Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D of Physiology, Young Researchers and Elite Club, Tehran Medical Sciences, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
MSc of Clinical Psychology, Young Researchers and Elite Club, Tehran Medical Sciences, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Background: It is nearly a century that psychologists strive to identify the predictors of academic achievement.
Objectives: The present study aimed at investigating the relationship between self-regulated learning, achievement motivation, and academic achievement, and obtaining results to create appropriate strategies to increase motivation and improve learning in students to help them with academic achievement and empowerment.
Method: The present cross-sectional study was conducted in the academic year of 2016-2017. A total of 190 students of Islamic Azad University, Tehran Medical Branch, were selected by the convenience sampling method and completed the motivated strategies for learning (MSLQ) and achievement motivation questionnaires. Data were analyzed using the Pearson correlation coefficient in SPSS.
Results: There was a significant relationship between achievement motivation and the components of self-efficacy, intrinsic goal orientation, help-seeking, and time management (P <0.001). Students getting higher scores on MSLQ also got higher scores on self-efficacy, time management, and intrinsic goal orientation (P <0.001).
Conclusion: According to the study results, to empower medical students in academic achievement, their self-efficacy, time management skills, and goal orientation should be improved.
- Zargham Hajabi M, Ghahremani P. The Effectiveness Of Teaching Self-Regulated Learning Strategies On Achievement Motivation And Motivational Beliefs In Students. Educational Studies of Nama. 2018; 14(1): 30-9. [In Persian]
- Nabavi S J, Safavi M. Causes of absenteeism and lack of attention to the instructions among medical students of Islamic Azad University, Tehran Medical Branch. Medical Sciences. 2011; 21(3): 227-32. [In Persian]
- Zimmerman BJ. Becoming a self-regulated learner: Which are the key subprocesses?. Contemporary Educational Psychology. 1986; 11(4): 307-13. doi:10.1016/0361-476X(86)90027-5
- Bodrova E, Leong DJ. Promoting student self-regulation in learning. Education Digest. 2005; 71(2): 54-7.
- Seyf A. Study and learning methods. 2th Ed. Tehran: Doran; 2010. 83. [In Persian]
- Kusurkar RA, Croiset G, Ten Cate OT. Twelve tips to stimulate intrinsic motivation in students through autonomy-supportive classroom teaching derived from self-determination theory. Med Teach. 2011; 33(12): 978-82. doi:10.3109/0142159X.2011.599896 PMID:22225435
- Zimmerman BJ, Martinez-Pons M. Construct validation of a strategy model of student self-regulated learning. Educational Psychology. 1988; 80(3): 284-90. doi:10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.524
- Wolters CA. Self-regulated learning and college students’ regulation of motivation. Educational Psychology. 1998; 90(2): 224-35. doi:10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.206
- Reeve JM. Understanding Motivation and Emotion. 6 Th ed. John Wiley & Sons; 2017.
- Darabi J. The relationship between family social status locus of control with motivation in students. Journal of Education. 2001; 67:22-38. [In Persian]
- Safari H, Jenaabadi H, Salmabadi M, Abasi A. Prediction of academic aspiration based on spiritual intelligence and tenacity. Educational Strategies. 2016; 8(6): 7-12. [In Persian]
- Fadlelmula FK. Educational motivation and students’ achievement goal orientations. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2010; 2(2): 859-63. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.03.116
- Jafarian S, Ojaqi N, Najafi H. Models explaining the causal impact of master interactions in the classroom, achievement motivation and selfregulation on academic performance. Biannual Journal of Training & Learning Researches. 2016; 13(2): 61-74. [In Persian]. https://www.civilica.com/Paper-JR_TLR-JR_TLR-13-2_005.html
- Pintrich P, Smith D, Garcia T, Mckeachie W. A manual for the motivated strategies for learning questionnaire (MSLQ). University of Michigan, National Center for Research to Improve Post-secondary Teaching and Learning. MI. 1991; 14.
- Ashouri J, Arabsalari Z, Ashoori M, Rostaman H, Jalilabkenar S S. The Role of Perceived Classroom Goals Structure, Motivational Strategies, and Cognitive Learning Strategies in Predicting Academic Achievement of English. Modern Thoughts In Education. 2012; 7(3): 97-111. [In Persian]
- Karami A. Familiarity with testing and psychological tests. Tehran: Ravansanji. [In Persian]
- Church MA, Elliot AJ, Gable SL. Perceptions of classroom environment, achievement goals, and achievement outcomes. Educational Psychology. 2001; 93(1): 43-54. doi:10.1037/0022-06220.127.116.11
- Roshanaei M. Investigating the relationship between motivation and self-regulation of basic science. Research in Educational Systems. 2009; 3(7): 23-42. [In Persian]
- Ifenthaler D. Determining the effectiveness of prompts for selfregulated learning in problem-solving scenarios. Educational Technology & Society. 2012; 15(1): 38-52.
