Document Type : Original Article
Pharmacist, Instructor of Physiology Pharmacology Dept., School of Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Management and Medical Informatics, Instructor of Informatics Dept., School of Management and Medical Informatics, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
M.Sc. in Nursing, Instructor, Neuroscience Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective : Improving social and cultural status of faculty members is among the main universities duties aimed to encourage them to improve society knowledge and culture All faculties in a university are not active and effective in the same way This study was done to determine the selection criteria and the ways to appreciate the pioneer faculty members in order to initiate a reverence strategy for them Methods : In this crosssectional study a researchermade questionnaire was distributed among all the official faculty members in Kerman University of Medical Sciences after its validity and reliability were confirmed This questionnaire consisted of demographic features and fifteen 4Likertscale statements to select pioneers and 11 statements to determine the reverence strategies Results : The response rate was 66% Thirty six percent of faculty members were instructors 48% assistant 10% associate and 6% were full professors Among the pioneer selection criteria the highest mean score belonged to “goodreputation and standard morality” and “having international publications” In contrast the lowest score belonged to “age” and “executive experiences” “Consulting pioneers about the current affairs and engaging them” and “inviting them to participate in meetings” were suggested as the best reverence ways “providing facilities” and “fixing photographs and biographies on walls” were of the lowest importance Conclusion : In spite of the general concept of pioneer in which establishment and organizing are significant the faculty members preferred ethical and research criteria Financial facilities and earning reputation found the lowest importance among the reverence ways while respecting and consulting them about the university affairs were suggested as the best ways This shows the self confidence and high sociocultural status of teachers which necessitates more attempts in symbolizing and improving their status
- Hassanian ZM. [Views of scientific board members about motivation factors at Hamadan University of Medical Sciences]. Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences and Health Services 2000; 8(2): 83-8. (Persian)
- Steers RM, Porter LW. To regulate marginal applications. In: Steers RM, Porter LW. Motivation and Work Behavior. Translated by A Alavi. Tehran: Education governmental management center; 1998. (vol.1, chap 9).
- Bakhshi Ali Abadi H, Norouzi D, Hosseini ZS. [Motivation in academic members of Rafsanjan Medical University]. IJME 2004; 4(2): 33-41. (Persian)
- Reece BL, Brandt R. Effective human relations in organizations. 7th ed. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Co; 1999: 171-91.
- [Moein dictionary]. Tehran: Amir Kabir publisher; 2000. Pioneer. (Persian)
- [The suggested reverence charter for science and endeavor candidates, attached letter no. 65394,2005/6/20, on be half of the minister for health and medical education, Internal letter, no. 1689, 2005/7/2, Department for Educational Affairs, Kerman University of Medical Sciences]. (Persian)
- Talei AR, Pandkhahi Z, Mehrabani D. [The Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Elite] . Shiraz: Shiraz University of medical sciences; 2000. (Persian)
- Sharifi M, Jourabchi Z, Alipour Heydari M. [Teachers effectiveness on student assessment of teachers and the course]. The Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences and Health Services 2002; 22: 81-7. (Persian)
- Asefzadeh S. [Medical education and health services]. Tehran: Cultural and scientific publisher; 1997: 187. (Persian)
- Zohoor AR, Islami Nejad T. [Effective teaching criteria as viewed by Kerman University of Medical Sciences' students]. Payesh, Journal of the Iranian Institute for Health Sciences Research 2003; 1(4): 5-13. (Persian)
- Talaei M, Roohi S, Sabet B, Baghaei AM, Bahman Ziari P. Research situation among medical students:IUMSHS-2000 knowledge, attitude, practice. J Res Med Sci 2001; 6(2): 97-101.
- Alamdari AK, Afshoon E. [The viewpoint of faculty members on research barriers at Yasuj universities]. Armaghane-Danesh, Journal of Yasuj University of Medical Sciences 2003; 8(29): 27-34. (Persian)
- Sabzevari S, Mohammad Alizadeh S, Aziz Zadeh Foroozi M. [The viewpoint of faculty members on research barrier at Kerman universities]. Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences and Health Services 2000; 8(2): 18-27. (Persian)
- Shayan M. [Research credits university and higher education center]. Rahyaft 1996; 4: 105-7. (Persian)
- Butler D. Islam and science news feature: the data gap. Nature 2006; 444: 26-7.