Document Type : Original Article
Student Research Committee, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Nursing Research Center, Razi Nursing and Midwifery Faculty, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Neuroscience Research Center, Afzalipour Hospital, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, Nursing Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Modeling in Health Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman,Iran
Background: It seems that by improvement of communication skills among midwifery students, their sense of belonging in the medical setting increases.
Objectives: The current study aimed to investigate the effect of group counseling with emphasis on communication skills on midwifery students’ sense of belonging in clinical settings.
Methods: This interventional study with the pretest-posttest control group design was conducted on 78 midwifery students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences, in 2016. The participants were selected using the census method. Of the total study population, sixty students with low level of mental health were screened using Goldberg's General Health Questionnaire and randomly included in intervention and a control group. They filled out Belongingness Scale–Clinical Placement Experience (BES–CPE) as the pretest. The intervention consisted of eight group counseling sessions (two 2-hour sessions per week) with emphasis on communication skills that were held in their faculty. The final sample included fifty two students filling out the posttest instruments. Data were analyzed using SPSS 22.
Results: There was no significant difference in terms of demographic factors between two groups. There was a significant difference between the groups in terms of total score (p <0.0001) as well as the self-esteem and self-efficacy subscales (p <0.05).
Conclusion: Sense of belonging in clinical settings is required for midwifery students so that they can improve their communication skills in such settings. Therefore, it is recommended to include programs in midwifery curricula in order to improve students’ sense of belonging by enhancing their communication skills.
- Cullen L, Fraser D, Symonds I. Strategies for interprofessionaleducation: the Interprofessional Team Objective Structured Clinical Examination for midwifery and medical students. Nurse Educ Today. 2003;23(6):427-33. doi:10.1016/S0260-6917(03)00049-2.
- Madani H, Bahraminejad N, Amini K, Rahimi A, Fallah R. Senior Nursing Students’ Skills in Patients’ Health Assessment in Zanjan University of Medical Sciences . Iran J Med Educ. 2008; 8(1): 81-9. [In Persian]
- Delaram M, Reisi Z, Alidusti M. Strengths and weaknesses of clinical education from the viewpoints of nursing and midwifery students in Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran. Qoum Univ Med Sci J. 2012; 6(2):76-81. [In Persian]
- Jalili Z, Nouhi E, Nakhaee N. The Opinions of Medical Interns about the Acquired Basic Clinical Skills. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2006; 2(2):80-7. [In Persian]
- Gray M, Conlon M, Blue T. CAMHS Hub and Spoke practice placement demonstration project. Final Project Report for NHS Education for Scotland. 2011:8-74. [citd 2011 Jun 08]. Available from: http://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/media /510818/edinburgh_napier_university_final_report.pdf.
- Ashktorab T, Hasanvand S, Seyedfatemi N, Salmani N, Hosseini SV. Factors Affecting the elongingness Sense of Undergraduate Nursing Students towards Clinical Setting: A Qualitative Study. J Caring Sci. 2017; 6(3):221-35. doi:10.15171/jcs.2017.022. [PMID:28971073]. [PMCID:PMC5618947].
- Hassanvand S, Ashktorab T, Seyed-Fatemi N, Zayeri F. Translation, Cultural Adaptation, and Reliability of Nursing Students’ Belongingness Scale--Clinical Placement Experience. Future of Medical Education Journal. 2014;4(3):22-5. [In Persian]
- Mobaraki M, Salihi S. The Quality of Urban Services, Citizenship Commitment and Sense of Social Belonging. Social Welfare Quarterly. 2014;13(50):275-315. [In Persian]
- Levett-Jones T, Lathlean J. Belongingness: A prerequisite for nursing students’ clinical learning. Nurse Educ Pract. 2008;8(2):103-11. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2007.04.003. [PMID:18291327].
- Kim M, Park SY. Factors affecting the self-directed learning of students at clinical practice course for advanced practice nurse. Asian Nurs Res (Korean Soc Nurs Sci). 2011;5(1):48-59. doi:10.1016/S1976-1317(11)60013-3.
- McLaren S, Gomez R, Bailey M, Van Der Horst RK. The association of depression and sense of belonging with suicidal ideation among older adults: Applicability of resiliency models. Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2007;37(1):89-102. doi:10.1521/suli.2007.37.1.89. [PMID:17397283].
- Malone GP, Pillow DR, Osman A. The general belongingness scale (GBS): Assessing achieved belongingness. Pers Individ Dif. 2012;52(3):311-6. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2011.10.027.
- Levett‐Jones T, Lathlean J, Higgins I, McMillan M. Staff–student relationships and their impact on nursing students’ belongingness and learning. J Adv Nurs. 2009;65(2):316-24. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04865.x. [PMID:19191935].
