Document Type : Original Article
Department of Physiotherapy, Faculty of Rehabilitation, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Faculty of Rehabilitation, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background and Objectives Teaching clinical skills to students who provide health services is of great importance. Many universities use questionnaires to make qualitative assessments about the teaching of these skills based on the students’ point of view. In many cases, the learning environment affects teaching; however, this issue is not often taken into account while designing questionnaires. In addition, it is necessary to specialize the questionnaires because the clinical trainings of different medical groups differ from each other. The aims of this study were 1, to develop a questionnaire that could be used for quality assessment of clinical education provided by faculty members of rehabilitation school and 2, to evaluate the validity and reliability of such a questionnaire. Methods Based on the clinical education curriculums of the departments of rehabilitation school, a questionnaire consisting of two sections assessing teaching quality (24 items) and learning environment (7 items) was designed. Face and content validity of the questionnaire was approved during several feedback stages based on the opinions of the faculty members. In addition, the reliability of the questionnaire was evaluated by administering it to 25 undergraduate students during a given time interval. Results Using Cronbach’s alpha, the internal consistency values of the questionnaire for teaching quality and learning environment components were found to be 0.94 and 0.73, respectively. The results of the test-retest reliability were as follows: intraclass correlation coefficient (ICC) of 0.95 and 0.96; Pearson correlation coefficient of r = 0.92 and r = 0.93, and paired t-test of P > 0.05. Conclusions Both the teaching quality and learning environment sections in the designed questionnaire were found to be valid and reliable. The results showed that the questionnaire could be used to assess the quality of clinical education provided by faculty members in rehabilitation schools.
- Tayebi SJ. The role of universities in national development[In Persian]. Q J Res Plann High Educ. 1994;7(8):21–50.
- Dolmans D, Schmidt A, van der Beek J, Beintema M, Gerver WJ. Does a student log provide a means to better structure clinical education? Med Educ. 1999;33(2):89–94. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2923.1999.00285.x. [PubMed: 10211257].
- Chickering AW. The modern American college. Responding to new realities of diverse students and a changing society. San Francisco: Jessy Bass Pub; 1981. p. 378–83.
- Algozzine B, Gretes J, Flowers C, Howley L, Beattie J, Spooner F, et al. Student evaluation of college teaching: A practice in search of principles. Coll Teach. 2004;52(4):134–41. doi: 10.3200/ctch.52.4.134-141.
- Adhami A, Reihani H, Fattahi Z, Nakhaei N, Fasihi-Harandi T. Comparison of student assessment of educational performance of the faculty with the teacher’s self-assessment in Kerman University of Medical Sciences. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2005;2(1):25–32.
- Tozoglu D. Effects of student ratings feedback on instructional practices, teaching effectiveness, and student motivation. Florida: Florida State University College of Education; 2006.
- Saif AA. Educational measurement, assessment, and evaluation. Tehran: Roshd; 2008.
- Zohoor A, Eslaminejad T. Teacher’s effective teaching criteria as viewed by the students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences. J Med Edu. 2004;4(2):65–70.
- Karamdoust NA. An investigation on the relation between students’ ratings of the faculty, and GAPS of course taught by the faculty members in the faculty of psychology and education from 1999-2002 [In
Persian]. J Psychol Educ. 2004;34(1):57–76.
- Shams B, Shahabi S. Clinical evaluation program. Proceedings of the Second National Congress on Medical Education. Tehran, Iran. 1995.
- Homayooni Zand B. Clinical teaching: a new perspective [In Persian]. J Health Med Dev. 2002;3(255-62).
- Shabani Varaki B, Hosseingholizadeh R. Evaluation of college teaching qualities. Q J Res Plann High Educ. 2006;12(1):1–21.
- Mirkamal SM. Behavior and relationship in organisation and management [In Persian]. Tehran: Yastoroon Pub; 2014.
- Costin F, Greenough WT, Menges RJ. Student ratings of college teaching: Reliability, validity, and usefulness. Rev Educ Res. 2016;41(5):511–35. doi: 10.3102/00346543041005511.
- Delavar A, Zahracar K. Measurment in psychology [In Persian]. Tehran: Nashre Arasbaran Pub; 2008.
- Ip WY, Kit Chan DS. Hong Kong nursing students’ perception of the clinical environment: a questionnaire survey. Int J Nurs Stud. 2005;42(6):665–72. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2004.09.019. [PubMed:
- Papp I, Markkanen M, von Bonsdorff M. Clinical environment as a learning environment: student nurses’ perceptions concerning clinical learning experiences. Nurse Educ Today. 2003;23(4):262–8. doi:
10.1016/S0260-6917(02)00185-5. [PubMed: 12727093].
- Tazakori Z, Mehri S, Mobaraki N, Dadashi L, Ahmadi Y, Shokri F. Factors affecting on quality of clinical education from perspectives of operating room students [In Persian]. J Health and Care. 2015; 17(2): 128–36.
- Nazari R. Study on the effects of educational environment (physical space and educational tools) on learning and teaching mathematics. Math Educ Trends Res. 2014;2014:1–11. doi: 10.5899/2014/metr-00031.
- George D, Mallery P. SPSS for Windows step by step: A simple guide and reference. 11.0 update. 4th ed. Boston: Allyn Bacon; 2003. 200 p.
- Evan JD. Straightforward statistics for the behavioral sciences. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Pub; 1996.
- Kashaninia Z, Rassouli M, Hosseini MA, Kashef Ghorbanpour R. Designing and psychometric analysis of the teaching evaluation scale [In Persian]. J Nursing Educ. 2013;2(2):21–9.
- Wilson KL, Lizzio A, Ramsden P. The development, validation and application of the course experience questionnaire. Stud High Educ. 1997;22(1):33–53. doi: 10.1080/03075079712331381121.
- Shakurnia AH, Fakoor M, Elhampour H, Taherzadeh M. Evaluation of validity and reliability of the questionnaire of student evaluation of teaching [In Persian]. Jundishapur Sci Med J. 2011;10(6):583–93.
- Lin WY, Atkins DW, Meng QM. A cross-cultural investigation into students’ evaluation of university teaching. Chinese Univ Educ J. 1994;22(2):291–304.