Document Type : Original Article
PhD in Clinical Nutrition, Department of Community Medicine, Social Determinants of Health Research Center, School of Medicine, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
MSc in Biostatistics, Instructor, Department of Community Medicine, Social Determinants of Health Research Center, School of Medicine, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
PhD in Occupational Health, Associate Professor, Department of Community Medicine, Social Determinants of Health Research Center, School of Medicine, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Medical Student, School of Medicine, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Background & Objective: Community oriented medical education has been considered by many universities The aim of this study was to determine the general practitioners (GPs) point of view regarding social medicine training programs (SMTP) Methods: This crosssectional study was conducted on GPs graduated from different Iranian medical Universities after 1985 in Babol Iran in 2010 Subjects were selected by simple randomized sampling method Data were gathered using a questionnaire consisting of three parts and analyzed using chisquare and Fishers exact tests by SPSS Results: In this study 130 GPs who had graduated 104 ± 57 years ago were evaluated Data showed some topics of SMTP like occupational health disease management executing a research project and presence in rural/urban health centers were more common in GPs graduated after 2001 in comparisons with counterpart group Moreover GPs who worked in rural health centers indicated to have more attention on mental health dental health elderly care disease management and social health assessment methods in curriculum of SMTP Conclusion: According to our findings mental and occupational health along with elderly care should be considered in social medicine curriculum of medical students Moreover appropriate revisions on SMTP and continuous education programs on these topics for GPs are recommended
- Brock KA, Doucette WR. Collaborative working relationships between pharmacists and physicians: an exploratory study. J Am Pharm Assoc 2004; 44(3):358-65.
- Soheili S. Health for all by the year 2000 and Primary health care in Public Health textbook, 3rd edition, Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Tehran, 2008: 78-82. [in Persian]
- clerkship and internship curriculum in medical education, 5th high council of medical education planning, published February 1999. [In Persian]
- Garcia-Barbero M. Medical education in the light of the world Health Organization health for all strategy and the European Union. Med Educ 1995; 29(1):3-12.
- Asadollahi GA. Perspective of evaluation of medical education, Conference abstracts of 1st seminar of Medical education quality, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, 1992: 5. [In Persian]
- Walton HJ. The Edinburgh Declaration: ten years afterwards. Basic Science Educator 1999; 9: 3-7.
- Akbari M. Community Oriented Medicine Education, National report of Community Oriented Medical education workshop, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, 1989. [In Persian]
- Marandi A, Azizi F, Larijani B, Jamshidi HR. Health in Islamic Republic of Iran. Tehran: UNICEF publication; 1998: 843-6. [In Persian]
- Cooper HC, Gibbs TJ, Brown L. Community oriented medical education: extending the boundaries. Medical Teacher 2001; 23(3): 295-9.
- Ghazanfari Z, Forozy M and Khosravi F. The Opinions of Graduated students of Medicine on the amount of compatibility existing between the program of clinical education and their occupation needs in Kerman. Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences 2010, 12(1): 52-9. [in Persian]
- Adib Haj Bagheri M. Geriatic Disability and its Related Factors in elder people of Kashan city (2007). Iranian Journal of Ageing, 2009; 3(8): 547-55. [In Persian]
- Tirgar A. The necessity of occupational health training in community oriented medical education. Teb va Tazkieh 2000; 9(3): 18-21. [In Persian]
- Sarrafzadegan N, Alavi M, Rabiei K, et al. Management of an interventional communitybased program based on information resulted from process evaluation: Isfahan healthy heart program. Health Information Management 2010; 7(3): 24-34. [In Persian]
- Tairi F, Asgharnejad Farid A, Bolhari J, Ghazizade A. Evaluation of mental health program integration into the primary health care system of Sanandaj district. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology 2007; 12 (4): 403-9. [In Persian]
- Asefzadeh S, Rezapour A, Shabani G, et al. Assessing the information management from the health houses to the health centers of Qazvin Province (2008). The Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences 2011; 14 (4):57-63. [In Persian]