Document Type : Original Article
Health Services Management Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Department of Medical Education, Education development center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Education Development Center, Zanjan University of Medical Sciences, Zanjan, Iran
Background: Educational development of faculty members requires the adoption of clear and coherent strategies that pave the way for achieving goals in this area.
Objectives: This study aimed to design a comprehensive educational faculty development program in Kerman University of Medical Sciences.
Methods: In the current descriptive study, we designed a comprehensive educational faculty development program based on four steps of Kern’s curriculum planning model from problem identification and needs assessment to the development of educational strategies in 2020. To implement the steps of problem identification and needs assessment, four focus groups were held with faculty members and some students.
Results: The educational needs of faculty members were determined based on the specific characteristics of the program audiences. As a result of the needs assessment, the specific educational needs of each target group were determined in 19 areas and 32 skills. Then, the specific goals and educational strategies of the program were developed.
Conclusion: The research led to the development of an educational comprehensive faculty development program. These results can help localize the educational needs of faculty members of different medical universities and improve the faculty development in the country.
- Leslie K, Baker L, Egan-Lee E, Esdaile M, Reeves S. Advancing faculty development in medical education: a systematic review. Acad Med. 2013 Jul;88(7):1038-45. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e318294fd29. [PMID: 23702523].
- Steinert Y. Faculty development in the new millennium: key challenges and future directions. Med Teach. 2000 Jan 1;22(1):44-50. doi:10.1080/01421590078814.
- Salajegheh M, Gandomkar R, Mirzazadeh A, Sandars J. Identification of capacity development indicators for faculty development programs: A nominal group technique study. BMC Med Educ. 2020 May 24;20(1):163. doi: 10.1186/s12909-020-02068-7. [PMID: 32448229]. [PMCID: PMC7245937].
- Steinert Y, Mann K, Centeno A, et al. A systematic review of faculty development initiatives designed to improve teaching effectiveness in medical education: BEME Guide No. 8. Med Teach. 2006 Sep;28(6):497-526. doi: 10.1080/01421590600902976. [PMID: 17074699].
- Steinert Y, Mann K, Anderson B, Maureen Barnett B, Centeno A, Naismith L, et al. A systematic review of faculty development initiatives designed to enhance teaching effectiveness: A 10-year update: BEME Guide No. 40. Med Teach. 2016 Aug;38(8):769-86. doi: 10.1080/0142159X.2016.1181851. [PMID: 27420193].
- O'Sullivan PS, Irby DM. Reframing research on faculty development. Acad Med. 2011 Apr;86(4):421-8. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e31820dc058. [PMID: 21346505].
- Steinert Y. Staff development for clinical teachers. The Clinical Teacher. 2005 Dec;2(2):104-10. doi:10.1111/j.1743-498X.2005.00062.x.
- Sorinola OO, Thistlethwaite J. A systematic review of faculty development activities in family medicine. Med Teach. 2013 Jul;35(7):e1309-18. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2013.770132. [PMID: 23464818].
- Steinert Y, Cruess S, Cruess R, et al. Faculty development for teaching and evaluating professionalism: from programme design to curriculum change. Med Educ. 2005 Feb;39(2):127-36. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2929.2004.02069.x. [PMID: 15679679].
- Salajegheh M, Mirzazadeh A, Gandomkar R. Evaluation of Faculty Development Programs in Medical Education: A Review Study. Iran J Med Educ. 2018; 18 :435-45. [In Persian]
- Steinert Y, Cruess RL, Cruess SR, Boudreau JD, Fuks A. Faculty development as an instrument of change: a case study on teaching professionalism. Acad Med. 2007 Nov;82(11):1057-64. doi: 10.1097/01.ACM.0000285346.87708.67. [PMID: 17971692].
- Topor DR, Roberts DH. Faculty development programming at academic medical centers: identifying financial benefits and value. Med Sci Educ. 2016 Sep;26(3):417-419. doi: 10.1007/s40670-016-0272-5. [PMID: 27695642]. [PMCID: PMC5040470].
- Phuong TT, Cole SC, Zarestky J. A systematic literature review of faculty development for teacher educators. Higher Education Research & Development. 2018 Feb 23;37(2):373-89. doi:10.1080/07294360.2017.1351423.
