Document Type : short communication
Ph.D. in Nursing, Associate Professor of Nursing, Razi Nursing School, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. Condidate in Nursing, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Ph.D. Student of Nursing Education, Instructor of Nursing School, Department of Nursing, Fasa University of Medical Sciences, Fasa, Iran
Background and objectives: It is believed that any discrepancy between learning style of students and their field of study leads to their dissatisfaction and consequently dropping out of school The aim of this study was to compare the learning styles of Nursing students in Kerman Razi Nursing School in 2009 Methods : In this crosssectional study performed in 2009 all undergraduate and postgraduate Nursing students of Razi Nursing School (n=148) were asked to complete Kolb learning style inventory (KLSI) Version 31 Data were analyzed using descriptive and inferential statistics Results : From all students 878% were studying in undergraduate and 122% in master programs Among undergraduate students assimilator learning style (485%) and among master students convergent learning styles (444%) had the highest frequencies There was a statistically significant difference between learning styles of undergraduate and master students (P=0028) Conclusion: Since nursing is an occupation requiring interaction and communication with people attention of nursing teachers to the learning styles of their students is very essential for promotion of community health It is suggested that nursing teachers use a variety of teaching methods based on students educational level and preferred learning style
- Sarchami R, Hosseini M. Relationship of learning styles with educational progress of nursing students in Qazvin. The journal of Qazvin medical sciences university 2004; 30: 64-67. [In Persian].
- Salehi SH, Soleimani B, Amini P, Shahnooshi E. A survey of relation between learning styles and preferred teaching methods in students of nursing, Isfahan university of medical sciences. Iranian Journal of Medical Education 2000; 1(1): 40-46. [In Persian].
- Ghodsbin F, shafakhah M. The accelerators and preventive factors of learning clinical skills: views of nursing students. Iranian Journal of Medical Education 2007; 7(2): 343-352. [In Persian].
- Karami R. A survey of relation of learning styles with studying and learning methods among high school students of charoimagh city. A dissertation of master degree. Tabriz University 2003. [In Persian].
- valizadeh L, Fathiazar S, zamanzadeh V. Nursing and midwifery student`s learning styles in tabriz medical university. Iranian Journal of Medical Education 2006; 6(2): 136-139. [In Persian].
- Homayuni A, kadivar P, Abdollahi MH. Relation of learning styles, cognitive styles and selection of educational courses among male high school students. Quarterly of Iranian Psychologist 2007; 10(3): 137-144. [In Persian].
- Kolb AY, Kolb DA. The kolb learning style inventory-version 3.1 technical specifications. Experience based learning system 2005; 18-20
- Linares AZ. Learning styles of students and faculty in selected health care professions. Journal of Nursing Education 1999; 38(9):407-414.
- Rackozy M, Money SH. Learning styles of nursing students, A 3 year cohort longitudinal study. Journal of Professional Nursing 1995; 3(3): 170-174.
- Haislett J, Hughes RB, Atkinson G, Williams CL. Success in baccalaureate nursing program: a matter of accommodation. Journal of Nursing Education 1993; 32(2): 64-70.
- Ridley MJ, Laschinger HK, Goldenberg D. The effect of a senior preceptorship on the adaptive competencies of community college nursing students. Journal of Advanced Nursing 1995; 22(1): 58-65.
- Lorgani MH, Seif AA. Comparison of learning style of students with regard to sex, course and term. Quarterly of Research and Planning in Higher Education 2000; 19: 93-113. [In Persian].
- Kalyani MN, Karimi SH, Jamshidi N. Comparison of learning styles and preferred teaching methods of students in Fasa University of Medical Sciences. Arak University of Medical Sciences Journal 2010; 12 (4): 89-94. [In Persian].