Document Type : Original Article
Health Human Resources Research Center, School of Management and Information Sciences, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, IR Iran
Student Research Committee, School of Management and Medical Informatics, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, IR Iran
Background and Objectives One of the ways to assess professors is through evaluation by students. This is one of the most challenging methods, with many people for and against it. The present study aimed to weigh existing evaluation criteria in the form of students’ evaluation of professors at Shiraz University of Medical Sciences. Methods The present descriptive-analytical cross-sectional study was conducted with 240 students of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences in 2016 - 17. Data were collected using a six-criterion questionnaire. Questionnaires were distributed among students by the researcher through the schools’ education units and then collected. Data were statistically analyzed using SPSS. Weighing criteria were done by Shannon’s entropy method in Excel. Results Of the six evaluation criteria, “Attracting students’ attention” weighed the most (0.2087 out of 1), followed by “Use of interactive and new teaching methods” (0.2049), “Ability to make the subject understood and motivate” (0.1728), “Punctuality” (0.1727), “Proper communication” (0.1546), and “Proper planning” (0.0863). Conclusions Attention to basic criteria in students’ evaluation of professors is highly important, and this kind of evaluation is only useful when evaluation questionnaires are reviewed by students and include important points and become a part of an extensive and systematic evaluation program for the progress of faculty members.
- Toosi M, Saei M. Managing Human Resources Staff. Tehran: State Management Training Center Training Center; 2001.
- Shakournia A, Elhampour H, DashtBozorgi B. Ten year trends in faculty members’ evaluation results in Jondi Shapour University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2008;7(2):309–16.
- Komeili G, Rezaei G. Study of Student Evaluation by Basic Sciences’ Instructors in Zahedan University of Medical Sciences in 2001. Iran J Med Educ. 2002;2(1):36–42.
- Shakurnia A, Jouhanmardi A, Komaili Sani H. Students’ opinion on factors affecting faculty evaluation in Jondishapoor Medical University. Iran J Med Educ. 2005;5(2):101–10.
- Sarchami R, Salmanzadeh H. The opinions of faculty on the efficiency of student rating scheme on teachers performance in iran university of medical sciences. J Qazvin Univ Med Sci Health Serv. 2005; 34: 71–6.
- Holmes MTE. Higher education reform in Egypt: preparing graduates for Egypt’s changing political economy. Educ Business Soc Contemp Middle East Issues. 2008;1(3):175–85. doi: 10.1108/17537980810909797.
- Maarofi Y, Kiamanesh A, Mehrmohamadi M, Ali Askari M. Evaluation teaching quality in higher education: Assessment of some visions. J Curricul Stud. 2007;1(5):81–112.
- Torkzade J, Marzoughi R, Mohammadi M. Factors Affecting Teacher Evaluation of Students’ Perspective. J Educ Measure Eval Stud. 2014;4(7):139–64.
- Dehghani Tafti MH, Baghianimoghadam MH, Ehrampoush MH, Ardian N, Seyghal N. Investigating students’ attitude towards the importance of factors included in the teaching evaluation forms of
School of Public Health of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences in 2010-2011. J Med Educ Dev. 2012;7(3):16–26.
- Shabani H. Education Skills: Teaching Methods and Techniques. Tehran:Samt; 2010.
- Bazargan A. Educational evaluation: Concepts, Patterns and activity mechanism. Tehran: Samt; 2004.
- Hasanzadeh MM, Riasi HR, Miri MR, Davari MH, Hajiabadi MR. Survey of observing educational rules and regulations by educational staff in different faculties of Birjand University of Medical Sciences. J Birjand Uni Med Sci. 2009;16(1):58–64.
- Alhija FNA, Fresko B. Student evaluation of instruction: What can be learned from students’ written comments? Stud Educ Eval. 2009;35(1):37–44. doi: 10.1016/j.stueduc.2009.01.002.
- Amini M, Honardar M. The view of faculties and medical students about evaluation of faculty teaching experiences. Koomesh. 2008;9(3):171–8.
- Bowles LT. The evaluation of teaching. Med Teach. 2009;22(3):221–4. doi: 10.1080/01421590050006151.
- Nelson MS. Peer evaluation of teaching. Acad Med. 1998;73(1):4–5. doi:10.1097/00001888-199801000-00004.
