Document Type : Original Article
B.Sc. in Public Health, Expert in Health Education & Improvement Dept., Department for Health Affairs, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
M.Sc. in Linguistics, Department for Research Affairs, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective : AIDS is not only a health problem but also a sociocultural challenge leading to economic problems Since appropriate health behavior is the result of adequate knowledge and attitude this study was performed on couples referring to Kerman premarriage counseling center to determine their knowledge and attitude towards AIDS and its related factors Methods : In this crosssectional study 1020 couples participated Data was collected using a questionnaire concerning demographic information and including 22 questions about knowledge and 10 items about attitudes Results : According to our findings the couples knowledge level was excellent in 401% good in 374% moderate in 20% and poor in 26% The attitude was excellent in 584% good in 335% moderate in 71% and poor in 11% There was a significant relationships between knowledge and attitude with age educational status and career using Chisquare test (P=00001 in all cases) in a way that those with higher educational levels in age group between 16 to 35 years old and employees had better knowledge and a more positive attitude There was also a significant relationship between the attitude and sex (P=00001) male participants showed a more positive attitude compared with women Among sources of knowledge radio and TV were the most frequently mentioned ones (599%) Conclusion : Our results suggest that TV and radio are the most frequent information resources so improving their related educational programs according to addressed group is necessary More attention to health education in schools accompanied with cooperation and supervision of health sector is recommended
- Pakfetrat A, Shahabi Nezhad H. A study on general knowledge of the patients referring to Mashhad Dental School about AIDS. J Mashhad Dental School 2005; 28 (3,4): 141-50. [In Persian].
- Mazloomi Mahmoodabad SS, Mohammadpour MA, Ehrampoosh MH. A study on knowledge and attitude of soldiers of a military educational center in southeast of Iran about AIDS. J Military Med 2005; 7 (2): 101-7. [In Persian].
- Stine GJ. Epidemiology and Transmition of Human immunodeficiency Virus, AIDS update 2004. An Annual Overview of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome 2004; 7: 208-212.
- Oni AA. Education: An antidote for the spread of HIV/AIDS. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care 2005; 16 (2): 40-8.
- Deshpande AK, Patnaik MM. Nonopportunistic neurologic manifestations of the human immunodeficiency virus: An Indian study. Med Gen Med 2005; 7(4): 2.
- Walker N, Grassly NC, Garnett GP, Stanecki KA, Ghys PD. Estimating the global burden of HIV/AIDS: What do we really know about the HIV pandemic? Lancet 2004; 363 (9427): 2180-5.
- Khalsa JH, Francis H, Mazin R. Blood borne and sexually transmitted infections in drug abusers in the United States, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Spain. Clin Infect Dis 2003; 37 (Suppl5): S331-7.
- MajidPoor A, Habibzadeh Sh, Amani F, Hemati F. The role of mass media in knowledge and attitude of school students about AIDS. J Ardabil Univ Med Sci 2006; 6(1): 67-72. [In Persian].
- Mohebi Nobandegani Z, Mobaraki A, Afrasiabi-Far A, Moshfe AA. Knowledge and attitude of health personnels working in educational-treatmental hospitals-Yasuj city regarding AIDS. Armaghane Danesh J 2003; 8(30): 47- 54. [In Persian].
- Abedini SA, Abedini SD, Khajeh E, Abedini SI, Kamal Zadeh H. Knowledge and attitude regarding AIDS among Health College students in Bandar Abbas 2006; Dena Q J 2007; 1 (3): 19-25. [In Persian].
- Momeni E, Karimi Z, Malekzadeh JM, Moshfe H. The knowledge level and attitude of PreUniversity students of Yasuj city towards AIDS in 2003. Dena Q J 2006; 1 (1): 42-9 [In Persian].
- Behjati M, Ayatollahi J. Knowledge of high schools students in Yazd city about AIDS. Iran J Pediatr 2005; 15 (4): 321-26. [In Persian].
- Azimian J. Knowledge of students on AIDS in Qazvin University of Medical Sciences. J Qazvin Univ Med Sci 2005; 9 (3): 94-6. [In Persian].
- Sharififar S, Roshandel M. A survey on the knowledge and attitude of Iranian recruits about HIV/ AIDS during the training course of their military service conducted in Tehran (2004). JAUMS 2005; 3 (2): 565-72. [In Persian].
- Chhabra R, Springer C, Rapkin B, Merchant Y. Differences among male/female adolescents participating in a school – based teenage education program (STEP) focusing on HIV prevention in India. Ethn Dis 2008; 18(2suppl2): 123-7.
- Mansoor AB, Fungladda W, Kaewkungwal J, Wongwit W. Gender differences in KAP related to HIV/AIDS among freshmen in
Afghan Universities. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2008: 39 (3): 404-18.
- Chang Y, Lou CH, Mueller LM, Zhoo SL, Yang JH, Tu XW, et al. Effectiveness of a school–based AIDS education program among rural students in HIV high epidemic area of China. J Adolesc Health 2008: 42 (2): 184-91.
- Rahman MM, Kabir M, Shahidullah M. knowledge of AIDS and condom as a preventive measure among married males and factors influencing it in Bangladesh. Kathmandu Univ med J (JUMJ) 2007; 5 (3): 364-70.
- Poorsheykhian M, Kazemnejad E. A study on knowledge and attitude of clinical laboratories personnel about AIDS in Gilan. Feyz J 2004; 8(1): 66-72 [in Persian].
- Hadi N, Mirzaei K. Knowledge of Shiraz high school students about AIDS. ISMJ 2004; 7 (1): 88-94. [In Persian].
- Panahandeh Z, Taramian S. Knowledge and attitude of non- medical students towards AIDS. Gilan Medical School J 2004; 13 (49): 20-.6. [In Persian].
- Mozafarzade Sh, Vahdaninia M. Knowledge of high school girls about AIDS. Payesh 2008; 7(2): 173-80. [In Persian].
- Taghizade M. Attitude and knowledge of adolescent girls about prevention of HIV/AIDS. Nursing J India, New Delhi 2005; 96 (2):40-2.
- Juan CW, Siebers R, Wu FF, Wu CJ, Chang YJ, Chao C. The attitudes, concerns, gloving practices and knowledge of nurses in a Taiwanese hospital regarding AIDS and HIV. Int J Nurs Prac 2004; 10(1): 32-6.
- Trajman A, Belo MT, Teixeira EG, Dantas VC, Salomão FM, Cunha AJ. Knowledgeabout STD / AIDS and sexual behavior among highschool student in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Cad Saude Publica. 2003; 19 (1): 127-33.
- Nwokocha AR, Nwakoby BA. Knowledge, attitude and behavior of secondry (high) school students of concerning HIV/AIDS in Enugu, Nigeria. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2002; 15(2): 93-6.
- Karimi M, Niknami Sh, Heydarnia AR, Ramezankhani A. Effects of health education program on the AIDS preventive behaviors in prisoners. Scientific Journal of Qazvin Medical University 2004; 30: 40-5. [In Persian]
- Brook U. AIDS knowledge and attitudes of pupils attending urban high school in Israel. Patient Edu and Couns 1999; 36 (3): 271-8.
- Maswanya E, Moji K, Aoyagi K, Yahata Y, Kusano Y, Nagata K, et al. Knowledge and attitudes toward AIDS among female college students in Nagasaki, Japan. Health Edu Res 2000; 15 (1): 5-11.
- Savaser S. Knowledge and attitudes of high school students about AIDS: A Turkish perspective. Public Health Nurse. 2003; 20 (1):71-9.