Document Type : Review
Department of Medical Surgical, Nursing Faculty, AJA University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
MScN, Instructor, Department of Nursing, Faculty of AJA Nursing, AJA University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
PhD in Nursing, Associate Professor, Department of Nursing Management, Faculty of Nursing, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background Lack of suitable educational programs in nursing causes irreparable damage to the community’s health and reduces the academic credibility of universities. In Iran, the master of science in nursing (MScN) program is not tailored to the needs of the community, and graduates lack the required nursing skills. Considering the distinguished quality of higher education in Japan, the aim of the present study is to perform a comparative analysis of MScN programs in Iran and Japan. Methods In this descriptive comparative study, an extensive electronic search was carried out in Persian and English databases, including PubMed, Iran Medex, Medline, Scopus, Google Scholar, scientific information database (SID), and MagIran among articles published during 1997 - 2016. The gathered data were categorized and compared according to the study objectives. Results In comparison with Iran, Japan has a longer history of postgraduate nursing programs, and its educational system has prominent strengths and advantages including: admission interviews; English language requirements for admission; versatility and flexibility of the educational curricula to facilitate student employment during education; integration of research-based units in the curricula; and attention to community-based and home care nursing. Conclusions Comparison of the educational systems of Iran and Japan highlights the need for more flexible curricula in Iran in accordance with the community’s needs.
- Rafii F, Hajinezhad ME, Haghani H. Nurse caring in Iran and its relationship with patient satisfaction. Aust J Adv Nurs. 2009;26(2):75–84.
- MacPhee M, Ellis J, Sanchez McCutcheon A. Nurse staffing and patient safety. Can Nurse. 2006; 102(8): 18–23. [PubMed: 17094364].
- Westmoreland D, Hays BJ. The health system nurse specialist curriculum: collaborative across specialist to prepare nurse leaders. Nurs Educ Perspect. 2002;23(4):172–7.
- Wong FK. Senior clinical nurse specialist pilot position in Hong Kong. Clin Nurse Spec. 2001;15(4):169–76. [PubMed: 11855502].
- Gerard P, Walker J. Charting a course for your future: a directory of clinical nurse specialist programs in the United States.Clin Nurse Spec. 2003;17(4):211–20. [PubMed: 12869868].
- Adibhajbagheri M. Compare philosophy of objectives and curricula of graduate level of nursing education in Iran and Japan, Abstracts of the fifth national conference of medical education, (in Persian). Iran J Med Educ. 2002;2(2):8–9.
- Mirzabeygi G, Sanjari M, Salemi S, Babaei F, Kheradmand M. The necessity for specialty education in nursing MS program: viewpoints of the faculty members of school of nursing and midwifery in Iran, (inPersian). Iran J Med Educ. 2010;9(3):263–71.
- Kermanshahi S, Memarian R, Heseni A, Zamzam S, Nezamli F. A comparison postgraduate MS curriculum of nursing education in Iran and Canada, (in Persian). J Med Educ Dev. 2011;4(6):48–54.
- Arefi M. Subjects in engineering of interdisciplinary curricula in higher education, (in Persian). J Interdiscipl Res Hum Sci. 2010;2(8):69–94.
- Seif AA. Measurement, comparison and evaluation of education, (in Persian). 6 ed. Tehran: Doran; 2013.
- Aliyari SH, Maleki H, Pazargadi M, Abbas poor A. Developing and standardization of quality evaluation and accreditation indicators for curricula of baccalaureate degree nursing education in Iran, (in Persian). Ann Mil Health Sci Res. 2012;10(1):50–61.
- Karimi Moonaghi H, Montazeri R. A comparative study of the curriculum of masters degree in medical education in Iran and some other countries, (in Persian). Strides Dev Med Educ. 2015; 11(4): 420–33.
- Jafari Asl M, Chehrzed MM, Shafipour SZ, Ghanbari A. Quality of educational services from viewpoints of nursing and midwifery students of Guilan university based on servqual model. Res Med Educ. 2014;6(1):50–8. doi: 10.18869/acadpub.rme.6.1.50.
- Kaiser KL, Barr KL, Hays BJ. Setting a new course for advanced practice community/public health nursing. J Prof Nurs. 2003;19(4):189–96. [PubMed: 12964139].
- Farajzadeh Z, Rakhsh Khosid M, Izadpanah A, Saadatjoo S. Factors affecting quality of education from the viewpoint of graduated nurses working in Birjand hospitals, 2012, (in Persian). Modern Care J. 2014; 11(3): 196–202.
- Nasiriani K, Farnia F, Salimi T. Nursing graduates self assessment of their clinical skills acquired in medical surgical wards, (in Persian). Iran J Med Educ. 2006;6(1):93–100.
- Ghorbani F, Rahkar Farshi M, Valizadeh L. Comparison of masters curriculum of pediatric nursing in Iran and United states, (in Persian). J Nurs Educ. 2015;4(3):41–7.
- Madandar Arani A, Abbasi P. Take a look again to the comparative education and its mission, (in Persian). J Educ. 2007;23(2):101–26.
- Yasini P. Comparative study of education in Iran and Japan, (secondary school), (in Persian). Tehran: Islamic Azad University, Central Tehran Branch; 2012.
- Rahimaghaee F, Nayeri D, Mohammadi E. Iranian nurses perceptions of their professional growth and development. Online J Issues Nurs. 2010;16(1):10. doi: 10.3912/OJIN.Vol16No01PPT01. [PubMed: 21800930].