- Najafipour S, Amini M. A Survey of teachersview points of Jahrom Medical School Towards Teachers Evaluation By Student. Iran J Med Educ. 2002;2:41–2.
- Hasani M, Farshidi S, Joudatkordlor L. The effect of teacher evaluation by students on the performance of academic faculty from viewpoint o teachers and educational administrators. J Nurs Midwifery Faculty. 2013;11(1):22–33.
- Mohammadpour A, Matlabi M. The survey of the Gonabad medical sciences students views on their educational needs and improving theoritical and clinical education program (2001-2002). Iran J Med
- Moshaverinia M, Lavaee F, Bazrafcan L, Savadi N. Indices of faculty evaluation in theoretical courses in 2011: Shiraz dental school students’preferences. 2015. Available from: http://Mediaj.Sums.Ac.Ir.
- Gillespie M. Student-teacher connection: a place of possibility. J Adv Nurs. 2005;52(2):211–9. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2005.03581.x. [PubMed:16164482].
- Shakournia A, Motlagh MA, Malayeri A. Jahan mardi A, Kamili Sani H.The view of Jondishapour Medical university students about faculty evaluation. Iran J Edu Res. 2005;5:109–17.
- Taheri MM, Ryasi HR, Afshar M, Mofatteh MR. Comparison between student rating, faculty self-rating and evaluation of faculty members by heads of respective academic departments in the school
of medicine in Birjand University of Medical Sciences in Iran. J Educ Health Promot. 2014;3:34. doi: 10.4103/2277-9531.131910. [PubMed:25013827].
- Hokmabadi R, Fallah H. Ideal university teachers according to students’views. J Med Educ Dev. 2013;6(10):22–9.
- Bastani P, Rouhollahi NS, Tahernejad A. Validity and Reliability of TeachersEvaluation Questionnaires from Students Point of View in Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Biannual J Med Educ Dev Center
Babol Univ Med Sci. 2015;3(1):7–14.
- Arboni F, Nourian AA, Bakhshodeh H. A Survey of Students and Academic Members’ Views about Marters Evaluation Regarding the Quality of Teaching. J Med Educ Dev. 2011;3(5):1–10.
- Ghalavand H, Eskrootchi R, Alibeyk M. The importance of health website assessment criteria based on the opinions of hospital librarians. J Health Inf Manag. 2013;9(6):814–21.
- Siamian H, Bala Ghafari A, Aligolbandi K, Nezhad SFR, Fereshteh S, Sharifi Nick M, et al. Characteristics of a good university lecturer according to students. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2013;22(96):106–13.
- Vakili A, Hajaghajani S, Rashidy-Pour A, Ghorbani R. An investigation of factors influencing student evaluation of teacher performance: A comprehensive study in Semnan University of Medical Sciences.
- Ghorbani R, Haji-Aghajani S, Heidarifar M, Andade F, Shams-Abadi M. Viewpoints of nursing and para-medical students about the features of a good university lecturer. Koomesh. 2009;10(2):77–84.
- Jirovec RL, Ramanathan CS, Alvarez AR. Course Evaluations. J Soc Work Educ. 2014;34(2):229–36. doi: 10.1080/10437797.1998.10778919.
- Hossini M, Sarchami R. Attitude of students o£ qazvinmedical university towards priorities in teachers assessment. JQUMS. 2002;6(2):33–7.
- Vaezi R, Madah Shariati N, Azmandian MS. Academic evaluation criteria in mind research students in the school of management and accounting of allameh tabatabai university. J Manag Govern Agencies.
- Zare Bidaki M, Rajabpour Sanati A, Hashemian SS, Rajai Ghannad F, Nadjafi Semnani M. A survey on students’ attitude toward teachers’ educational characteristics in Birjand University of Medical Sciences
in 2014. J Med Educ Dev. 2014;9(2):41–8.
- Sepahi V, Khoshay A, Pourmirza Kalhori R, Rostami P. Factors Affecting Student Evaluation of Teacher Performance and its Relationship with Educational Achievement. Education Development Jundishapur. J Educ Dev Jundishapur. 2016;6(4):295–301.
