Document Type : Original Article
Students Research Committee, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Department of Midwifery, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Background Students’ personal characteristics are among the factors influencing the development of their critical thinking. Self-esteem is a normal influencing personality trait. Self-esteem affects all the aspects of individuals’ lives including the way of their thinking and performance. Objectives Therefore, the current study aimed to determine the relationship between critical thinking disposition and self-esteem in the midwifery students of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences in 2014. Methods This cross sectional study was carried out on all bachelor students (N = 53) of the Mashhad Nursing and Midwifery Faculty. Data were collected through a personal information form, the Rosenberg’s self-esteem questionnaire, and the California critical thinking disposition questionnaire. The collected data were analyzed in SPSS through descriptive statistical methods and a Pearson correlation coefficient test. Results The vast majority of students (62.26%) had an unsteady critical thinking disposition. However, 84.90% of them had a moderate level of self-esteem. Pearson correlation test showed no significant relationship between critical thinking disposition and self-esteem (P > 0.05). Conclusions According to the study results, the vast majority of the study cases had a moderate level of self-esteem with an unsteady critical thinking disposition. There was no significant relationship between critical thinking disposition and self-esteem in the studied midwifery students.
- Kordi M, Rashidi Fakari F, Khadivzadeh T, Mazloum SR, Akhlaghi F, Tara M. The effect of web-based and simulation-based education on midwifery students’ self-confidence in postpartum hemorrhage management. J Midwifery Reproduc Health. 2015;3(1):262–8.
- Heshmati Nabavi F, Vanaki Z, Mohammadi E. [Barrier to forming and implementing academic service partnership in nursing: A qualitative study]. Iran J Nurs Res. 2010;5(17):32–46. Persian.
- Delaram M. [Clinical education from the viewpoints of nursing and midwifery students in Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med educ. 2006;6(2):129–32. Persian.
- Tafazzoli M, Rashidi Fakari F, Ramazanzadeh M, Sarli A. The relationship between critical thinking dispositions and academic achievement in Iranian midwifery students. Nurs Pract Today. 2016;2(3):88–93.
- Arfaei K, Soofi-Abadi Z. [Midwifery students, perspectives about their motivation for choosing midwifery as a career]. Iran J Nurs. 2010;23(67):23–8. Persian.
- Facione PA. Critical thinking: What it is and why it counts. San Jose, CA, USA: The California Academic Press; 2013.
- Fonteyn ME, Cahill M. The use of clinical logs to improve nursing students’ metacognition: A pilot study. J Adv Nurs. 1998;28(1):149–54. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2648.1998.00777.x. [PubMed: 9687142].
- Barkhordary M, Jalalmanesh S, Mahmoodi M. [The relationship between critical thinking disposition and self esteem in third and forth year bachelor nursing students]. Iran J Med Educ. 2009;9(1):13–9. Persian.
- Rochester S, Kilstoff K, Scott G. Learning from success: Improving undergraduate education through understanding the capabilities of successful nurse graduates. Nurse Educ Today. 2005;25(3):181–8. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2004.12.002. [PubMed: 15795020].
- Zare N, Daneshpajooh F, Amini M, Razeghi M, Fallahzadeh MH. [The relationship between self-esteem, general health and academic achievement in students of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2007;7(1):59–67. Persian.
- BarkhordaryM. [Comparing critical thinking disposition in baccalaureate nursing students at different grades and its relationship with state anxiety]. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;11(7):779–88. Persian.
- Iranfar S, Sepahi V, Khoshay A, Keshavarzi F. The relationship between critical thinking disposition and self-esteem. Edu Res Med Sci J. 2013;2(2):9–14.
- Abasi P, Sepahi V, Khoshay A, Iranfar S, Timareh M. [Critical thinking disposition and its relationship with self-esteem in pre-clinical and clinical medical students of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2013;13(6):498–508. Persian.
- Suliman WA, Halabi J. Critical thinking, self-esteem, and state anxiety of nursing students. Nurse Educ Today. 2007;27(2):162–8. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2006.04.008. [PubMed: 16857300].
- Rosenberg M. Society and the adolescent self-image. Rev ed. Middletown, CT, England: Wesleyan University Press; 1989.
- Alizadeh T, Farahani MN, Shahraray M, Alizadegan S. [The relationship between self esteem and locus of control with infertility related stress of no related infertile men and women]. J Reprod Infertil. 2005;6(2):194–204. Persian.
- Yadollahi A, Fata L, Mirzazadeh A, Soltani A. [Predicting academic achievement through critical thinking and sociodemographic variables]. J Med Educ Dev. 2013;6(11):72–8. Persian.
- Hasanpour M, Mohammadi R, Dabbaghi F, Oskouie S, Yadavar Nikravesh M, Salsali M, et al. [The need for change in medical sciences education: A step towards developing critical thinking]. Iran J Nurs.2006;18(44):39–49. Persian.
- Raeisoon M, Mohammadi Y, Abdorazaghnejad M, Sharifzadeh G. [An investigation of the relationship between self-concept, self-esteem, and academic achievement of students in the nursing-midwifery faculty in Qaen during 2012-13 academic year]. Mod Care J. 2014;11(3):236–42. Persian.
- Ip WY, Lee DT, Lee IF, Chau JP, Wootton YS, Chang AM. Disposition towards critical thinking: A study of Chinese undergraduate nursing students. J Adv Nurs. 2000;32(1):84–90. [PubMed: 10886438].
- Sabouri Kashani A, Faal Ostadzar N, Karimi Moonaghi H, Gharib M. [Critical thinking dispositions among medical students in two stages: Basic medical sciences and pre-internship]. Iran J Med Educ. 2013;12(10):778–85. Persian.
22. Shin KR, Lee JH, Ha JY, Kim KH. Critical thinking dispositions in baccalaureate nursing students. J Adv Nurs. 2006;56(2):182–9. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2006.03995.x. [PubMed: 17018066].