- Fukuda H, Miyauchi S, Tonai M, Ono M, Magilvy JK, Murashima S. The first nurse practitioner graduate programme in Japan. Int Nurs Rev. 2014;61(4):487–90. doi: 10.1111/inr.12126. [PubMed: 25168623].
- Wikipedia . Nursing in Japan. Wikipedia Cite: Wikipedia; 2017. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nursing_in_Japan.
- Mokhtari Nouri J, Nezamzadeh M. Comparative study of nursing education in Iran and Japan, (in Persian). J Clin Excell. 2016;4(2):99–81.
- Wikipedia . The free encyclopedia, Master of nursing. Wikipedia Cite: Wikipedia; 2016. Available from: https://fa.wikipedia.org/wiki.
- Tabari Khomeiran R, Deans C. Nursing education in Iran: past,present, and future. Nurse Educ Today. 2007;27(7):708–14. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2006.10.003. [PubMed: 17125890].
- Center for Medical Education . Ministery of health and medical education of Iran. 2015. Available from: http://www.sanjeshp.ir/arshad/94/Et03.pdf.
- Students scientific research center . Regulations to facilitate continuing education of talent student to the higher levels of the ministry of health and medical education. 2008.
- Vahedian Azimi A, Ebadi A, Saadat S, Negarandeh R, Ahmadi F. Professors view on the appropriate postgraduate degree in nursing education, A comparative study in two different sociocultural societies
and literature review international, (in Persian). Int J Med Reviews. 2014;1(1):13–23.
- Nikbakht Nasrabadi AR, Mogheri MR. The need for change in nursing education, (in Persian). Hayat. 1999;5(2):46–55.
- Oita university of nursing and health sciences . Oita university of nursing and health sciences. Japan: Oita university of nursing and health sciences; 2009. Available from: http://www.oita-nhs.ac.jp/English/
- Chiang Hanisko L, Ross R, Boonyanurak P, Ozawa M, Chiang L. Pathways to progress in nursing, understanding career patterns in Japan, Taiwan, and Thailand OJIN. J Issues Nurs. 2008;13(3):4. doi:
- Masterstudies . Masters degree in Japan postgraduate programs in Japan. USA: Masterstudies; 2017. Available from: https://www.masterstudies. com/Masters-Degree/.
- Graduate School of Nursing CU. Graduate School of Nursing, Chiba University. Japan: Chiba University; 2010. Available from: http://www.chiba-u.ac.jp/e/education/graduate/nursing.html.
- Primomo J. Nursing around the world: Japan - preparing for the century of the elderly. Online J Issues Nurs. 2000;5(2):2. [PubMed:11453844].
- Horiuchi S. Doctoral nursing education in Japan. J Nurs Sci. 2013;31(1):5–8.
- Farsi Z, Dehghan-Nayeri N, Negarandeh R, Broomand S. Nursing profession in Iran: an overview of opportunities and challenges. Jpn J Nurs Sci. 2010;7(1):9–18. doi: 10.1111/j.1742-7924.2010.00137.x. [PubMed:20618672].
- Manouchehri H, Imani E, Atashzadeh Shoorideh F, Alavi Majd H. Nursing students experiences of work while studying, a qualitative study, (in Persian). Iran J Nurs Res. 2016;11(2):33–42.
- ZandMoghadam A. The effect of tasked based approach on the Iranian ESP learners reading comprehension, (in Persian). Tehran: Allametabatabaei University; 2007.
- Rahimi M, Azhegh H. The impact of TBLT on mechanical engineering students achievement and reading comprehension in an ESP course, (in Persian). J Technol Educ. 2011;5(2):135–43.
- Ahmadi M. Assessment the ability of medical students of Shahrekord University of medical sciences in reading the Englishmedical text, (in Persian). Pajohandeh. 1997;2(7):103–13.
- Shekari A. The comparison between lecturing and role playingin the teaching of history. Shekari, A; 2012. Available from: www.ensani.ir/storage/Files/20120427095843-8085-5.docx.
- Richards JC, Renandya WA. Methodology in language teaching, an anthology of current practice. New York: Cambridge University Press;2002. p. 242–8. doi: 10.1017/cbo9780511667190.
- Rochford C, Connolly M, Drennan J. Paid part-time employment and academic performance of undergraduate nursing students. Nurse Educ Today. 2009;29(6):601–6. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2009.01.004.
- Schoofs N, Bosold S, Slot V, Flentje J. Nursing student employment: impact on academic achievement. Nurse Educ. 2008;33(2):57–8. doi:10.1097/01.NNE.0000299501.32529.44. [PubMed: 18317313].
- Hasson F,McKenna HP, Keeney S. A qualitative study exploring the impact of student nurses working part time as a health care assistant.Nurse Educ Today. 2013;33(8):873–9. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2012.09.014.[PubMed: 23159073].
- Martin E. Part time work and portgraduate students, Developing the skills for employment?. J Hosp Leisure Sport Tourism Educ. 2007;6(2):29–40. doi: 10.3794/johlste.62.133.
- Muir Gray JA. Evidence based healthcare: how to make health policy and management decisions. London: Churchill Livingstone; 1997.
- Salehi Z, Mokhtari Nouri J, Khademolhoseyni SM, Ebadi A. The effect of education and implementation of evidence-based nursing guidelines on infants’ weight gaining in NICU. Glob J Health Sci.2014;7(2):148–53. doi: 10.5539/gjhs.v7n2p148. [PubMed: 25716388].