- Kern A, Montgomery P, Mossey P, Bailey P. Undergraduate nursing students’ belongingness in clini- cal learning environments: Constructivist grounded the- ory. J Nurs Educ Pract. 2014;4(3): 133-42. doi:10.5430/jnep.v4n3p133.
- Levett-Jones T, Lathlean J, Higgins I, McMillan M. The duration of clinical placements: a key influence on nursing students’ experience of belongingness. Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing. 2008;26(2):8.
- Albloushi, M. (dissertation). Saudi female nursing students’ sense of belonging in clinical settings: a mixed-methods study. Saskatoon, SK, Canada: University of Saskatchewan; 2017.
- Amini M, Nouri A, Samavatyan H. Effect of communication skills training on general health of nurses. health Information Management. 2013;10(1): 1-9. [In Persian]
- Sanai B, Ahmadi SA, Hoseinian S, Sharifi HP, Alaghband S. Background of advice and guidance. (Translation). Gibson RM. Tehran: Growth; 2007. [In Persian]
- Yoon, So Yoon, and Sheryl A. Sorby. Rescaling the Longitudinal Assessment of Engineering Self-Self-efficacy V3.0 for Undergraduate Engineering Students. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment. 2019;38(2):209-21. doi:10.1177/0734282919830564.
- Mercado, F. (dissertation). An intervention that promotes a sense of belonging, grit, mindset, and hope in minority first-generation students. Fresno, California: California State University, Fresno; 2017.
- Goldberg DP, Hillier VF. A scaled version of the General Health Questionnaire. Psychol Med. 1979;9(1):139-45. doi:10.1017/S0033291700021644. [PMID:424481].
- Taghavi MR. Evaluate the validity and reliability of public health. J Psych. 2001;20:81-9.
- Levett-Jones T, Lathlean J, Maguire J, McMillan M. Belongingness: a critique of the concept and implications for nursing education. Nurse Educ Today. 2007;27(3):210-8. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2006.05.001. [PMID:16828935].
- McKenna L, Gilmour C, Biro MA, McIntyre M, Bailey C, Jones J, et al. Undergraduate midwifery students’ sense of belongingness in clinical practice. Nurse Educ Today. 2013;33(8):880-3. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2012.09.009. [PMID:23079722].
- Dabirifard M, Hasanvand S, Salmani N. Evaluation level of clinical belongingness in bachelor nursing students. Educational Strategies. 2016;9(1):90-6. [In Persian]
- St-Amand J, Girard S, Smith J. Sense of Belonging at School: Defining Attributes, Determinants, and Sustaining Strategies. IAFOR Journal of Education. 2017; 5(2): 105-19. doi:10.22492/ije.5.2.05.
- Vatankhah H, Daryabari D, Ghademi V, Naderifar N. The effectiveness of communication skills training on self-concept, self-esteem and assertiveness of female students in guidance school in Rasht. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2013; 84: 885-9. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.06.667.
- Baumeister RF, Leary MR. The need to belong: desire for interpersonal attachments as a fundamental human motivation. Psychological bulletin. 1995;117(3):497. doi:10.1037/0033-2909.117.3.497.
- Licqurish S, Seibold C. Bachelor of Midwifery students’ experiences of achieving competencies: The role of the midwife preceptor. Midwifery. 2008;24(4):480-9. doi:10.1016/j.midw.2007.05.001. [PMID:17869393].
- Henderson A, Cooke M, Creedy DK, Walker R. Nursing students’ perceptions of learning in practice environments: a review. Nurse Educ Today. 2012;32(3):299-302. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2011.03.010. [PMID:21514982].
- Cheraghi F, Hassani P, Riazi H. Correlation study of nursing students’ self-self-efficacy with clinical performance. Avicenna J Nurs Midwifery care. 2011; 19(1) :35-45. [In Persian]
- Vaz S, Falkmer M, Ciccarelli M, Passmore A, Parsons R, Black M, et al. Belongingness in Early Secondary School: Key Factors that Primary and Secondary Schools Need to Consider. PLoS One. 2015 Sep 15;10(9):e0136053. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0136053. [PMID:26372554]. [PMCID:PMC4570666].
- Huang S, Han M, Ning C, Lin C. School identity promotes sense of responsibility in college students: The mediating role of selfesteem. Acta Psychologica Sinica. 2016; 48(6): 684-92. doi:10.3724/SP.J.1041.2016.00684.
- Coatsworth JD, Conroy DE. Enhancing the self-esteem of youth swimmers through coach training: Gender and age effects. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 2006;7(2):173-92. doi:10.1016/j.psychsport.2005.08.005.
- Abolqasemi M, Rostami O, ShkhiFini A. The effect of cooperative learning on school connectedness among high school students. Journal of Curriculum Research. 2014;4(1):23-35. [In Persian]