- Hajdin G, Pažur K. Differentiating Between Student Evaluation of Teacher and Teaching Effectiveness. J Inf Organiz Sci. 2012;36(2):123–34.
- Spooren P, Mortelmans D. Teacher professionalism and student evaluation of teaching: Will better teachers receive higher ratings and will better students give higher ratings? Educ Stud. 2006;32(2):201–14.
- Crumbley L, Henry BK, Kratchman SH. Students’ perceptions of the evaluation of college teaching. Qual Assur Educ. 2001;9(4):197–207. doi:10.1108/eum0000000006158.
- Vahabi A, Rahmani S, Rostami S, Vahabi B, Hosseini M, Roshani D. Factors affecting teacher evaluation scores: the students view points of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2015;15:111–21.
- Rafeey M, Javadzadeh A. Effective factors in evaluation of university professors’teaching: Clinical residents’point of view in tabriz university of medical sciences. Iran J Med Education. 2011;11(3):270–8.
- Allahvaisy O, Khatibi R, Nikkhoo B, Farhadifar F, Fathi F, Allahvaisy F. Check the priority of evaluation questions of evaluation questionnaire from students’ viewpoint of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences. Proceedings of the 9th Iranian congress of Medical Education. Yazd.2008.
- Abdolahi B, Farhadi Amjad F, Ghadimi F. Factors affecting the validity of Student Evaluation results: Mixed Method. J Educ Measure Eval Stud. 2015;5(9):129–52.
- Navidian A. Nursing student and teachers’ viewpoints toward priorities in teachers evaluation. Iran J Nurs. 2011;24(72):18–28.
- Ghadami A, Salehi B, Sajadi SH, Naji H. Students’points of view regarding effective factors in establishing communication between students and faculty members. Iran J Med Educ. 2007;7(1):149–54.
- Beheshti Rad R, Ghalavandi H, Ghale’ei AR. Faculty Members Performance Evaluation by Nursing Students Urmia University of Medical Sciences. Educ Strateg Med Sci. 2014;6(4):223–8.
- Heidari H, Sharifirad G, Kamran A. A Comparative Study of Teacher Evaluation Priorities from Viewpoint of the Faculty Members and Students of Lorestan University of Medical Sciences. Res J System Health. 2013;9(7):2–11.
- Malekshahi F, Shakhiyan A, Tarrahi MJ. Attitude of students of Lorestan medical science university towards priorities in teachers assessment 2008. J Nurs Res. 2011;5(9):16–24.
- Amini M, Najafipour S, Torkan N, Ebrahiminejad F. Correlation between educational performance and communication skills of Jahrom medical teachers. J Babol Univ Med Sci. 2010;12(1):100–5.
- Turhan K, Yaris F, Nural E. Does instructor evaluation by students using a web-based questionnaire impact instructor performance? Adv Health Sci Educ. 2005;10(1):5–13.
- Bergman K, Gaitskill T. Faculty and student perceptions of effective clinical teachers. J Profession Nurs. 1990;6(1):33–44. doi: 10.1016/s8755-7223(05)80187-5.
- Peyman H, Zarian A, Sadeghifar J, Alizadeh M, Yaghubi M, Yamani N, et al. Characteristics of a Capable University Teacher from the Students’ Point of View. Iran J Med Educ. 2011;10(5).
- Jahan F, Sadaf S, Kalia S, Khan A, Hamza HB. Attributes of an effective clinical teacher: a survey on students’ and teachers’ perceptions. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2008;18(6):357–61. [PubMed:18760047].
- Joshi S, Pradhan A, Dixit H. Faculty opinion survey following attendance to teacher training workshop in Kathmandu Medical College. Katmandu Univ Med J. 2004;(2):51–5.
- Zohour A, Eslami Nejad T. Indicator of teaching effectiveness from the perspective of Kerman University of Medical Sciences. Payesh. 2003;1(4):5–13.
- Ghafourian Borujerdi M, Shakournia A, Elhampour H. Evaluation results feed back to faculty members of Ahvaz medical university and its effect on improving the quality of teaching. Iran J Med Educ.2003;3(2):41–6.
- Aliasgharpour M, Monjamed Z, Bahrani N. Factors affecting students’ evaluation of teachers: Comparing viewpoints of teachers and students. Iran J Med Educ. 2010;10(2):186–95.