Tabarraei M, Mohebi S. [Assessing the quality of educational services from the viewpoint of Medical Students of Islamic Azad University of Qom based on SERVQUAL Model 2013]. Arch Hyg Sci. 2014; 3(2): 50–8. Persian.
- Yousapronpaiboon K. SERVQUAL: Measuring higher education service quality in Thailand. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2014;116:1088–95. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.01.350.
- Zafiropoulos C, Vrana V. Service quality assessment in a Greek higher education institute. J Bus Econ Manage. 2008;9(1):33–45. doi:10.3846/1611-1699.2008.9.33-45.
- onlagic S, Fazlic S. Quality assessment in higher education using the SERVQUALQ model. J Contemporary Manage Issues. 2015;20(1):39–57.
- Rasolabadi M, Shafieian M, Gharibi F. [Assessment of the quality of educational services by the SERVQUAL Model: Viewpoints of the students at Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences]. Scientific J Kurdistan Univ Med Sci. 2013;18(1). Persian.
- Kermansaravi F, Navidian A, Imani M. Nursing students’ views toward quality of theoretical and clinical nursing education: A qualitative study. J Med Educ Dev. 2013;7(4):28–40.
- Iranmanesh F, Moghaddam AH, Shafa MA. [Evaluation of the Quality of Teaching in Neurology Ward, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran, from the Point of View of medical students]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2013;10(2):281–7. Persian.
- Sharifi B, Ghafarian Shirazi HR, Momeninejad M, Saniee F, Hashemi N, Jabarnejad A, et al. A survey of the quality and quantity of clinical education from the viewpoint of medical students. J Jahrom Univ Med Sci. 2012;10(2):57–63. doi: 10.29252/jmj.10.2.57.
- Tazakori Z, Mehri S, Mobaraki N, Dadashi L, Ahmadi Y, Shokri F, et al. [Factors affecting on quality of clinical education from perspectives of operating room students]. J Health Care. 2015;17(2):128–36. Persian.
- Tavakoli M, Khazaei T, Tolyat M, Ghorbani S. [The Quality of clinical education from the viewpoints of students and instructors of paramedical and nursing-obstetrics schools of Birjand University of Medical
Sciences]. Daneshvar Med. 2014;21(110):1–9. Persian.
- Arabshahi KS, Haghani F, Bigdeli S, Omid A, Adibi P. Challenges of the ward round teaching based on the experiences of medical clinical teachers. J Res Med Sci. 2015;20(3):273–80. [PubMed: 26109975].[PubMed Central: PMC4468233].