- Malmberg J, Järvelä S, Kirschner P. Elementary school students’ strategic learning: does task-type matter?. Metacognition Learning. 2014;9:113-36. doi:10.1007/s11409-013-9108-5
- Yaghoubi A, Mohagheghi H, Jafari M, Yarimoghadam N. The effect of teaching self-regulatory learning strategies on competency understanding and academic achievement of first-grade secondary school students of English language. New Thoughts on Education. 2014; 9(1): 155-80. [In Persian]
- Asgari M, Mirmahdi S, Mazlomi A. The effect of self-regulating strategies on self-concept and mental education achievement in Arak girls’ students. Educational Psychology. Quarterly of Educatinal Psychology. 2012; 7(21): 23-44. [In Persian]
- Zimmerman BJ, Martinez-Pons M. Student differences in selfregulated learning: Relating grade, sex, and giftedness to self-efficacy and strategy use. Educational Psychology. 1990; 82(1): 51-9. doi:10.1037/0022-0618.104.22.168
- Attarkhameneh F, Seyf A. Metacognitive study the effectiveness of learning strategies on student. Journal Of Educational Psychology Studies. 2009; 6(9): 58-74. [In Persian]
- Fereidonimoghadam M, Cheraghian B. Study habits and their relationship with academic performance among students of Abadan school of nursing. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2009; 6(1): 21-8. [In Persian]
- Poortaherian Z, Khosravi M, Mohammadifar M. Et al. The relationship between reading metacognition strategies and study habits on academic motivation. Journal of school psychology. 2014; 3(1): 22-36. [In Persian]
- YasemiNejad P, Taheri M, Golmohammadian M, Ahadi H. Selfregulatory relationship with achievement of high school girls in Tehran. Training & Learning Researches. 2013; 2 (3): 325-38. [In Persian].
- Rabbani Z, Yusefi F. Check the mediatory role of goal orientation in relation to efficacy and task value with a variety of cognitive strategies. Studies in Learning & Instruction. 2012; 4(2): 49-80. [In Persian]
- Pintrich PR. Intra-individual differences in student motivational and self-regulated learning. Handbook of self-regulation. San Diego: Academic Press; 2000. 451-502. doi:10.1016/B978-012109890-2/50043-3
- Khurshid F, Tanveer A, Qasmi FN. Relationship between study habits and academic achievement among hostel living and day scholars’ university students. British Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2012; 3(2): 34-42.
- Hasanzadeh R, MehdiNejad Gorgi G. The relationships between motivational orientations (intrinsic motivation, extrinsic motivation & amotivation) and students’ academic achievement in the english language. Journal of school psychology. 2014; 3(3): 136-43. [In Persian] http://jsp.uma.ac.ir/article_230.html
- Wolthers C, Yu S, Pintrich P. The relation between goal orientation and student motivational beliefs and self-regulated learning. Learning and Individual Differences. 1996; 8(3): 211-38. doi:10.1016/S1041-6080(96)90015-1
- Ryan AM, Pintrich PR. Should I ask for help? The role of motivation and attitudes in adolescents’ help seeking in math class. Educational Psychology. 1997; 89(2): 329-41. doi:10.1037/0022-0622.214.171.1249
- Meece JL, Blumenfeld PC, Hoyle RH. Students’ goal orientations and cognitive engagement in classroom activities. Educational Psychology. 1988; 80(4): 514-23. doi:10.1037/0022-06126.96.36.1994
- Ghadampoor E, Sarmad Z. The role of motivational beliefs in help seeking behaviors student’s academic progress. Journal of Psychology. 2003; 7(2): 112-126. [In Persian]
- Omidvar H, Omidvar KH, Omidvar A. The determination of effectiveness of teaching time management strategies on the mental health and academic motivation of school students. Journal of School Psychology. 2013; 2(3): 6-22.
- Britton BK, Tesser A. Effects of time-management practices on college grades. Educational Psychology. 1991; 83(3): 405-10. doi:10.1037/0022-06188.8.131.525
- Atashkar H, Sohrabi Z, Bigdeli Sh, Bahari F. The relationship between achievement motivation and Scholar satisfaction among medical, dentistry and pharmacy senior students of Tehran University of medical sciences. Med Purif. 2014; 23(1): 21-34. [In Persian]
- Rostami F, Aliabadi V. Academic motivation achievement among agricultural students based on cognitive and metacognitive strategies. Agricultural Education Administration Research. 2014; 6(30); 67-76. [In Persian]
- Mahghani S, Janaabadi H. The effectiveness of teaching self-regulatory learning strategies on students’ achievement in students with learning disabilities. Cognitive Strategies in Learning. 2019; 7(12): 1-15. [In Persian]