- Guraya SY, Chen S. The impact and effectiveness of faculty development program in fostering the faculty’s knowledge, skills, and professional competence: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Saudi J Biol Sci. 2019 May;26(4):688-697. doi: 10.1016/j.sjbs.2017.10.024. [PMID: 31048993]. [PMCID: PMC6486500].
- Piryani RM, Dhungana GP, Piryani S, Piryani S, Sharma Neupane M. Evaluation of teachers training workshop at Kirkpatrick level 1 using retro–pre questionnaire. Adv Med Educ Pract. 2018 Jun 18;9:453-457. doi: 10.2147/AMEP.S154166. [PMID: 29950917]. [PMCID: PMC6012551].
- Colella M, Bisanzo M, Farquhar C, Nambaziira R, Carter E, Gimbel S, et al. Implementation and evaluation of an innovative leadership and teacher training program for non-physician emergency medicine practitioners in Uganda. Afr J Emerg Med. 2019 Mar;9(1):25-29. doi: 10.1016/j.afjem.2018.12.002. [PMID: 30873348]. [PMCID: PMC6400005].
- Saiki T, Imafuku R, Pickering J, Suzuki Y, Steinert Y. On-site observational learning in faculty development: impact of an international program on clinical teaching in medicine. J Contin Educ Health Prof. Spring 2019;39(2):144-151. doi: 10.1097/CEH.0000000000000253. [PMID: 31045986].
- Kojuri J, Amini M, Karimian Z, Dehghani MR, Saber M, Bazrafcan L, et al. Needs assessment and evaluation of a short course to improve faculties teaching skills at a former World Health Organization regional teacher training center. J Adv Med Educ Prof. 2015 Jan;3(1):1-8. [PMID: 25587548]. [PMCID: PMC4291502].
- Fatahi Z, Shakiba Z, Bahman Bijari B, Bahaadinbeigy K, Fasihi Harandi M, Salajegheh M, et al. Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of a Medical Education Fellowship Program for the Faculty Members of Kerman University of Medical Sciences Based on the Kirkpatrick Model. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2018 Dec 1;15(1): e64668. doi:10.5812/SDME.64668.
- Sweet LR, Palazzi DL. Application of Kern's six-step approach to curriculum development by global health residents. Educ Health (Abingdon). May-Aug 2015;28(2):138-41. doi: 10.4103/1357-6283.170124. [PMID: 26609014].
- Robertson AC, Fowler LC, Niconchuk J, Kreger M, Rickerson E, Sadovnikoff N, et al. Application of Kern's 6-Step Approach in the Development of a Novel Anesthesiology Curriculum for Perioperative Code Status and Goals of Care Discussions. J Educ Perioper Med. 2019 Jan 1;21(1):E634. [PMID: 31406705]. [PMCID: PMC6685461].
- Loyal J, Porto A, Camenga D. Creating a Program for Junior Faculty Professional Development: A Tool Kit. MedEdPORTAL. 2018 Apr 6;14:10703. doi: 10.15766/mep_2374-8265.10703. [PMID: 30800903]. [PMCID: PMC6342391].
- School of Medicine Ardabil University of Medical Sciences. The method of educational development of new faculty members. [cited 2020 Oct 26]. Available From: https://arums.ac.ir/medicine/fa/news.
- Steinert Y, Macdonald ME, Boillat M, Elizov M, Meterissian S, Razack S, et al. Faculty development: if you build it, they will come. Med Educ. 2010 Sep;44(9):900-907. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2923.2010.03746.x. [PMID: 20716100].
- Behar-Horenstein L, Garvan C, Catalanotto F, Hudson-Vassell C. The role of needs assessment for faculty development initiatives. The Journal of Faculty Development. 2014 May 1;28(2):75-86.
- Dias J, Violato C. A Need Assessment for Faculty Development in Baccalaureate Nursing Programs in Pakistan. International Journal of Security and Networks. 2017 April;3(1):168-78. doi:10.20849/ijsn.v3i1.365.
- Shah N, Tabassum A, Shah N. A needs assessment for faculty development at two medical colleges of Dow University of Health Sciences, Karachi. Pak J Med Sci. Nov-Dec 2018;34(6):1386-1391. doi: 10.12669/pjms.346.16302. [PMID: 30559790]. [PMCID: PMC6290210].
- Manzoor I, Zeeshan S, Iqbal A, Fahad Sarfraz. Needs assessment for establishing faculty development program in a private medical college at Lahore. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. Oct-Dec 2018;30(4):539-543. [PMID: 30632332].