Document Type : Brief report
MSC Medical Education, School of Medical Sciences Education, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Professor, PhD of Epidemiology, Occupational Environment Research Center, School of Medicine, Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences, Rafsanjan, Iran
Professor of Epidemiology, Research Center for Modeling in Health, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Background & Objective: Evaluation of academic progress is done by comparing the results of measuring the performance of learners with educational goals and learning objectives The aim of this study was to survey the predictions of academic achievement evaluation of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences Iran based on the students course experience Methods: This crosssectional study was performed in 20122013 Medicine dentistry nursing and paramedical students were selected based on their filed of study and gender by stratified random sampling from the Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences (n = 370) Data gathering tool was a Course Experience Questionnaire (CEQ) The questionnaire fields included good teaching clear and standards goals appropriate assessment workload and general skills one question about satisfaction of course was used to measure their course experience Students grade point average (GPA) in previous semesters was used as an index for academic achievement Results: 318% of participants were boys and the rest (682%) were girls Statically significant difference existed between GPA of boys and girls (P = 0001) Nursingmidwifery students had the highest score (1523 ± 330) in five course experience variables and medical students the lowest (1406 ± 435) (P = 0001) CEQ and GPA had significant and positive correlation (P = 0004 r = 0164) Predictor factors of GPA were clear and standard goals and appropriate assessment Conclusion: This study represents the importance of appropriate assessment ( particular emphasis on understanding until know something from memory) and of clear and standards goals at the beginning of the semester by teachers to promote academic achievement and performance of students Thus teachers should can promote and provide students progress with teaching appropriate intervention
- Hamidzadeh B. Introduction to Measurement and Evaluation of Academic Achievement. Morabian 2002;4: 146-64. [In Persian]Saif A. Modern educational psychology: learning and teaching psychology. Tehran, Iran: Dorna Publication; 2010. [In Persian].
- Shabani H. Teaching skills: teaching methods and techniques. Tehran, Iran: Samt Publication; 2007. [In Persian].
- Ghafourian Boroujerdnia M, Shakurnia AH, Elhampour H. The opinions of academic members of Ahvaz University of Medical Sciences about the effective factors on their evaluation score variations. Strides in Development of Medical Education 2006; 3(1): 19-25. [In Persian].
- Heideri F, Mohammadshahi M, Saiahbargerd M. Implementation of performance evaluation an innovative approach, using computer simulation study of real and virtual. Proceeding of the 6th Shahid Motahari Festival; 2013 Apr 7-9; Tehran, Iran; 2013. [In Persian].
- Kember D, Leung DYP. Development of a questionnaire for assessing students' perceptions of the teaching and learning environment and its use in quality assurance. Learning Environments Research 2009; 12(1): 15-29.
- Dill DD, Beerkens M. Public policy for academic quality: analyses of innovative policy instruments. London, UK: Springer; 2010.
- Price L, Richardson J, Robinson B, Ding X, Sun X, Han C. Approaches to studying and perceptions of the academic environment among university students in China. Pacific Journal of Education 2011; 31(2): 159-75.
- Parsa A, Saketi P. Learning approaches, learning outcomes and student perceptions of academic courses curriculum implemented. Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities of Shiraz University 2006; 26(3): 1-24. [In Persian].
- Shaeeri MR. A study of examination anxiety and academic achievement of high school students with regard to their sex and field of study. Training and Learning Researches 2004; 1(6): 55-62. [In Persian].
- Saif AA, Fathabadi J. Different approaches to lesson study and the relationship of study skills with academic achievement, gender and educational experience of university students. Daneshvar Raftar 2008; 15(33): 29-40. [In Persian].
- Shokri O, Kadivar P, Farzad V, Sangari AK. Role of personality traits and learning approaches on academic achievement of university students. Psychological Research 2007; 9(3-4): 65-85. [In Persian].
- Shakornia A, Elhampoor H, Ghaforian Broogerdnia M, Saedian SR. Nursing and medical students' studying and learning approaches. Jentashapir 2012; 2(4): 20112. [In Persian].
- Chamorro-Premuzic T, Furnham A. Personality, intelligence and approaches to learning as predictors of academic performance. Personality and Individual Differences 2008; 44(7): 1596-603.
- Lizzio A, Wilson K, Simons R. University Students' Perceptions of the Learning Environment and Academic Outcomes: Implications for theory and practice. Studies in Higher Education 2002; 27(1): 27-52.
- Wilson KL, Lizzio A, Ramsden P. The development, validation and application of the Course Experience Questionnaire. Studies in Higher Education 1997; 22(1): 33-53.
- Diseth A. Approaches to learning, course experience and examination grade among undergraduate psychology students: testing of mediator effects and construct validity. Studies in Higher Education 2007; 32(3): 373-88.
- Yamini M, Kadivar P, Farzad V, Moradi AR. The relationship between perception or social constructive learning environments and thinking styles with deep approach to learning and learning outcomes. Journal of Psychology 2008; 3(12): 114-46. [In Persian].
- Ganji H. Evaluation of students academic achievement in elementary schools. Tehran, Iran: Besat Publication; 2013. [In Persian].
- Hosseini Tabatabaie F, Ghadimi Moghadam MM. Survey of factors of girls compared to boys' achievement in Khorasan Razavi, North and South. Curriculum Planning 2006; 15: 119-47. [In Persian].
- Abadi B, Zamani GH. Factors affecting agricultural students' academic achievement: a case of college of agriculture, Shiraz University. Iranian Agricultural Extension and Education Journal 2009; 5(2): 31-43.